Home Again service?

AG74

Home Again service?

Post by AG74 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:29 pm

Does anyone have any experience with this service? when we got our pup we took a trip to the vet and said we wanted a chip. So they put one in and gave us some paperwork to fill out to register it, the service was Home Again. After two years, and never using any of heir services, i'm considering letting it expire. my question is, will the chip still work in the event he gets lost? I know Home Again won't provide the service, but if he was lost and got to a vet and they scanned him, wouldn't it still show me as the owner? That's a lot of questions, I know. And questions I probably should have asked before signing up for the service....

anyway, anyone's experience with this company would be appreciated. Thanks!

Doc E

Re: Home Again service?

Post by Doc E » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:33 pm

Let the "service" expire --- it is only a money making marketing ploy.
The chip is good forever as is the "finding of the owner" (recovery).

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:47 pm

I have had a similar question and Its my understanding that you wont get notifications sent to you or local vets but if the dog showed up and someone scanned it, the vet or rescue unit could see who the dog is listed as the "owner"......

The only problem with any service is, how can they prove who the owner is. I have dogs who belong to me but their chips would say otherwise.....I have found it not so simple to change ownership.....

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Once you pay the fee to Home Again, it is in their data base. If the dog is scanned and they get ahold of Home Again, Home Again will call you(provided the phone numbers you gave them are current). The special fee they ask for every year is extra service incase you notify them your dog is missing--they will notify vets and shelters in the area the dog is lost (and supply them with a picture)and to be on the look out for it.. You should be able to get on Home Again's web site and plug your dogs chip number & name into the data base and see if your phone contact info is correct & current. THE SERVICE WILL WORK IF YOU KEEP EVERYTHING CURRENT ON THEIR WEB SITE :D

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:42 am

The reader only shows a number that is on the chip, the owner and contact info is maintained by the service it is registered with. I insert my own chips, no harder than a vaccination, and then do the one time registration.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:29 am

the way i understand it, if you dont register or keep up with the service, then if someone calls in the chip number (after scanning the dog), they will tell them who "implanted" the chip. SO, we keep a file of all the chips we put in. occasionally we get a call from someone saying "u put a chip in this dog, chip number blah blah blah, do you know whose it is". we look up the number and then call the people.