Prepping for NAVHDA UT

jarbo03

Prepping for NAVHDA UT

Post by jarbo03 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Haven't posted any pics in a while. Getting Taz ready for his UT this fall. All water work is good, starting steady work in the field next week, I see him having no problems. His first two years have been very impressive with upland and waterfowl, really looking forward to his 3rd year. A few pics from yesterday.ImageImage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carolina Gundogs

Re: Prepping for NAVHDA UT

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Tax is lookin good!
I need to get busy with the same training.
Good Luck!

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:57 pm

Thxs for sharing. Good luck with UT

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Looking good.
Are you using crippled pigeons to teach duck search? What's your method?

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:15 pm

SpinoneIllinois wrote:Looking good.
Are you using crippled pigeons to teach duck search? What's your method?
A couple frozen pigeons happened to be all I had. Been training with a griff breeder who has taken many of his dogs to VC, he always has ducks with him. I'm just following the drills he has shown me, Taz has a lot of birds on his belt and is doung nicely. I'm learning more than him, I have never seen a UT test run. Opinions and advice are always appreciated.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:38 pm

You're fortunate if you've got a steady source of ducks. I don't, so I've used clipped-wing pigeons a few times, just for some initial attempts at water searching. It's worked OK, but I need to find a duck source.
Your dog looks great, and it sounds like you're in a great training situation. Keep up the good work.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:52 pm

Looking good. Are you testing at Heartland in Oct.?

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:50 pm

High Voltage wrote:Looking good. Are you testing at Heartland in Oct.?

That's the plan. Was gonna look into the training days for Sept and Oct also.

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:40 am

Im also training for UT in August. Need to work more steadiness and havent had the opportunity to get any good duck searches or blind steadiness yet. Im pretty excited about it and nervous all at once.

i have one big obsticle to over come at that is, sometimes when I approach to flush, he looks as though he is on hydrolics and ends up laying down. :oops: I created this by using my "halt' whistle on him when he would break on a bird. But hey, it makes him steady as a rock! :roll: :lol:

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:28 am

jarbo03 wrote:

Come on up, I should be at those, keep me posted if you are coming.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:28 am

Munster wrote:Im also training for UT in August. Need to work more steadiness and havent had the opportunity to get any good duck searches or blind steadiness yet. Im pretty excited about it and nervous all at once.

i have one big obsticle to over come at that is, sometimes when I approach to flush, he looks as though he is on hydrolics and ends up laying down. :oops: I created this by using my "halt' whistle on him when he would break on a bird. But hey, it makes him steady as a rock! :roll: :lol:
Are you testing with us? Would be great to see you again, heck you should come over for a training day :D

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:31 am

Munster wrote:Im also training for UT in August. Need to work more steadiness and havent had the opportunity to get any good duck searches or blind steadiness yet. Im pretty excited about it and nervous all at once.

Are you going to run in Sioux Falls? If I find time I might be there, would like to see a test before i run for the first time.

My main focus will be steadiness in the field, shot quite a few birds over him, but never steadied after the shot. The water work he should be fine with minimal training, he is steady and has 600 or more ducks and geese in his first two years under his belt. Training til its near perfect every time is the goal here.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:33 am

High Voltage wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:

Come on up, I should be at those, keep me posted if you are coming.
What do I need to do for the training days? Info, supplies, etc. Thanks

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:47 am

High Voltage wrote:

Are you testing with us? Would be great to see you again, heck you should come over for a training day :D
Unfortunatly I am not. I will run HAwkeye( Hour from home) and as a back up I will run Wapello(2 hours). But it would be great to see you again too. I have been threatening Tracey that I would come over for a training day!

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:49 am

Jarbo, you doing most your training solo? That can be tough!

Heartland folks are very welcoming and i am sure oyu will just need your dog, self and your normal equipment. Keep us posted on how the taining is going!

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:35 pm

Munster wrote:Jarbo, you doing most your training solo? That can be tough!

Heartland folks are very welcoming and i am sure oyu will just need your dog, self and your normal equipment. Keep us posted on how the taining is going!
I have done everything myself up til the last few weeks. Larry Woodward from Aux Lake Kennels has let me join him a few times. He's helping me understand the game a little and really helping me out with drills and birds.

The Heartland folks were very nice, I ran Taz NA there in Oct. of '11.

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:38 am

Its always nice when those vets take us newbies under their wings. I have heard of Larry, and all good things. :-)