Breed ID help needed

ranchand99

Breed ID help needed

Post by ranchand99 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:01 pm

New member here!Glad to have found this forum!

Ok so a lady we know found a pup and after a month of posting "found" ads on craigslist and facebook forums with no owners coming forward to claim him,she wants to find him a home.Since I never got the oppotunity to hunt upland game in the south I have never had a bird dog,and want to give him a shot.This puppy listens very well,and he is energetic.I think he has potential.But who knows.The thing is I am not sure what breed he is.Its not going to change my mind on him but I was hoping for some help ID'ing his breed from Guys who have seen a ton of pointers in their lives....I think he is English Pointer x GSP..Because he has a block head like an EP,but color like a GSP..THANKS!
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lahunter562

Re: Breed ID help needed

Post by lahunter562 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:19 pm

Well lets give it a try.. Braque du Bourbonnais.. markings seen to be about right, but a pic of the whole will help? :roll:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:57 pm

Could be pointer x Brittany, too, if the Britt was roan. How big?

ranchand99

Post by ranchand99 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:42 am

He is a 4 month old pup and he weighs about 25#
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ranchand99 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Munster

Post by Munster » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:13 am

lahunter562 wrote:Well lets give it a try.. Braque du Bourbonnais.. markings seen to be about right, but a pic of the whole will help? :roll:

That is what i was thinking, but didnt want to look it up. Problem would be that with a rare breed like that, I would think they would be looking for it.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:57 am

Munster wrote:
lahunter562 wrote:Well lets give it a try.. Braque du Bourbonnais.. markings seen to be about right, but a pic of the whole will help? :roll:

That is what i was thinking, but didnt want to look it up. Problem would be that with a rare breed like that, I would think they would be looking for it.

The likelihood that a rare and expensive breed like that would not be microchipped is very slight. Good observant guess by lahunter, though.

RufnitKennels

Post by RufnitKennels » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:51 am

Without seeing his body, I would guess he's a BdB. Have you had him checked for an ID microchip? All of my pups are ID microchiped. What city/state was he found? If you'd be interested, I can post his information and photo on my web site and the BdB FB pages.

Shari

ranchand99

Post by ranchand99 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:01 am

I guess it takes a few hours for new members threads to be approved..here are 2 more pics..The lady who has him now has taken him to the vet and they checked him over.I dont know if theu checked for a chip but looking at his teeth they determined he was 3 months old when she fous him.The vets,and the local shelters were notified.I honestly doubt he would be one if these rare dogs considering he was wormy and abandoned.The place he was found is a known dumping ground for unwanted dogs with no residents around for miles.The lady just wanted to go through the process of trying to return him in case it was somehow possible he escaped.she found a full blooded GSP the week before while riding her horse at the same spot but its owner claimed it the next day.I really think he was considered an oops and since he wasn't pure..they abandoned him..I've seen some mixed dogs that didn't fit the mold become some of the most awesome hunters with a good trainer,and I've see pure bred dogs not live up to the hype..Thanks again for all the help guys!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:08 pm

Does he have a tail? Breed identification is iffy at best in person. I have a client with a nearly identical dog that is known to be half pitbull and half heeler.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:10 pm

I love it when people tell me they got a new dog from some where and then go on to tell me what the mix is that made it. sometimes you can get pretty close I think but general rule is you won't have a clue. Best thing to do with your dog is expose him and see what he does. Nice looking pup! Good for you giving him a home!

ranchand99

Post by ranchand99 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:25 pm

I have absolutely no clue..that's why I'm asking for opinions. His legs have grown 4" inches longer than they were in that pic. Thanks for the replys.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:28 pm

genetic test?

could have some lab in him....take the first picture and photoshop it black, yellow or brown....I bet most would say a lab

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Looks for sure like it has some heeler in it. I grew up with that breed - seems as good a guess as any!

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:19 pm

RoostersMom wrote:Looks for sure like it has some heeler in it. I grew up with that breed - seems as good a guess as any!
Not a bad thought really. I an see heeler face. The OP's handle would seem this is cow country?

OP. what are the more common breeds to your area?

KellyM87

Post by KellyM87 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:43 pm

Pay the $60 and find out, you can get a genetic test kit at almost any petstore, or order it online. My dad did it, took about 4 weeks. If I had to guess Id say healer mix too.

Kelly