First pup/vacation dilemma

chrissoko

First pup/vacation dilemma

Post by chrissoko » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Hey everyone-

First post about my first pup, and not the type of problem/question I expected to have.

I put a deposit down on a Britt litter that I was just informed would be ready for pick up at 7 weeks old on 3/27. I won't actually be able to pick the pup until Easter Day or the day after, so 3/31 or 4/1.

Now the problem. I was just awarded a trip to Cancun with the wife on 4/9-4/12. This trip is a big deal in our company, and a big deal personally after a very tough 2012. 5 Star resort, senior management there, etc...

So what do I do?

1. Wait until I get back from the trip to pick up the dog? I would offer to pay the breeder for holding the pup for me. It would mean picking up the pup at 9 1/2 weeks.

2. Pick up the pup at 7 1/2 weeks, and then have it stay with family for the 4 days we'll be gone? Our 4 year old son will be staying with the pup in this situation. Family has had a cat, but not dogs, but would follow directions and provide the pup with plenty of love.

3. Pick up the pup at 7 1/2 weeks, and then have it stay the 4 days with friends who are experienced with dogs, and have outdoor kenneled pointers. The pup would stay in a heated mud room in their house.

4. Pick up the pup, and then ask the breeder if I can drop it back off while we are gone? Again i would offer to pay the breeder for this.

5. The breeder also has a Britt litter that was born a week later that I could choose from, but I have a slight preference to the first breeding pair. This would mean picking up the pup at 8 1/2 weeks.

I'm also open to any other suggestions.

What's everyone's thoughts?

deseeker

Re: First pup/vacation dilemma

Post by deseeker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:20 pm

I think I would see if the breeder could keep it until you got back. Most new pups will cry until they get used to their new surroundings---that's a lot to ask friends to put up with(especially one that has not been around dogs)---you might have burnt out friends when you get back :roll: . A bunch of breeders on this forum don't let their pups go to their new home until they are 10 weeks old, so it really doesn't hurt the pup any.. The breeder also has pups that are close to this pups age(in the other litter) that it could be around. The last litter of pups I sold, I kept one about a week longer due to a hunt the buyer had in MT. I also kept one 2 weeks longer due to one buyer had a hunt up in SD and wanted to pick it up on his way back to MO. Most breeders will keep the pup a little longer if you pay for the extra food etc. The 1st litter of britts I had(1993), I kept one for a extra month and a half until the Canadian went thru Nebraska on his vacation---he had it paid in full at 7 weeks old and when he got here he paid me for the extra food and extra shots.
All this is JMO. I'm sure you'll come up with a good plan for the pup :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Number one for sure ..Too. much stress otherwise.
Get busy with socialization as soon as you get pup.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:35 pm

chrissoko wrote:Hey everyone-

First post about my first pup, and not the type of problem/question I expected to have.

I put a deposit down on a Britt litter that I was just informed would be ready for pick up at 7 weeks old on 3/27. I won't actually be able to pick the pup until Easter Day or the day after, so 3/31 or 4/1.

Now the problem. I was just awarded a trip to Cancun with the wife on 4/9-4/12. This trip is a big deal in our company, and a big deal personally after a very tough 2012. 5 Star resort, senior management there, etc...

So what do I do?

1. Wait until I get back from the trip to pick up the dog? I would offer to pay the breeder for holding the pup for me. It would mean picking up the pup at 9 1/2 weeks.

2. Pick up the pup at 7 1/2 weeks, and then have it stay with family for the 4 days we'll be gone? Our 4 year old son will be staying with the pup in this situation. Family has had a cat, but not dogs, but would follow directions and provide the pup with plenty of love.

3. Pick up the pup at 7 1/2 weeks, and then have it stay the 4 days with friends who are experienced with dogs, and have outdoor kenneled pointers. The pup would stay in a heated mud room in their house.

4. Pick up the pup, and then ask the breeder if I can drop it back off while we are gone? Again i would offer to pay the breeder for this.

5. The breeder also has a Britt litter that was born a week later that I could choose from, but I have a slight preference to the first breeding pair. This would mean picking up the pup at 8 1/2 weeks.

I'm also open to any other suggestions.

What's everyone's thoughts?
This is funny. My wife and I had the very same experience. We paid for the trip while I was in Afghanistan and then put the deposit on the pup when I got back not realizing the date would coincide with the cruise. We talked to the breeder and he agreed to keep the pup til we returned and didn't charge us any extra for keeping it, even though I would've paid it. The results were pretty good and I am glad he had the pup with Momma a little longer. Absolutely no seperation anxiety and everything worked out fine.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:40 pm

Many breeders fall into the 9-10 week category for releasing a pup to his new family. That is becoming more and more common. Personally, I believe that the pup shouldn't leave the litter until 9 weeks or even 10 as the pup learns a lot from the littermates and the dam when kept during this period. The newest Gundog magazine has an article that talks about this specifically - pointing out that the "old school" 49 days was developed based on someone's incorrect interpretation of a study done years ago. The article is informative.

There is no way I'd pick up a pup and not be around the first week it gets to a new home.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:44 pm

No question in my mind. This one is a no brainer.

Talk to the breeder. Tell them of your situation. I am positive ANY reputable breeder would be more than happy to keep one pup for you for a week or two, especially if you are willing to pay it's room and board.

If you have made your pick, great. If you have not made your pick, go there, make the pick and give them the rest of the purchase price, before you leave for vacation and get the signed papers. This way nobody has doubt as to the other party's intentions. They have their money, you have your pup and everyone should be comfortable with that.

RayG

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Yup, ask the breeder to keep the pup until you get home.

The last litter we had the family took the pup home, and brought him back 2 weeks later for 2 weeks while they went on vacation. We knew this WAY in advance and were happy to puppy sit Hunter.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:57 pm

What RayG said. I was in a similar position. It will be better for the pup and won't hurt your bonding with him at all.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:12 pm

#1.

chrissoko

Post by chrissoko » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. The breeder said it would be no problem for me to pick up the puppy later even before I offered to pay in full when I pick the pup, pay extra for food, and even bring the crate.