Ethics question

Karen
GDF Junkie

Ethics question

Post by Karen » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:28 am

You're one of 2 judges. 2 dogs come to the line. 1 you've trained with, used the same trainer, and hung out with every weekend for 3+ years, the other you've seen around before, you know the handler from seeing him at other trials. The other judge has seen both dogs and handlers at trials before but isn't friendly with either. Which dog do you stay on if they get separated? Does it matter to you? Or do you make a point to go with the dog you don't know over the one being handled by a friend?

dan v

Re: Ethics question

Post by dan v » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:38 am

If you can't judge friends and acquaintances fairly...you shouldn't judge. So for me, doesn't matter. What can be the problem is the appearance of impropriety...too bad.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:09 am

The bird dog world is comprised of a pretty darn small circle of people. I would think that it is almost impossible to find a judge who is qualified and has no relationship with any of the handlers or dogs in the trial. I'm sure that a biased decision has been made, but I think it is way less common than people think. My advice is to go run your dog, meet some new people, have a good time, do your best, and don't worry about the judges.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:15 am

Doesn't matter, I could fairly judge my brother's dog.

But each judge should take a dog and switch at near halfway. I have enough trouble watching one dog.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:45 am

Karen -

I think I might actually wind up being tougher on my friend's dog... sort of overcompensating...which isn't fair either.

I don't think I am alone in that.

It IS an extremely small circle of people, especially in a defined geographic area, so the pool of prospective judges in that area is such that you can expect to know many of the people and dogs at an area trial.

RayG

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:00 am

Ive been judged by folks I knew from just being at trials, Ive been judged by my breeder, and Ive been judged by complete strangers...... Guess which one didnt use my dog..... haha. I think if you are fair you can judge anyone.

My issue wouldnt be with judging my friend and how I would do. My issue would be if I took off with my buddy and he placed higher than the other guy, and the other guy through a fit.

Jim

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:05 am

Absolutely. I've been on the receiving end of being judged "tougher". I've also been on the receiving end of someone I've trained with for years taking my dog no less than 6 times in a row when we got separated from our bracemate. 6 times seems a bit excessive.

The last time (and it will most definitely be the last time I run any dog under him), I was told I could not take the front after our first find. The other judge was an AF pointer guy...you know, can't win from behind? Well we didn't. We FINALLY caught up after 3 finds, at time, and backed our bracemate on her only find.

We took 2nd that day...1st was withheld. When I approached the judging partner after the fact, I received a HUGE apology. He was not told that we were behind because the other judge wouldn't let us take the front. He was quite candid that we would have won the stake, had he been given that 1 piece of information.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:37 am

If I am starting with top dog, I start with top dog. Doesn't matter whose dog it is. Switch dogs at 1/2 when convenient.