Bobs and other stuff

Munster

Bobs and other stuff

Post by Munster » Tue May 14, 2013 9:01 pm

So what are the best kind to get? The ones I have, standard I think, the birds can move and go in and out if I dont want them to. Obviously I could close a door and they cant come out. But if I have birds out, I want them to com ein.

I am such a HACK at this. I started with 14 birds and am down to 9. One of them, I named Gorbachov because he looks like he has poop on his head, is awesome. I can take him/her oout about a mile and beat me home. He has been fun to play with. Almost a pet now. The rest I am not sure about. I may fly them all together tomorrow. See who comes back. This is why I am down to 9.

How much am I suppose to be feeding these things? I was feeding 1 oz per bird. then I found one on the floor. a very young bird, I picked it up and there was nothing to it. All breast bone. I lost that one.
I am feeding them what I feed my feral pigeons chicken layer crumbles. I would feed something to the homers if I had access to something better.

Anyway, anything anyone can add about anything would be great

big_fish

Re: Bobs and other stuff

Post by big_fish » Wed May 15, 2013 3:34 am

Im new to the pigeon thing my self but have a few questions. the homers you have were they all young unflown birds when you got them or were they older? how long have they been in your loft?I feed my pigeons crumbles also I put down what I think they will eat in 15 min then pick up the feeder. I also feed later in the day after I get home from work. Im not sure how much each bird is eating.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Wed May 15, 2013 9:22 am

For getting the birds back in you can build a bob door , but look up sputnik, there has been a couple of great examples posted on threads lately, I plan on converting to that system.

One way I have seen to determine how much to feed is to put in a measured amount and leave it in until 2 birds go for water. Then remove and measure again. I had been on demand feeding since the beginning so I just took what I put into the bulk feeder and divided by the days the hopper lasted.

Feed is pretty open, I feed a mix of layer pellets, wheat and field peas. But use what is cheap in your area, the sweet spot is 18% protein.

If you feed them grains then they will need grit, #2 grit or chicken grit/red grit, really coarse beach sand works too.

If you want to raise your own make sure there is some oyster shell available to them.

I have a mix of birds for brood stock, fancy homers, racing homers and a couple of ferals. I have had no luck with flying birds that were not raised in my loft, even if they were young. But others have so I accept that it’s just me.

And yea they are turning into pets for me too, it’s fun to watch them fly.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed May 15, 2013 9:49 am

For the door I use a downward spout made of hardware cloth, the birds can jump down it, but cannot fly back up it because they are two big with wings extended. The problem with it is the squirrels can go in and out as they please when the trap door isn't closed and eat all their food. Better than trapping the squirrels in there though I guess.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Wed May 15, 2013 10:07 am

This is my setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed May 15, 2013 10:17 am

Winchey, not sure I get it. No surprise though. :lol: i am very new to this. do you have a piture?

The next photo looks like I would still have the same problem.

I need to head out to chase the elusive Morel Mushroom, but I will take a picture of what I have and how I can improve it when I get back. I have an order with Foys on hold until I get this figued out.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed May 15, 2013 10:24 am

Bob's are easy to make. Get a piece of threaded rod, maybe 3/8th max. Get enough nuts to place them about every 2" across the threaded rod. Get aluminum tent pegs, the round skinny ones, and glue them to the nuts so they hang down. Fit it into your opening and attach it. I have also done it with Brazing rod and spot welded the rod to the nut's. I like aluminum Better because it's lighter but the birds with the brazing rod bob's don't seem to mind it. The bob's on the nuts swing easily and don't travel from one side to the other, just ride on the thread.s of the threaded rod they are on.

Popular theory for feeding is I think 2 oz per bird per day. Count in chick's too. I give mine 1 oz in the morning and 1 in the evening. Usually some left over the next morning. I always free feed my feral pigeons, they know better when they are hungry that I do. I buy pigeon feed from a feed store. Owned by the mill that makes the feed, all grains. Have had feral's on hen scratch for ever, they do fine. Have fed both the feral's and homer's layer pellet's when I've run out and they eat it fine.

If your bird's were young un-flown bird's when you got them, they should home back to your loft. But let them learn to come and go through the trap door. Tie up the bob's and let them free fly for five or six days. Then start dropping one bob every couple days. Watch them and don't rust them, they will get it. To get the right age birds, you should get them after they've started eating and drinking on their own and the band at the top of their beak just starting to turn white but obviously not white. Birds like that normally won't leave the loft even with the bob's open. Just tie up the bob's and let them decide when it's time to go out, don't rush them! Landing platform outside only, don't put one on the inside! They will venture out on the landing platform and look around the first few time's. I think they are simply getting their bearings and building courage to leave the loft, they will! I don't not believe you can teach them to trap by pushing them through the bob's as letting them learn on their own.

I think you said you lost five birds? Don't concern yourself with those, worry about the one's you still have. Could be hawk's got your five, you'll never know unless they actually come back. I started with six homer's. Got them from a pigeon racer I know. I picked out three of each sex and hit it too! I was impressed. Mine were adults that were never flown and my idea was to make them captive's. Semi-captive's as I have a very big outdoor chicken wire flight area with a top on it attached to the loft. It also has a trap door with bobs, good way to let young birds trap without letting them free. A lot of guy's build a small avery on the loft and the birds learn to trap in them, I don't know how that works.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:04 am

Mary, if you ever get time to come over I still have the pairs I saved for you and probably have some extra bobs but more importantly I can show you an easy way to make them for yourself.

Ezzy

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed May 15, 2013 11:07 am

I am not near the coop but imagine this is the entrance and the newspaper is hardware cloth or something better than newspaper. The pigeon can hop down into the coop but can not fly back out the same way.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed May 15, 2013 12:01 pm

Winchey wrote:Image

I am not near the coop but imagine this is the entrance and the newspaper is hardware cloth or something better than newspaper. The pigeon can hop down into the coop but can not fly back out the same way.
That is a great idea but, can you let the birds free fly with it?

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed May 15, 2013 12:24 pm

Mine is secured, but I don't see why you couldn't set it up so it could be removed and replaced asily. I just have a small coop so I just leave the main door open when free flying and close it at night.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed May 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Actually it would be easy to put it on a hinge, but probably just as much work for someone who knows how to make bobs.

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu May 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Ok, Sorry, I feellike I was rude. A lot going on right now.

Thanks for the comment. It seems MAYBE I was pushing hte birds out to young. I know I was frustrated thatt hey didnt want to come out. They wouldnt even sit on the ledge. Defective birds I thought. Who knows.

I put lots of food in and mxed in some grit. I will fix the bobs. I have 4 that come back for sure. 2 pretty fast, the other 2 took 24 hours. I will take them to the same spot after all these storms pass.

Ezzy, I would LOVE to come get those birds. I hope to sneak out to D's to see those pups in a couple weeks, maybe I can sneal a little further east. I dont want you to think I dont appreciate the offer. I need some birds!

digger

Post by digger » Wed May 22, 2013 8:41 am

You might like the "Belgian drop" better than bobs. goggle it. It takes my young birds about 5 to 10 minutes to figure how to get back into the loft from a small cage on the landing pad. No moving parts and they don't even seem to notice it since they don't have to push it. Lots quicker than teaching them to go in through bobs. You can hinge it so you can free fly the birds if you like.

Duckdog

Post by Duckdog » Wed May 22, 2013 7:08 pm

Another method of re-entry is called a Sputnik.
Now,...I did a bunch of Internet research and thought this looked like a good fit for what I wanted to do, but I haven't had any birds to try it out yet. I'm still working on it.

I built mine out of 1 5/8" metal studs because I had a bunch of them, and also because it stays on the outside of the loft so I thought I'd hold up better than wood.
But, wood would be fine if painted.

Here are a few "along the way" pics...

Basic framing with expanded metal floor...

Wrapped in expanded metal...
The 45 degree "slots" are where the birds are "supposed" to drop in but not be able to fly back out. The problem with that scenario is, hawks and owls can do the same thing if it's not blocked when your birds are in,
So...I welded a wire door "block" to hinges then welded the hinges to the frame.

I did the same thing with the front door. I plan on using that door to fly the birds.

I should have taken more pics, but I added aircraft cable to the front door, so when it swings down, it sets horizontal and the birds can "launch" from it.

After a little rattle can action...

I hung it inside the framing...

Then sided up around it...

A little paint and a roof...

A view looking from inside to the entry of the "aviary" or Sputnik.

But...like I said,...it's un-tested. Just thought maybe it'd help someone with ideas. You can google Sputnik trap and see some different pics and a couple of YouTube videos too.
Good luck!