Dalin and I's 1st FT: if you haven't tried, your missing out

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Dalin and I's 1st FT: if you haven't tried, your missing out

Post by AHGSP » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:50 pm

Wellllll, I attended and ran Dalin in OUR 1st AKC Field Trial this weekend and WE had an absolute blast! Great Big THANX to Walter and Mary Allen for allowing me the privelege to ride Walters horse Hollywood all weekend and for all the help to get this far.

I ran Dalin in both Open Derby and Amateur Walking Derby. He was just out of the Ribbons in the Open in a 20 dog Stake with a number of "local" Pro's handling and managed a White Ribbon(4th) in the 12 dog Amateur Stake. All in spite of him bringing his 2nd string handler :oops: :lol: It didn't take him long at all to figure out that I was on horseback and could "keep up" and lets just say that, he rolllllllllleeeeeddddddd out, but was still quite manageable and had a decent handle for a 13 month pup!

A few observations:

Of course I've always heard the yada, yada and etc..., etc... about Trials and the dogs that are running in them and me being the sort of person that only believes half of what I see and none of what I hear, I had to go see these "EVIL" dogs for myself. Well, I gotta say, the BS that you hear on the boards and in certain clubhouses is exactly that.... BS! I rode a boatload of braces this weekend, got the battle sores on my a$$ to prove it and out of the 30 dogs I personally watched, there was only 1 runoff and the rest were some of the nicest handling dogs that I've ever had the privelege to watch. If you've heard the BS, take it with a grain of salt, go to a Trial and ride as many braces as you can bare. Make up your own mind, your going to get to see some real fine dogwork! I know, for some I am preaching to the Choir!

Yes, Trials are competitve, but most folks are still more than willing to help you in any way they can. The Pro I ran Open with helped me all the way around the course to keep me from screwing up and helping me to help my dog show. His help was probably a large part of what left the Judges with the high opinion they voiced about my dog when I asked for their input later. And to boot all, another Pro did an impromptu job of scouting for me without me ever asking and held my horse when I had to get down for Dalins points and to blank off the birds and calmed me before I got back into the saddle each time. I don't know of too many other sports where the "opposing" team helps you out by choice! Again, I know, for some I am preaching to the Choir!

For John, aka. Wagon,

I guess I'm OFFICIALLY on my way to the frying pan! As Greg so well puts it........ "Horseback Addiction"! 8)
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:45 am

Bruce

Sounds like a great weekend. Glad you found everyone so helpful and saw lots of good dogs, pretty typical of the trials I go to.

pear

Post by pear » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:18 am

Good job Bruce.........Funny how these dogs are so addicting..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:29 am

It's VERY ADDICTIVE. They should put a warning label on the horse when you get on.

"WARNING! May cause extreme giddiness and enjoyment. Has been know in the state of CA to cause irremovable smiles and grins in men and women. May cause bank account to shrink with the purcahse of truck, trailer and horses. With this purchase comes the additional side effects of entry fees, training bills and aids, fuel bills and hotel rooms." :lol: :lol:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

tenbearsviz

Post by tenbearsviz » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:41 am

AHGSP,

It must be Hollywood! Mary let me ride him years ago down here in FL and I have been hooked ever since! Mary and Walter are fine people! I see she has her dog Hank entered in the VCA Nationals coming up.

There is no better way to learn the game then to watch it from horseback.

I can still remember Mary telling me to "Sit back and relax".

Don

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:20 am

Bruce congrats,

I too had the same perspective you did after attending a few trials.

FTing is so great that I have just made a deal to purchase a horse that I will have by the end of the month. The only costly thing I have left to buy is a tracking collar unit. Although some things are costly the end product is worth every penny.

The only disadvantage you have is you have to buy 2 horses :wink: :wink:

how else is that pretty little wifey of yours going to scout for you :lol: 8)

Party on

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:57 pm

Don,

That's pretty cool that you've rode Hollywood before as well, he is a pleasure to handle from, that is for sure. It sounds as though Walter and Mary have been responsible for leading more than one person astray from the straight and narrow :P 8) Walter has shared a story or 2 about Florida. Mary also told me to "sit back and relax"! That must be code for "you've been landed, wrapped and packed in the freezer"!
:lol:

Casper,

OH NO! Just 1 horse! If I buy 2 it is only going to be so I can have variety when I ride!
Bruce Shaffer

Mark Twain

Almost Heaven GSP's

Mary

Post by Mary » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:07 pm

:lol: :lol: oh my guess we have been busted by Don & Bruce.
Don was one of the first newbies to ride Hollywood, now he has horses, a trailer, 3 dogs and judges field trials.
Bruce now has a ribbon what will be next. Helping put on a trial this week end, learning about planting birds, marshalling, scouting, etc.
Both of the pros who helped Bruce were impressed by Dalin, bet they will be helping Bruce again this week end.

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:02 pm

AHGSP wrote:Casper,

OH NO! Just 1 horse! If I buy 2 it is only going to be so I can have variety when I ride!
I was told you need 2.

One to ride all morning while watching brace after brace and another to handle your dog from and finish out the rest of the braces. this way you dont end up wiht one wore out horse.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:13 am

ur sunk. Memorial service is already scheduled. Are you comin' or are we gonna have to do it without you?

Congratulations on the placement. :)

tenbearsviz

Post by tenbearsviz » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:28 am

Bruce, I think they have a talent for finding people that display passion for the sport.

And you will need 2 horses. It is kind of like having a spare, or when the wife wants to ride.

Mary, That puppy you saw a couple years ago is in his first gun dog stake this weekend at a MFBC trial. Oh, and make that 4 dogs. I have an Axel X Kansas pup that only runs off horseback now.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:40 am

Join the crowd (Greg and I and some other folks). Shopping for trucks, trailers and horses. We're even starting the process of selling our house and buying some acreage for keeping said horses, dog training and deer hunting.

Boy, I'm glad my wife is making money now :lol: :lol:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:57 am

Does this mean you are addicted now??
It sure is fun to get out and run your dog.
Sounds like ya had a great first time out and saw some great dogs.

Mav.....

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:19 am

One to ride all morning while watching brace after brace and another to handle your dog from and finish out the rest of the braces. this way you dont end up wiht one wore out horse.
Yea, Yea. Thats my story and I'm sticking too it! Actually, as I learn I will be passing on my education to Jen with hopes of becoming the kind of team that the Gulledges are.
Memorial service is already scheduled. Are you comin' or are we gonna have to do it without you?
When is it? I have to figure it into the schedule since I've already entered 2 more Trials..... Uh... Did I say that out loud?!
Bruce, I think they have a talent for finding people that display passion for the sport.
I'd have to agree and they couldn't have found me at a better time! They've shared more with me than I could ever ask or repay. Folks like Mary and Walter are the ones that will carry the dog sports into the future.
Shopping for trucks, trailers and horses. We're even starting the process of selling our house and buying some acreage for keeping said horses, dog training and deer hunting.
Yep on the truck, trailer and horse(s) and fortuneately, I already have access to the acreage!
Does this mean you are addicted now??
OH YEA! and bad! There are worse addictions and this one strikes me as a he!! of a lot more fun!
Bruce Shaffer

Mark Twain

Almost Heaven GSP's

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:31 pm

UhOh, now it looks like we're breeding "trial" dogs :wink: I might have to enter a dog in one now. It will have to be walking for me, I tried riding again (and thanks to Mary too) and it just does'nt suit me anymore. Too high off the ground for me now, thought I would never say those words.
brenda

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:46 pm

How is your trial dog BTW? Dohse was running it?

It is not the distance from the ground to the horse's back that hurts, it is the distance from the horse's back, or some temporary higher elevation, to the ground, when it happens in a disorganized fashion. Ouch!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:00 pm

He is now a FooFoo dog. 10 pts toward a Dual. Searching for that all illusive 2nd major win. He is entered in hunt tests next month for a MH. He is a very talented trial dog with potential, we believe, to be Nat'l calibur, but decisions were made to go for that Dual.
brenda

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:22 pm

snips wrote:UhOh, now it looks like we're breeding "trial" dogs :wink:
NOPE! Just wonderful Hunting, NSTRA, NAVHDA, Show, Trial, Companion GSP's.... SHEWWWW, that was a lot to type! Did I cover everything?? 8) :lol:
OH, I forgot Hunt Testing.....
Last edited by AHGSP on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Shaffer

Mark Twain

Almost Heaven GSP's

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:31 pm

snips-

It is not so easy is it. A dog gets on a roll and you think it will all be done in a couple of months, and then it is not on a roll anymore and you can wait a long time for it to come back. Or you go around for a year looking for that one last point to finish. At least after going through it a couple of times you know what to expect.

I get the feeling that you have been a role model for Bruce and Greg. At least they keep pestering me with questions, I hope they bug you just as much. It would serve you right. :D

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:46 pm

:D :D :D You would be the much bigger expert on those matters than we are. We are hoping Fritz conguers his next indevers as he has strolled thru his past ones. But, we know about dry spells, and any dog can have them, they're only human!
brenda

Mary

Post by Mary » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:27 pm

Well folks Bruce is off to the Grouse Woods of Maine with Dalin can't wait to hear the stories when he returns with his horseback field trial dog. :lol: :lol: I don't know if he will be able to stay on the ground long enough to find a grouse and I don't think there are many on cloud nine.

:lol: Bruce and Dalin got third in Open Derby this week end. :lol:

Bruce said at least this time he knew Hollywood would take care of him and what to expect so he could enjoy Dalin's performace more this time.

My Judges said the same thing this week about the Derby as the other judge and I said last week. It was the best Derby stake they/we had judged "lots of good dogs". I am glad I don't have a derby out right now.

Bruce and Dalin are on a roll.

Don let us know how that pup did in his Debut.

Tomorrow I am off to the Vizsla Nationals with my 7 yr old who today thought he was a derby dog. You never know what to expect somedays your the winner and other days OH Well

Thanks to all for the support you show newbies, and us oldies

Mary

tenbearsviz

Post by tenbearsviz » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:34 am

Mary wrote: Don let us know how that pup did in his Debut.
Mary, Saturday he took too many steps on a turn to mark and Sun he chased.

Sometimes you are the windshield... and sometimes you are the bug..