Pedigree names

Brazos

Pedigree names

Post by Brazos » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:27 pm

I got my registration papers for my EP pup and need to put down the name. Is it customary to put the name of the kennel first and then the name of the dog. For example if I bought a pup from Daffy Duck Kennels and my dog is named Samuel would the name be Daffy Duck Samuel? I can call the kennel but its kind of late. Been busy at work and keep forgetting to call.

gotpointers

Re: Pedigree names

Post by gotpointers » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:46 pm

You need a release from the kennel to use their registered name in the prefix. Customary somewhat but not necessary unless agreed upon prior to sale.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:17 am

I would your kennel

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:36 am

I *think* the first thing everyone needs to know before dispensing advice, is the following:
Are you registering the dog with AKC or the FDSB ??

Rob

Brazos

Post by Brazos » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:30 pm

My registration papers are for FDSB. Sorry for the slow response. Super busy at work for a couple more weeks.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:51 pm

I think the proper thing to use is the breeder's kennel name as the prefix. You can always add your's as well ie. smokeys big john of cripple creek

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:51 pm

You paid the money, you should be able to name the dog anything you like. ---IMO

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:21 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:I think the proper thing to use is the breeder's kennel name as the prefix. You can always add your's as well ie. smokeys big john of cripple creek

Really? :)

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:37 pm

All of my dogs bear the name of the Kennel whether my name is also on them or not.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:56 pm

Some kennels can be picky about letting u use their prefix....if you make a lemon out of a dog they don't want their name on it.......

And I believe FDSB is limited to 4 words now and not sure how many letters, used to be like 3 words and 24 letters. Been a little while since I registered one. I had an intervention :D

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:59 pm

FDSB Registrations are limited to 4 words which can not exceed 32 characters (spaces between words each count as a single character). The example given above would not fly (5 words).

Some kennels are registered with FDSB, if they are and they don't want you using their kennel name in your dog's FDSB Registered name, they can make you change it. So it's best to check with kennel owner first, get their blessing, then send in your paperwork. A lot less messy.......

Good luck with your dog!

Rob

MIKKEN

Post by MIKKEN » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:05 pm

All of the above suggestions are good ones I've heard b/4. I've named my dogs what I've wanted, and only angered/disappointed one breeder who has had good hunt&show dogs for years and was hoping for the recognition (& advertising)-sounds reasonable. For each species - cattle, dogs, goats, horses, etc., there seems to be slightly varrying styles to naming. I've noticed many USUALLY work in the names of: the sire & dam; +/or the origins (kennel, stable, etc.) of the parents. Sometimes year of birth or litter # contributes - all the young born in any 1yr/litter have names starting w/the same letter,subject, etc. In AKC, the person who's registering the dog gets to pick the name. And then, what Rob said.