quail recall pen

big_fish

quail recall pen

Post by big_fish » Thu May 23, 2013 9:44 am

How many people have any luck with recall pens(not the 4 x 4 buildings but the smaller wire cage pens)? I have some left over wire and was going to build one. My plan is to build it with the separate area for the calling bird(s). How many call birds do you use and do you have to train your birds to go through the funnel or will they just figure it out? thanks Ill post a pic when I'm done.

Carolina Gundogs

Re: quail recall pen

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu May 23, 2013 9:49 am

I purchased one of the Quail Condos from LCS and tried it last year with limited success. I would start out with ~ 7 to 10 birds and release 2 to 4 at the time.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu May 23, 2013 10:20 am

You need to get a good call bird to put inside the recall box. Some birds are way more vocal than others. If you have a good caller that calls a lot, it is easy for the birds to home in on the recall box. If you have one that never calls---how are the released birds going to find the box unless by shear luck. A lot of the time you can watch the all the quail in your box and figure out the vocal ones. I've had real good luck getting realeased birds back if I have the right caller :D Good luck.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:29 am

I raise birds and half a half dozen of these sitting around the pens. When you raise birds you will always have some that get loose. They work awesome for me and for the price of the wire, since I make them myself, they are a great investment.

Roccus

Post by Roccus » Thu May 23, 2013 10:33 am

I have the LCS wire recall pen. Birds return to the cage but won't go in. Remain in the vicinity until found by predators.