dog houses

UglyD

dog houses

Post by UglyD » Fri May 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Not jumpimg on anyone just wanting to know- is anyone building their own dog houses anymore ? Since the late 60's I have gone with a plan that was in a Outdoor Life mag. Worked great in Ohio and works great in Utah now. Dogs certainly has days of -15 or so and no problem. I just got another PP and build him one. Double walled- lids pop off- easy to clean out- pretty weather resistant . The older dog has one I built 5 years ago- still looks pretty much new.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: dog houses

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri May 03, 2013 1:01 pm

I use barrels.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Fri May 03, 2013 1:22 pm

If there is a way you could share the plans on this site it would be great. An estimate of what the materials costs would be helpful also.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Fri May 03, 2013 6:08 pm

I know this sounds funny but I use the wash machine dog box. It is so simple. Just gut a wash machine. Slap a back on it and a floor and a door. Your done . I use a door because I use as my dog box during hunting. You can put insulation on the inside. You can do this under 20 bucks. I have been using this 18 years. Good luck. I Have pics

smittty

Post by smittty » Fri May 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Big bloc wrote:I know this sounds funny but I use the wash machine dog box. It is so simple. Just gut a wash machine. Slap a back on it and a floor and a door. Your done . I use a door because I use as my dog box during hunting. You can put insulation on the inside. You can do this under 20 bucks. I have been using this 18 years. Good luck. I Have pics
washer machine now that's a new one for me LOL..my neighbors think im nuts now they see me put a washer in the kennel they'll be calling the guys with the white suits to come and take me away

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri May 03, 2013 7:27 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:I use barrels.
Me too, but I think it would depend alot on what part of the country one lives in.

Charlie

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri May 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Carolina Gundogs wrote:If there is a way you could share the plans on this site it would be great. An estimate of what the materials costs would be helpful also.

yep i'd like to see you plans and a couple pictures

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri May 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Washing machine??? "bleep" and I thought my barrel's were red neck! :D

D Bros.

Post by D Bros. » Sat May 04, 2013 6:47 am

I thought about building one, but figured that for what it would cost me in money and time to build a really nice one, I could buy one. I got the Dog Den 3 from K9 Kondo. I've got a chewer, so the fact that it's made out of steel appealed to me. Add in fully insulated, swinging door, removeable and lockable roof and it was an easy decision.

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat May 04, 2013 1:02 pm

I have a set of plans that are digital jpeg files, anyone that wants them just send me a pm with your email address they have to go as an attachment
Or email me bobman@thomaspump.com title the email dog house so I don't delete it

They are to Minnesota humane society specs and excellent
I'll send you some photos also

They are free I got them from gun dog magazine in the 80's

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Mon May 06, 2013 12:16 pm

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/hun ... tt-mansion

This is the basic- but get rid of the porch effect. The last one I built 2 weeks ago- basically followed the design- but I made the 2 x 4 frame first. the walled it- then insulated and put in the inside walls. This leaves some odd corners in the inside- what it did do was at the door way on the end leave 2 gaps- top and bottom short side of the door ( dog house)- depending on your door width you can silde in a cut 2x 4 or 2 x6 ( fits snug) making the door smaller for a younger dog- less wind coming and and remove them as he/she grows. The top I have always cut to over hang side and front ,then measured and cut 2 x 4's to create a sqaure underneath the roof ( inside of dog house) to fit snugly on to the dog house- so you have to work for a second to pop it off. Inside that square I put insulation and cut a piece of plywood to cover and seal it. I had to change the plans a little for the divider . It's not a terrible light dog house- it will last. I set it on 2 x 6 slats so it's off the ground . Probably had close to $90 in it. The 2 sheets of plywood are 3/4 of the expense and depending on the plywood grade you go with. I used all new wood none of the odds and ends laying around- Add $16.99 to that- I bought a gallon of barn paint and painted the new house and repainted the older house. Have enought left for the pack goats shed though. My kennel is off my shed- an 8 x 12 roof comes off the shed and cover to concrete- I have 2 dog runs underneath- 6 x 8 each and then outlets into 8 x 16 fenced in into the pasture. Don't know how the young one is going to handle his side but the older dog never chewed anything or has taken a dump in 5 years not even in the pasture portion. When I get home from work and let him out- he comes over says high then takes off to do his business.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon May 06, 2013 12:55 pm

D Bros. wrote:...I got the Dog Den 3 from K9 Kondo. ...it was an easy decision.
Ditto. I have three of the Dog Den 2s. http://www.k-9kondo.com/dog-den-2-regul ... -shipping/
Worth every penny and hassle-free.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon May 06, 2013 2:56 pm

I just at a pro's facility yesterday and he had the Dog Den houses in all his kennels...maybe 20 total. They looked very durable and functional. One of my dogs is going for a month stay at that place. I'm comfortable with them totally.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon May 06, 2013 3:12 pm

I still build my own, add a 1/4 in floor to the one there with a heat pad between for real cold nights. I make mine large enough for 2 dogs each. Works well for me.