Few pics from today's hunt

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Few pics from today's hunt

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:40 pm

Here are some pics from the end of today's hunt. Hunted for about 3 hours to get these 2 birds. Numbers are down this year but I won't give up and gonna try and get the dogs on some quail tomorrow after me and a buddy who will be hiring on for the police force go pistol shooting tomorrow morning.

SetterNut

Re: Few pics from today's hunt

Post by SetterNut » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Looks like a productive hunt, congrats.
Pheasants are nice, but its the quail that I like to hunt with the pointing dogs.
Steve

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:58 am

It's nice to see that you can still hit them. After the other day, I was concerned for you. :D
Congrats. Reb is looking good.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:40 am

I missed all morning and had to come back in the afternoon. Truth be told to get those 2 I only hunted about an hour the other 2 hours were spent missing on other birds and seeing hens. Saw about 20 birds in 2 fields, though. Not too bad. It is taking some getting used to after getting this shotgun back from Briley. I used to be lights out with it but after they replaced the barrels it's like shooting a brand new gun rather than one I have owned for years. I was getting to the point where I was about to throw the gun at the birds rather than shoot at them.

homestead setters

Post by homestead setters » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:32 am

Good pictures and a good looking pointer too. What is his bloodline?

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:39 am

tommyboy72 wrote:I missed all morning and had to come back in the afternoon. Truth be told to get those 2 I only hunted about an hour the other 2 hours were spent missing on other birds and seeing hens. Saw about 20 birds in 2 fields, though. Not too bad. It is taking some getting used to after getting this shotgun back from Briley. I used to be lights out with it but after they replaced the barrels it's like shooting a brand new gun rather than one I have owned for years. I was getting to the point where I was about to throw the gun at the birds rather than shoot at them.

I'll bet the gun is shooting the same, you are just thinking about it more becuase of the barrel change. I know that when I am thinking, rather than confidently looking at the bird and shooting, I can have shooting problems. With my 6 month old pup at the end of last season, I missed 9 pointed quail in a row over him. I was not focusing on the birds to start with, then it became a mental problem.
Steve

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:33 pm

homestead setters wrote:Good pictures and a good looking pointer too. What is his bloodline?
His pedigree is in my signature. He has some Bayou Teche, Fiddling Rocky Boy, Miller, Additions Go Boy, Whippoorwill, and just a small amount of Elhew. He is out of a kennel in Lawton and all the dogs in his ped. are trial dogs. He is one he!! of a wild bird dog and throws some darn nice wild bird and trial pups too.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:39 pm

SetterNut wrote:I'll bet the gun is shooting the same, you are just thinking about it more becuase of the barrel change. I know that when I am thinking, rather than confidently looking at the bird and shooting, I can have shooting problems. With my 6 month old pup at the end of last season, I missed 9 pointed quail in a row over him. I was not focusing on the birds to start with, then it became a mental problem.
That or I was trying to aim it like a rifle rather than just throwing it up and pulling the trigger like I should have. In any case I redeemed myself in the afternoon. :D

I need to get out on some quail. Went out for some more pheasant this afternoon but didn't get into any but sure was impressed with my 4 month old pup, Lucy, and the way she is coming along.