F.F. Training

Jagerdawg

F.F. Training

Post by Jagerdawg » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:05 am

at times it was difficult for both me and the dog, I wanted to quit more than once. i have been going slow because this is my first time f.f. a dog and i didn't want to make a mistake. transitioning to the ecollar from the ear pinch was a hurdle but seeing the light go one was worth it. seeing my boy charging the pile and actually having fun is the best. we aren't done yet but i feel the worst is behind us. this has made us even closer. I am happy to have this in my training arsenal. this will be a must in all of my future training.

Munster

Re: F.F. Training

Post by Munster » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:14 am

Indeed, there is noting fun about F.F.. I am on my second dog and feel pretty lost at times. You take steps forward and 50 backwards. But you are right. When the light comes on, it is great!
It does build a better relationship with the dog too...........as long as everything is fair.

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:23 am

It is almost six weeks to this point. I went slow keeping my sessions to ten to fifteen minutes at the most. I always ended on a positive note, even he we had to go backwards to do that. Sometimes we took a day off to unwind from training overload, probably me more than him. This was a very rewarding experience even if it didn't feel that way at times.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Good job!

Rockett

Post by Rockett » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Well done! What an achievement!

I'm having a lot of trouble transistioning to the collar at the moment, but like you said nice and slow!

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:55 pm

Keep trucking good job. Ive found out the best is move fast once starting ear pinch keep cranking twice a day works best. When i give space in between it just makes it harder. FF everyday till ur done is the best advice for best resolutes. Its sucks bjt needed to get the higher level. Congrads again

GSPTrigger

Post by GSPTrigger » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:29 pm

I forced fetch my dog and it took 8 weeks but totally worth it. I can say that at first it was difficult but I followed my breeder’s instructions and it worked out great. Like Jagerdawg said it will be a must for all my future dogs as well. Glad to hear your progress.

RCB

Post by RCB » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:40 pm

If you are using a table just remember that once you put the dog back on the ground you have to start over from the beginning again. The good news is that it goes very fast at that point.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:30 pm

RCB wrote:If you are using a table just remember that once you put the dog back on the ground you have to start over from the beginning again.

Not really. If you've made the transition properly from either the ear pinch or toe hitch to the e-collar you should be able to progress rather quickly. Be sure to have this transition completed before you leave the bench for the sake of consistency. When its time to introduce a new object, (like a bird) return to the bench before expecting desired behavior on the ground with the new object. Don't expect the dog to understand concepts.

Nate

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:53 pm

I didn't use a table but only because I don't have one. I will be building one for my other dog. Rockett keep with it my boy fought hard but he finally gave in. Hattrick I went slow because it was my first time and I wanted to make sure I didn't mess up. I will go at the dogs pace in the future though with two a days now that I trust myself. Thank you for the support everyone it is appreciated.