Dog Den 2

RayJ

Dog Den 2

Post by RayJ » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:27 am

Do the dogs just learn how to use the swinging door into the dog house? I just got a new pointer that doesn't seem to be comprehending the concept and I don't want him freezing out there.

Xhipi1

Re: Dog Den 2

Post by Xhipi1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:32 am

you can show him a couple of times by closing the door and sticking your hand out through the doggy door with a small treat in hand. once he begins to sniff your hand pull your hand slowly inside and the dog should follow. do this a couple of times with and without the treat.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:46 am

Eventually they will learn. I too had a young setter that "didn't get it". I took the lid off the top and held the door open for him. He came in for a treat and I repeated a couple times. If it is cold enough they will figure it out. You can also leave the door open for a few days and let them go in and out without the door. Then try the open top or treat tricks with the doors open and then closed.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:30 am

Funny you should mention this. I have 3 dog dens and none of my current pooches will use them. They would rather freeze than go through that door. Tried everything, they just won't do it. I had 3 other dogs that would use them though.

So, when it gets cold, in the garage they go! They aren't spoiled or anything.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:06 pm

I had to put the food dish inside the Dog den a time or two before they figured it out. They got hungry.
Tom

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:57 pm

You can lock the door open and feed inside. After they get used to sleeping and eating in there feed inside and while they are eating close the door. They will push to get out eventually.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:13 pm

We have a dog door in our back door. When the back door is shut, I have a dog who will continue to bang her head on the closed door to get through. :roll:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

D Bros.

Post by D Bros. » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:44 am

I've got a Dog Den 3 for my Lab. Starting out, I just latched the door open for a couple days to let him get used to his new house. Once I let the door down, it only took him a few minutes to figure it out.

Best dog house I've ever had. Certainly money well spent.