Shooting Dog vs All Age

myerstenn

Re: Shooting Dog vs All Age

Post by myerstenn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:17 am

Saddle wrote:This is almost uniquely an AKC thing. If a dog wins the shooting dog in an American field trial he probably won't be in the mix in the all age nor should he be.

That shows even more of what you dont know . Maybe you ought to get of the couch more often

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:38 am

Saddle wrote:I doubt it. The dog is either a shooting dog or an all age dog. Good judges know the difference.
I have to agree a fish has never been a good runner, my 2c.

Can a AA dog not find the birds in a smaller area with lots of birds?
But
A close working dog can never get out like a AA dog :roll:

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:15 am

Questions to the topic meant to promote a little understanding of the differences...

1) Is distance/range the only difference between SD and AA?? Given equal desire, application, manners and style....what separates SD from AA??

2) Can't judges differ in their definition of what constitutes an SD or AA dog?? and still be within the respective definitions??

3) Haven't there been dogs that have run both types of performance??

4) If dogs are capable of adapting to the hunter on foot as opposed to the hunter on horseback, wide open grass as opposed to thick brushlands, etc.....couldn't a dog recognize certain conditions and adjust accordingly??

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:47 am

JKP wrote:Questions to the topic meant to promote a little understanding of the differences...

1) Is distance/range the only difference between SD and AA?? Given equal desire, application, manners and style....what separates SD from AA??

2) Can't judges differ in their definition of what constitutes an SD or AA dog?? and still be within the respective definitions??

3) Haven't there been dogs that have run both types of performance??

4) If dogs are capable of adapting to the hunter on foot as opposed to the hunter on horseback, wide open grass as opposed to thick brushlands, etc.....couldn't a dog recognize certain conditions and adjust accordingly??

The following are my opinions on the above questions :

1) No
It is NOT a matter of range. It is(or should be, IMO) all about the level of independence in the dog's search for game and to an extent, the way in which it conducts that search. A wide open, expansive venue makes the manner of the search more easily seen.

2) Yes
Judges should each have their own personal vision of what an ideal dog performance should be. Theis should be the benchmark by which they measure the performances in front of them. obviously each person';sion will be somewhat different.

3) Yes. No discussion needed. There have been bird dogs that have done all that has been asked of them.

4) Yes. Again, no discussion needed. A dog that does not adapt to the terrain placed in front of it will not hunt the terrain in the most effecticve and productive manner.

RayG

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:57 am

Your No. 4 question is the one that bothers me. Every time we have a discussion of this nature the same people who are now saying that there is a difference will say that the trial dog makes a great foot hunting dog because they are smart enough to adjust their range. I just don't see how you can be on both sides of the fence. A good judge can tell the difference is probably a true statement but the difference is the stake they are running in and not the dog. Trialers have taught me that good dogs do not come with labels but can adjust to the range and and capabilities needed for any type of activity from couch potato to mile or more range in the field. But now we are being told that isn't true, that good judges can tell if the dog is an AA or shooting dog by looking at the running order I guess or maybe from past performances.

It is always a problem when we need judges to decide who wins rather than results, no matter what venue such as diving, skating, or trialing compared to baseball, the hundred yard dash, or a even real life. Have you ever noticed that the judges are only needed for man made games and not for anything really important.

JMO
Ezzy

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:51 am

The primar difference is the horse. Because all good field trial dogs must be able to relocate, they get very good at handling in a tight area, but must open up when the handler remounts. Since A-A and Shooting dog are both horseback handled, that que is missing.

There is a reason that All Age is considered the majors, there are just fewer dogs and handlers that can do it well.

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 am

Francois P vd Walt wrote:
Saddle wrote:I doubt it. The dog is either a shooting dog or an all age dog. Good judges know the difference.

A close working dog is also not a shooting dog.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:28 am

Myers I get off the couch enough!

I will say this. I rode at 4 ch last year and only saw a couple dogs put down (in my opinion of what was) a true all age race. Most were shooting dogs.

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:53 am

the question I have is

is Ames an "all age" course?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 am

jasonw99 wrote:the question I have is

I would say that Ames is a GREAT Shooting dog course. It is most certainly big enough and expansive enough to accomodate an all age dog and an all age ground application, but it has far too many twists and turns to be considered a GREAT all age course.

My opinion is based on rather limited exposure to what are generally considered by others to be good all age grounds. There are many folks with more informed opinions on the subject.

RayG

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:22 am

ezzy333 wrote:Your No. 4 question is the one that bothers me. Every time we have a discussion of this nature the same people who are now saying that there is a difference will say that the trial dog makes a great foot hunting dog because they are smart enough to adjust their range. I just don't see how you can be on both sides of the fence. A good judge can tell the difference is probably a true statement but the difference is the stake they are running in and not the dog. Trialers have taught me that good dogs do not come with labels but can adjust to the range and and capabilities needed for any type of activity from couch potato to mile or more range in the field. But now we are being told that isn't true, that good judges can tell if the dog is an AA or shooting dog by looking at the running order I guess or maybe from past performances.

It is always a problem when we need judges to decide who wins rather than results, no matter what venue such as diving, skating, or trialing compared to baseball, the hundred yard dash, or a even real life. Have you ever noticed that the judges are only needed for man made games and not for anything really important.

JMO
Ezzy

What bothers me is when folks "change the rules".

WHO said, in this discussion that trial dogs make great hunting dogs? NOBODY. That is a cheap lawyer trick. Stick to the discussion or start one of your own.

RayG

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:37 am

RayGubernat wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Your No. 4 question is the one that bothers me. Every time we have a discussion of this nature the same people who are now saying that there is a difference will say that the trial dog makes a great foot hunting dog because they are smart enough to adjust their range. I just don't see how you can be on both sides of the fence. A good judge can tell the difference is probably a true statement but the difference is the stake they are running in and not the dog. Trialers have taught me that good dogs do not come with labels but can adjust to the range and and capabilities needed for any type of activity from couch potato to mile or more range in the field. But now we are being told that isn't true, that good judges can tell if the dog is an AA or shooting dog by looking at the running order I guess or maybe from past performances.

JMO
Ezzy

What bothers me is when folks "change the rules".

WHO said, in this discussion that trial dogs make great hunting dogs? NOBODY. That is a cheap lawyer trick. Stick to the discussion or start one of your own.

RayG
Ray, you must not have followed what I meant to say due to my inability to write. All I said was on one hand people say a dog can go from AA to foot hunting dog and then those same people question when a dog goes from AA to shooting dog. Don't believe I in anyway tried to change the rules and really don't see why that should be in a new thread when it is about someone saying a shooting dog can't win an AA stake or vice versa.

If you want to know who made that comparison on this thread, I DID, and it was made simply to illustrate the inconsistency of so many people who will say whatever they think advances their position whether accurate or not. And further more I never took a position other than it bothers me when this happens.

Ezzy

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Redneck wrote:
Francois P vd Walt wrote:

A close working dog is also not a shooting dog.
On a prairie venue a shooting dog is a close working dog.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:08 pm

I think dogs that foot hunt and trial, learn the difference based on a shotgun, blaze orange, and most importantly, the horse. Bringing an AA or SD into SD or GD range in a trial is going to be tougher IMO because the dog doesn't know that's its running AA or SD. All it knows is that's its in a trial and has about 1 hr on the ground. I also think it takes a dog one or two trials, or foot hunts, to get back into trialing or hunting mode. At least that's what I've seen with my dog. She can't go back and fourth from weekend to weekend, but she can run trials for a couple months and then hunt for a couple months.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Ezzy is taking too superficial a look at this problem because it suits his own agenda.

Given the right exposure and experience almost any field trial dog can play the shorter game - AA to SD, SD to WSD, WSD to Small Covert Hunting Dog. But the obverse is not true. The majority of dogs will never expand to the longer game regardless of exposure and training.

If you want to have a dog that will run anywhere and be competitive you better get an AA dog and then give it the experience it needs to be able to make the adjustments (and as a handler you need to be able to teach the dog the cues you need for the adjustments to be made.)

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:29 pm

I don't necessarily agree. I would imagine there are coverdogs and walking SD that could compete in the HB SD game given that the be brought along for it properly.

You could argue it both ways, are Richfields Silver Lining and Chasehills Little Bud HB dogs that have had success in the woods or are they coverdogs that have had success in thd HB world?

I spoke to a pro this fall who has had success in all venues and he told me that alot of the coverdogs could play the HB game given the chance, not all, but a fair amount.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:12 pm

Winchey wrote:I don't necessarily agree. I would imagine there are coverdogs and walking SD that could compete in the HB SD game given that the be brought along for it properly.

You could argue it both ways, are Richfields Silver Lining and Chasehills Little Bud HB dogs that have had success in the woods or are they coverdogs that have had success in thd HB world?

I spoke to a pro this fall who has had success in all venues and he told me that alot of the coverdogs could play the HB game given the chance, not all, but a fair amount.
From my experience this is right. I haven't run Coverdog but I have had and seen some very good hunting dogs do well in trials when they were older that had no prior trainig other than being allowed to range especially when you get on a horse or a 4 wheeler.

Ezzy

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:21 pm

If you watch Grubb, Luke, Mike Hester, Gilhouse, and others that have successfully made the transition from SD to A-A, in A-A they ride a bit faster at breakaway, use the go whistle a bit more, let the dog go deeper before calling on them, they use the scout more, a lot more catch and run, when they ride for the dog they don't bring them back, but send them on, When given a choice they will pick the longer edge that leads to the front. They also seem more excited, transferring energy to the dog.

The good handlers, HANDLE. The great dogs respond.

I have never believed the SD a lessor A-A,

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:32 pm

jasonw99 wrote:the question I have is

Were it not I don't think those dogs with prairie A-A wins would do as well as they do at Ames.

I have been hearing since 1963 how tight Ames is. I have ridden many miles there, ran and scouted dogs, I just don't see it. There are a lot of twists and turns, a good bit of woods, but lots of places you can show a good one two or three fields to the front. The dogs run bigger in the Hobart Ames and the Ames Amatuteur since they are not paced for 3 hours.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:37 pm

You have to admit Neil that the grounds are pretty tight at Ames. That's why a lot of guys go and work out in that area a couple weeks before the big dance starts.

I agree though. The grounds are big enough to suit an all age competitor.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:17 pm

Winchey wrote:I don't necessarily agree. I would imagine there are coverdogs and walking SD that could compete in the HB SD game given that the be brought along for it properly.

Isn't that what I said? There is no doubt that there are dogs who run in the events where shorter range and a more directed search is required that can and will stretch it out when given the opportunity, but this is most certainly not a given.
As far as the characteristic search pattern, I have not been to a coverdog trial but have certainly hunted in such cover quite frequently and I imagine that a coverdog would have more in common with an AA dog in this comparison than it would a SD and certainly more so than a Walking Gun Dog.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Slistoe I realy don't know? I know in the coverdog world some stakes are called AA and some SD, but it is the same dogs. I hope to get out to Mortlach and Broomhill in the not so distant future so I can gain an educated perspective on this stuff. Just another thing to throw into all this, we have a few grouse courses up north that is all prime bird cover. Dog needs to be fairly short, since if it gets too far out out of bell range it is going to be hard to find, but it also needs an application compraible to the praries, no?

I don't want to come off as a know it all, I am very green in my particular venue. I just enjoy the topic.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Winchey wrote:Dog needs to be fairly short, since if it gets too far out out of bell range it is going to be hard to find, but it also needs an application compraible to the praries, no?

I don't want to come off as a know it all, I am very green in my particular venue. I just enjoy the topic.
Same here, a topic I enjoy discussing.

The way I take it the dog needs to be operating independently at the very edge of contact without overstepping it. That is not Shooting Dog domain.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:18 pm

It is super confusing. I have read the amesian standaed and Mr. Rayls disription several times. We call most of the coverdog stuff SD but from what I have seen it is the dog that can hang out there 2 or 300 yards in the pocket and has a limb find or two that realy turns some heads. And then I have actually watched 5 or 6x Ch Wild Apple Jack do just that a couple times and have the owner and handler turn around and say he probably wouldn't be that competitive in the HB game.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:59 am

There are two parts to the game - the head game and the physical game. It is unknown if a cover dog who has the requisite mental attitude will be able to step up the physical aspects in open country in front of a horse. I have owned and seen lots of dogs that will really stretch it out and look good in front of their handler on foot who simply cannot keep the pace and range when pushed by a horse. Pushing both physical and mental capacities to the limit is what it is about.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:17 am

A winning SHORT A-A dog is still in the major leagues.

One thing we have not talked about is we are seeing more Wright and Derig bred and developed dogs in SD and even Cover dog than we ever saw with Miller/Lester/House. I think I understand why, what do you all think?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:45 am

Winchey -

There is most definitely a physical aspect to the different games.

Many dogs that are in cover will pop and snap an look like a million dollars working through the cover. The majority of those dogs will also look good in more open terrain at a walking shooting dog (non cover) trial, but some will not. dogs that run in cover dog stakes and in walking stakes are NOT moving at top speed, but rather something more closely akin to a hunting pace.

A small segment of those who look good in both cover and walking venues will also look good at the higher speeds that the dog must maintain to becovering the additional ground and fill up the much larger envelpope that horseback handling both makes possible and in turn, demands of the dog. It si far, far rarer to see a dog that can still pop and snap at nearly full speed for an hour.

The horseback all age dog's performance envelope is(or should be) noticeably wider and should be prosecuted with the highest degree of independence possible, given the terrain. Thus if follows that the horseback all age dog that can run to the limits, at nearly full speed for an hour and still have both snap, crackle and pop AND the physical stamina to go pedal to ther metal for the last ten minutes of the brace, with no letup...is even rarer.

The Amesian standard is in fact a shooting dog standard. I don't think anyone will argue that.

What makes it special is that the dogs that run in the National Championship at Ames are those same horseback all age dog that are bred and trained and conditioned to go flat out, full tilt, balls to the wall for an hour solid. The prerequisite for entry into the National isn ot one but two WINS in just such competition. Then these highly trained athletes that are conditioned to put it all out there for 60 minutes, which is the typical length of a championship or other major stake, are asked to take it down a notch in terms of speed and ratchet it up significantly in terms of stamina and endurance, going from a one hour performance to a THREE hour performance. That kind of difference is like going from a 5K to a marathon. It is HUGE. That is why dogs that can do both...at THAT high level... are very special.

Hope some of this helps.

RayG

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:09 am

Neil wrote:A winning SHORT A-A dog is still in the major leagues.

One thing we have not talked about is we are seeing more Wright and Derig bred and developed dogs in SD and even Cover dog than we ever saw with Miller/Lester/House. I think I understand why, what do you all think?
Because people are breaking down the mental barriers that told them AA dogs couldn't do it?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:16 am

Ray,

Been hearing that about the Amasian standard for years now. I will argue it. I think it describes a trully top A-A dog. What part do you think says shooting dog?

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks Ray. Except for the rant about Ames lol. It makes sense to me that a dog that can get it done on big grounds then run there for 3 hours is probably quite an animal.

I think I am pretty much capped out on the reading. Although I still enjoy it. I think like most things I really just need to get out there, watch, listen and do.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:30 am

Neil wrote:Ray,

Been hearing that about the Amasian standard for years now. I will argue it. I think it describes a trully top A-A dog. What part do you think says shooting dog?
Neil:

This part is what does it for me...

"He must be regularly and habitually pleasingly governable (tractable) and must know when to turn and keeps his handler’s course in view, and at all times keep uppermost in his mind the finding and pointing of birds for his handler."

I will grant you that there are other parts of the standard that seem to fit more with an All Age description.

However, the "keeping of the handler's course in view" statement is (to me), an integral and a definitive part of what a what a shooting dog should do. The desire to maintain tangible contact with the handler and to go "with" the handler...the level of independent search...is much of what I use to separate the two in my mind.

I should not have generalized. Point taken.

RayG

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:17 pm

That says to me he must know where the front is and stay there. They wrote funny 100 years ago. Does not say keep the handler in view, but his course.

To your point, there was not a Shooting Dog class then, so perhaps Ames did like a handy dog.

I have never been able to ascertain when they first allowed horseback handling at the NC, I know they were killing birds and retrieving in the 30's.

I do know that standard as applied by the judges most often results in the dog with the highest bird count being named Champion.

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:01 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Winchey -

There is most definitely a physical aspect to the different games.

Many dogs that are in cover will pop and snap an look like a million dollars working through the cover. The majority of those dogs will also look good in more open terrain at a walking shooting dog (non cover) trial, but some will not. dogs that run in cover dog stakes and in walking stakes are NOT moving at top speed, but rather something more closely akin to a hunting pace.

A small segment of those who look good in both cover and walking venues will also look good at the higher speeds that the dog must maintain to becovering the additional ground and fill up the much larger envelpope that horseback handling both makes possible and in turn, demands of the dog. It si far, far rarer to see a dog that can still pop and snap at nearly full speed for an hour.

The horseback all age dog's performance envelope is(or should be) noticeably wider and should be prosecuted with the highest degree of independence possible, given the terrain. Thus if follows that the horseback all age dog that can run to the limits, at nearly full speed for an hour and still have both snap, crackle and pop AND the physical stamina to go pedal to ther metal for the last ten minutes of the brace, with no letup...is even rarer.

The Amesian standard is in fact a shooting dog standard. I don't think anyone will argue that.

What makes it special is that the dogs that run in the National Championship at Ames are those same horseback all age dog that are bred and trained and conditioned to go flat out, full tilt, balls to the wall for an hour solid. The prerequisite for entry into the National isn ot one but two WINS in just such competition. Then these highly trained athletes that are conditioned to put it all out there for 60 minutes, which is the typical length of a championship or other major stake, are asked to take it down a notch in terms of speed and ratchet it up significantly in terms of stamina and endurance, going from a one hour performance to a THREE hour performance. That kind of difference is like going from a 5K to a marathon. It is HUGE. That is why dogs that can do both...at THAT high level... are very special.

Hope some of this helps.

RayG
Your description of cover dogs does not match my experience. Good cover dogs do go through the woods a high rate of speed and look animated while doing it. A good cover dog is certainly not running at a "hunting pace". Also where I trial the dog better be able to keep that pace up for an hour otherwise it won't earn many placements especially if it's a Championship.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Cover dog trials are still foot handled, right? And the scouts are on foot? So I think hunting dog pace accurate. Or are they handling at a run these days? Since the dog must stay within bell range, I think this is the closest running dogs, not saying that a bad thing. I have a lot of respect for these true wild bird dogs. Almost every other venue must release birds.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:15 pm

Neil wrote:That says to me he must know where the front is and stay there. They wrote funny 100 years ago. Does not say keep the handler in view, but his course.

To your point, there was not a Shooting Dog class then, so perhaps Ames did like a handy dog.

I have never been able to ascertain when they first allowed horseback handling at the NC, I know they were killing birds and retrieving in the 30's.

I do know that standard as applied by the judges most often results in the dog with the highest bird count being named Champion.

I surely am no expert but I too always thought that the old description was the rules for the stake that was run in those days and that is what we call the AA today. Based on that is why i have always felt we have changed the rules by asking dogs to run bigger today than they ever intended. And to satisfy the ones who weren't happy with that direction they came up with the gun dog or shooting dog stakes.

Could be totally wrong but it is what I heard from people years ago and it pretty much agrees with what I have seen over the years.

Ezzy

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Neil wrote:Cover dog trials are still foot handled, right? And the scouts are on foot? So I think hunting dog pace accurate. Or are they handling at a run these days? Since the dog must stay within bell range, I think this is the closest running dogs, not saying that a bad thing. I have a lot of respect for these true wild bird dogs. Almost every other venue must release birds.
I am sure you well know that speed and range are not the same thing. They still want a fast dog. The terrain will slow them down a bit sure, but they also aren't burning down an edge rimming a field or going from objective to objective. My friend has a failed AA prospect, he isn't all that much faster then a fast coverdog, if any, the hard part was getting it out of the dogs head to not just blow out the front a mile in a straight line, you can go fast and stay in range.

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Neil wrote:Cover dog trials are still foot handled, right? And the scouts are on foot? So I think hunting dog pace accurate. Or are they handling at a run these days? Since the dog must stay within bell range, I think this is the closest running dogs, not saying that a bad thing. I have a lot of respect for these true wild bird dogs. Almost every other venue must release birds.
Yes they are on foot though it is anything but a hunting pace. For one the handlers are on a path and unless you're a lazy grouse/woodcock hunter you're not on a path much of the time. Second it is not uncommon for the judge to have to slow the handlers down otherwise they will run out of course. None of that matters though RayGubernat was talking about the dogs pace and I stand by what I said.

As far as range I won't argue about range from what I've seen. Dogs in cover dog trials better not be out as far as dogs in trials in the open. That said when you say dogs must stay in bell range the dog needs to keep in contact with the handler and the handler uses the bell to keep in contact with the dog. Some dogs rarely come in much closer than the edge of bell range.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Ezzy,

Isn't that a bit like saying football was developed for 5'10" 170 pound guys with 11 second 100 yard time? Everthing seems to advance, not always for the better.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Neil wrote:Ezzy,

Isn't that a bit like saying football was developed for 5'10" 170 pound guys with 11 second 100 yard time? Everthing seems to advance, not always for the better.
I think your premise may be right if you call the changes in trialing advancements. I think things need to be put in one of three baskets, advances, changes, or retractions.

Ezzy

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:16 pm

Well Ezzy, what is it you think has changed? A dog with the will to run to the edge of his ability to keep in contact with the handler (not the other way around) and the sense to hunt intelligently and stay to the front - has that dog changed any over the years? I would say that handling to the front at the edge of the dogs ability to stay in contact is the same and that the dogs physical abilities have advanced such that they are capable of doing so at an increase in range - the thought process on the dog is not different, but the physical ability is. And I would most certainly call an increase in stamina and speed of effective work an advancement to the world of bird dogs - is it not in your world?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Grange wrote: Your description of cover dogs does not match my experience. Good cover dogs do go through the woods a high rate of speed and look animated while doing it. A good cover dog is certainly not running at a "hunting pace". Also where I trial the dog better be able to keep that pace up for an hour otherwise it won't earn many placements especially if it's a Championship.
Your perception may be reality, but there is also the reality that a dog in front of a foot handler at "trial pace" in cover is not the equal to the dog in front of a horse in big country - the speed and endurance factors are multiplied.

JKP

Post by JKP » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:40 pm

And I would most certainly call an increase in stamina and speed of effective work an advancement to the world of bird dogs
I would say its an improvement to the world of bird dog trialing. For the VAST majority of bird hunters, its brings no advantage.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:41 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
Neil wrote:Ray,

Neil:

This part is what does it for me...

"He must be regularly and habitually pleasingly governable (tractable) and must know when to turn and keeps his handler’s course in view, and at all times keep uppermost in his mind the finding and pointing of birds for his handler."

I will grant you that there are other parts of the standard that seem to fit more with an All Age description.

However, the "keeping of the handler's course in view" statement is (to me), an integral and a definitive part of what a what a shooting dog should do. The desire to maintain tangible contact with the handler and to go "with" the handler...the level of independent search...is much of what I use to separate the two in my mind.

I should not have generalized. Point taken.

RayG
I interpret that passage the same as Neil - the dog is always cognizant of the course the handler is setting and will show to the front.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:41 pm

JKP wrote:
And I would most certainly call an increase in stamina and speed of effective work an advancement to the world of bird dogs
I would say its an improvement to the world of bird dog trialing. For the VAST majority of bird hunters, its brings no advantage.
To the vast majority of bird hunters an overweight lab is the epitome of dogdom.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:51 pm

slistoe wrote:Well Ezzy, what is it you think has changed? A dog with the will to run to the edge of his ability to keep in contact with the handler (not the other way around) and the sense to hunt intelligently and stay to the front - has that dog changed any over the years? I would say that handling to the front at the edge of the dogs ability to stay in contact is the same and that the dogs physical abilities have advanced such that they are capable of doing so at an increase in range - the thought process on the dog is not different, but the physical ability is. And I would most certainly call an increase in stamina and speed of effective work an advancement to the world of bird dogs - is it not in your world?
No it isn't the primary thing I want in a bird dog. I want a dog that can find birds, point them, and retrieve them as my primary qualifications. I want a dog that will range as far as I can see and will hunt as long as we are in the field with me. That means it will hunt objectives near and far and hopefully the near ones first. I want a dog that will hunt hard but stay somewhere in the general area I am which will vary according to cover. I find no glory is seeing how far a dog will range but rather in how far he needs to range to find birds but he gets no extra credit by hunting wide when there are birds closer. I have gone through an era when range and run were the main criteria in judging an AA dog. I have also seen in more recent years a trend in bringing finding birds back into the mix which is encouraging.

I have no problem with range when and where it is feasible such as the prairies where you can see and have unlimited space. I also know that there are as many or more areas where that kind of range is the biggest problem you can have. I really think we like the same thing in our dogs but maybe in a slightly different order. I want a dog to hunt only as big as he has to and I require that same dog to handle well.

An example of what I find a problem, my female was ranging pretty wide but I could see her. But we got into an area where the cover was getting higher so I tried to bring her in but she didn't come in. I waited for her for about 15 minutes but then started towards where I thought she was working. Finally met another hunter in the area and he told me there was a Brit standing on point two fields over from where we were hunting and I knew it had to be her. Found her standing on point with a rooster about twenty or thirty feet in front of her. She was right at least a 1/2 mile from where I was when I tried to bring her in. Luckily I knew what direction she was working and also that someone had seen her. Otherwise I had no way of knowing where she was and on top of that we didn't have permission to hunt that farm.

Range is nice when you have a place to use it, speed is nice when you have a place to use it, but there are more hunters that don't have a place to use it and their wants and needs are just important as ours and the dogs that can fill their desires and needs are just as important as what we like.

We all have an opinion and each is just as good as everyone else's.

Ezzy

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:20 pm

If we have dog owners who are unwilling/unable to teach handle to their dogs then we are breeding improperly by not offering up to them dogs whom are circumscribed in abilities?

PS - As described your female would be a washout from any trial venue because you cannot win with a lost dog that won't handle - even in All Age.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:36 pm

slistoe wrote:If we have dog owners who are unwilling/unable to teach handle to their dogs then we are breeding improperly by not offering up to them dogs whom are circumscribed in abilities?

PS - As described your female would be a washout from any trial venue because you cannot win with a lost dog that won't handle - even in All Age.
You are making some rash judgments that do not speak well for you. No dog is a washout because she messed up and was lost once. But you are right, she doesn't handle when she is on point. For a matter of fact the times she has been in competition she has always placed. I should have gone ahead and seriously trialed her as she is a good one and has produced some great pups that are performing well in their own areas.The pup I kept placed in the first and only trial I run him in but he went oversize so his competitive career ended and he now is in a great home in TN hunting quail.

Ezzy

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:40 pm

:lol: "as described"

Keep yer panties on Ezzy.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:42 pm

So you are not trying to breed dogs that are circumscribed in ability?
What a travesty to birddogdom.

JKP

Post by JKP » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:55 pm

She was right at least a 1/2 mile from where I was when I tried to bring her in. Luckily I knew what direction she was working and also that someone had seen her. Otherwise I had no way of knowing where she was and on top of that we didn't have permission to hunt that farm.
Wasn't the GPS working?? :lol: :lol: Something must be wrong here.....I understood you can always bring them in - that's why you breed them to hunt way out there.