Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

FirearmFan

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

Post by FirearmFan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Does anybody have any experience with the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever breed? I'm not looking to get one (or any other breed for that matter). Two dogs is as much as I can handle right now. I'm mostly just curious of what people think of them.

I think they are very good looking dogs and are pretty rare at least around these parts. The concept of Tolling for waterfowl is interesting but not the way I hunt ducks. I've also heard that they are decent at upland hunting but I cannot confirm that.

So what are your thoughts on this interesting breed?

MJB64

Re: Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

Post by MJB64 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:56 pm

Google "Toller scream".

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:51 pm

I know a few folks with them and they are pretty neat dogs. Don't know any that are used for hunting though.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:41 pm

I have run into a few working duck tollers(sp?), yes a neat dog, the tolling thing is a bit fuzzy for me but if I understand correctly the dog playing in the surf(edge of the water) brings the duck into gun range out of curiosity.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:19 pm

MJB64 wrote:Google "Toller scream".

That's bizarre. Funny but I could see it getting annoying if it was a common occurrence.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:21 pm

I did see a program where a guy was pheasant hunting with one. It seemed to enjoy it's work. Very high energy dogs. I almost got one a couple of years ago but it was from show stock and was a 3 yr old. Decided not to chance it. Not a whole bunch of them around.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:23 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:I know a few folks with them and they are pretty neat dogs. Don't know any that are used for hunting though.
Cass, did you say know or known? :wink:

"The tolling thing is a bit fuzzy" - as in hypnotizing - only to the birds being tolled. Works a charm.

MG

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:09 am

MG is there a breed of dog you don't own? You need to go get a cocker and join in my frustration Lol

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:42 am

crackerd wrote:
CDN_Cocker wrote:I know a few folks with them and they are pretty neat dogs. Don't know any that are used for hunting though.
Cass, did you say know or known? :wink:

"The tolling thing is a bit fuzzy" - as in hypnotizing - only to the birds being tolled. Works a charm.

MG

Very cool!

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:47 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:MG is there a breed of dog you don't own? You need to go get a cocker and join in my frustration Lol
Hey, if you do as Kraka advised yesterday, and do it daily, that frustration will go away. Promise. :wink: At least it has for all the breeds I've owned...and attempted to train. And how come you didn't let Jim sign you up as a bird thrower for the Canadian National Championship - that's a prestigious position; ask me how I know. :mrgreen:

MG