leather collar question

benelli

leather collar question

Post by benelli » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:59 am

Might be a silly question, but I'll ask anyway.

I like the looks of leather collars and, from the threads on here in the last couple of weeks, picked one I think I would like to buy, but I'm curious about how "gentle" you have to be with them. Right now we have one of the plastic-y sort of collar that is completely maintenance-free. I don't mind saddle-soaping a leather collar every now and then, if that's all that's required. But what if your dog goes swimming or something? Do you swap our your leather collar for a plastic/nylon one before working in the water? Or do you just clean up the collar afterwards? What about regular hunting trips and that sort of thing?

I guess my main question is, do you actually USE the leather collar or is it more just because it looks sharp, and you use a lower-maintenance collar when your dog is out getting dirty?

Thanks!

jimbo&rooster

Re: leather collar question

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:25 am

Depends on the collar. Our hounds used to wear heavy collars all the time. Harness or bridle leather is pretty good stuff it will last quite a while in all conditions. Cheap leather collars are just that.

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:14 pm

I dont do anything to a leather collar. Put it on the dog and forget it.

The $10 + harness leather collars I like better than the high dollar ones . I have bought both the L.C.S. grand nationals, and the ones from Gundog supply. I was told the Latigo ones are thinner less quality(never bought those)

For a long time I used the L.C.S. day-glow plastic ones. Decided to go traditional leather for awhile. Variety :mrgreen:

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:25 pm

Leather collars look sharp, but IME they get pretty ripe with dog smell. Not to mention what they're like after a roll in something dead or some manure or whatever dogs believe is perfumy :lol: Or after a skunk encounter :o

We've been using biothane or beta biothane for years now. Easy to clean, great variety of colors :D

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Best collar made is Permatack. $22 custom made. Nice lady named Mary in MO makes them.

I have never seen a collar made this well at any price. She even sews the material on a radius so there is little stress on the seams.

http://www.permatack.com/permatack_cove ... cd_007.htm

Jaggerbush

Post by Jaggerbush » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:04 pm

I only take my dogs leather collar off when I use my garmin alpha. I was having problems with it creating a static charge that was turning the Ecollar off. I didn't believe it when they told me that, but Garmin was right. The leather collar is holding up well and my dog swims a lot.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:46 am

I have never bought collars from permatack but I have several leads and some horse tack from there and I am VERY happy with it. i will continue to buy from them.

Jim

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:23 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:I have never bought collars from permatack but I have several leads and some horse tack from there and I am VERY happy with it. i will continue to buy from them.

Jim
I have a double-ply blaze orange collar and it hasn't faded, or bled and cleans up like new. Its 5 years old. Really have never seen a better piece of work for a dog collar before. I also have a short leash with a police snap that is great.