Garmin Alpha Question

Georgia Boy

Garmin Alpha Question

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:44 pm

For those of you that have the new Garmin Alpha GPS E-Collar combo what do you think? I have read mixed reviews and have heard about a delay with the e-collar correction.

smittty

Re: Garmin Alpha Question

Post by smittty » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:09 pm

I was recently in the market as you are for a E/T collar I have a few friends with the alpha and a buddy with a SD TEK so I got to play with both ...and let me say both are solid units and worked well for me none better then the other ... I chose the TEK only because it did everything the alpha did but without the maps witch is no big deal to me..... also so simple to use and I like simple.... then there was the price ...300.00 difference that's big

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Haven't had the opportunity to use the TEK, the Alpha 100 is a quality unit, I don't especially like the touch screen, sometimes you have to push repeatedly on the return icon, sometimes it won't go back at all, way to many functions for me (this to justify the cost) I like the map, I just wish it was a newer more detailed version, but,I will be able to find the dog! :twisted: I will not be targeting any IRS officials with my Alpha!!!! :evil: :twisted:

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:01 pm

I dont necessarily care about the maps but I like to be able to see where I have been and the dogs too. From what I understand the SD does not have this capability, is that correct?

smittty

Post by smittty » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:26 pm

correct

Weather Man

Post by Weather Man » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:14 am

Not that it is a determining factor when my hunting partner bought his set up after I got mine. But if you and your buddy's run the same system you can see each other and track each others dogs. I find this helpful in many situations. If one of you have a collar go down the other may have a back up. I like my garmin and I have never had any problems with my many tritronics, just seemed like the best idea to combine the two.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:58 am

Ive had the Alpha since last Sept. I bought a Garmin because I put more trust in their experience with making personal GPS products. I also had a Garmin Astro 320 and was happy with it. The Alpha is a rugged unit and features in the e-collar function suited my needs. The three stimulation buttons can be assigned any stimulation level or tone independent of each other. I'm not a big fan of the touch screen feature. But lets face it, GPS products are relatively new to the dog world and the combo tracker and e-collar system is in its infancy. Just the same, I picked the Garmin because I believe it is the best available today. I'm very happy withe e-collar functions. Never noted a delay in a correction on the e-collar.

I have two collars and have run two pointers. Its a nice setup for that.

I think the Garmin has more features than most of us will use, but that's better than not enough functions. Theyre a GPS company so I expect them to show off a bit and cram a lot into a new product that has competition in an emerging market.

I have used the preloaded topo maps on occasion when in unfamiliar country. I also use the vehicle marking feature in unfamiliar country where line of sight is limited.

I hope they keep evolving. I would like to see a bigger screen and a more intuitive unit without a touch screen.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I spoke with an "expert" today on the Alpha and will probably take the plunge on one soon. I am trying to find out if there will be a 2nd Gen any time soon or will it just be upgrades.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:28 am

I wouldn't bet on a gen 2 for a year or more. This one just hit the streets last fall.

Cactus

Post by Cactus » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:22 am

I bought an Alpha a couple of weeks ago. I'm not an "expert", but I like it so far. It's fairly easy to use, and has several features like the proximity alerts that I really like. I'd give it two thumbs up!