Resource guarding, training or genetic?

crewzm

Resource guarding, training or genetic?

Post by crewzm » Mon May 06, 2013 9:44 am

Is resource guarding more genetics or more of a training issue? The reason I ask is because I ran across someone who had a Male litter mate of my dog and long story short they had to give the dog up because of repeated gaurding issues and had a baby on the way. They sought professional help but not until the dog was 18 mo or so. I have never hadan issue with my dog, but from the time I brought her home she had to stand still till I old her it was ok to eat and I would put my hand in her bowl and she would stop eating until I gave the ok. I have an 18 month old and have done the same drills with him and the dog. She knows if he even walks towards her food she is to stop eating let him pass by and wait for the ok to eat.

bb560m

Re: Resource guarding, training or genetic?

Post by bb560m » Mon May 06, 2013 9:55 am

I would say owner's fault. Take a hard headed dog, let him growl at other dogs or you when he is eating or chewing on a toy and don't do anything about it, come 1.5 you are screwed. My puppy growled once at our yorkie at around 3-4 mos old - he learned who was the boss very quickly and hasn't growled since - even with our little yorkie walking all around him picking up his food scraps now.