Interesting comment

Kiki

Interesting comment

Post by Kiki » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:15 pm

I was at the home of a trainer that breeds EP. We were talking about gundog games ( field trials and the like ) and he made an interesting comment. He thought that FT that were open to all breeds was unfair because the britts and gsp were likely to find more birds. I found his comment very interesting since EP was his breed of choice. I'm not trying to start WW3, but if given the same duration to run, would a GSP and Britt find more birds than an EP? I Apologize in advance if this takes off in the wrong direction.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Interesting comment

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:26 pm

You just started WW3.
This thread will give you a pretty good idea on where most folks here stand.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=41458

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:42 pm

When looking at what dog to get I read that the brittany has the best nose.
With that I have no idea and can not talk on this topic.
But I look forward to reading it.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:44 pm

No,

They will not. I only own britts I run AF occasionally and as recently as last weekend and as soon again as tomorrow morning. While occasionally a "continental" may have more finds it will be a matter of a given circumstance and certainly not a generality or a foregone conclusion...last week i had 1 find, the winning setter in a 28 dog amateur championship stake had 7 finds. In the championship I run in tomorrow I have been advised that several dogs have as many as 6 finds carded already, all pointers and setters. While it is a possibility... and i will blow the whistle...I do not expect to best that.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Then scratch :?

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Chukar12 wrote:No,

They will not. I only own britts I run AF occasionally and as recently as last weekend and as soon again as tomorrow morning. While occasionally a "continental" may have more finds it will be a matter of a given circumstance and certainly not a generality or a foregone conclusion...last week i had 1 find, the winning setter in a 28 dog amateur championship stake had 7 finds. In the championship I run in tomorrow I have been advised that several dogs have as many as 6 finds carded already, all pointers and setters. While it is a possibility... and i will blow the whistle...I do not expect to best that.
I wish you and your dog well tomorrow.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:04 pm

x2......................Let us know how it goes. (Which Championship is it?)

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:15 pm

thanks...it will beat work and the horse ride and dogs are cheap effective therapy

and we a Iin't rolling over

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:19 pm

sorry Sharon...West Coast Open Shooting Dog...just gotta beat Twer, Gelhaus, Robertson and a full amateur slate...with a Brittany
I like our chances

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:30 pm

I pretty much need a miracle everytime I bring my dogs to the line. But so long as I keep getting a rush I'll keep donating.

Good luck!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:56 pm

Good luck Joe! You got as good a chance as any! They're all just dogs and put their pants on one leg at a time like yours does...or something like that! Give all the fellars a hello from the Favor clan! :mrgreen:

And to answer the OP's question...it depends. :D

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:00 am

Field trials aside, I do believe in specific, very rough, rugged, tight cover, when the birds have learned to dig in, a Britt will find more birds. But in 90% of the cover an EP will best them.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:58 am

I don't really agree with that. The pointers seem to dig up birds just fine up here.

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:54 am

There are good individual dogs and bad individual dogs within every breed. There are conditions that favor certain breeds or certain individuals within that breed. Over a long period of time and in varying conditions, I believe that an English Pointer can not be beaten in terms of finding birds. They can be beaten at retrieving, at sitting in duck blinds, etc...

This is just my opinion, I am not knocking any one else's opinion.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 am

Chukar12 wrote:sorry Sharon...West Coast Open Shooting Dog...just gotta beat Twer, Gelhaus, Robertson and a full amateur slate...with a Brittany
I like our chances

At least beat Travis,,,,,,,,,,,,

Kiki

Post by Kiki » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Thanks for all your great responses. Not sure what the guy was leading to. Just seemed kinda odd since we were there to check out some of his pups. Figured someone would talk up what he's trying to sell instead of leaving some doubt. In the end we bought one of his inferior pups :)

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Interesting comment

Post by ACooper » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:23 pm

Does this fella that raises pointers also field trial?

I know several "trainers" that think all field trial dogs are wild eyed black hearted run offs.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:50 pm

An EP is inferior to no dog. That does not mean that in certain applications other breeds will excell above them, even flushers have their place.

Kiki

Post by Kiki » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:28 pm

ACooper wrote:Does this fella that raises pointers also field trial?

I know several "trainers" that think all field trial dogs are wild eyed black hearted run offs.
He used to participate in some across the continental U.S. He absolutely loves EP and wouldn't even consider any other breed even if you gave it to him.
Neil wrote:An EP is inferior to no dog. That does not mean that in certain applications other breeds will excell above them, even flushers have their place.
I agree. My EP has been an absolute breeze to work with. She actually makes it look like I know what I'm doing.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:07 am

Three finds and a run that had the judges attention for the hour. I made a handling decision at break away that hurt me. Dog headed for the high ground and I whistled him on it was an aa move that took15 minutes out of pocket and a return to the front from behind at a turn ..but the finds and finish were nice...we will try em again in Reno

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:20 am

Chukar12 wrote:sorry Sharon...West Coast Open Shooting Dog...just gotta beat Twer, Gelhaus, Robertson and a full amateur slate...with a Brittany
I like our chances
Enjoyed seeing you at our trial Joe. Thanks for participating. We ran Cody in the Quail CH. but no love - Richie won both CH and RU-CH.

West Coast Open SD CH winner was Hal Meyer with his setter, Lucy. Hal also won the Reg. 11 Am SD CH with... Lucy.

Big week for Hal, retired a week ago, then wins two Championships within days.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:23 am

It was sure a nice trial ..great judges and every brace worth watching ... I will support reg11 all I can

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:23 pm

Nice Joe!! Keep getting to the end with bird work and good efforts and his day'll come...just don't do it if I'm there with my dogs!! :lol:

Congrats to Hal!! :mrgreen:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Chukar12 wrote:Three finds and a run that had the judges attention for the hour. I made a handling decision at break away that hurt me. Dog headed for the high ground and I whistled him on it was an aa move that took15 minutes out of pocket and a return to the front from behind at a turn ..but the finds and finish were nice...we will try em again in Reno

That's too bad - addictive isn't it. :) That's why I enjoy a high level of competition , it 's often a small thing or .........that separates the placements from the ..........