Wind Type and Scent

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Wind Type and Scent

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:13 pm

What is your opinion of wind and scent? Have you noticed, and or been taught that the direction the wind blows from has an effect on a dog's ability to scent birds?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Wind Type and Scent

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:17 pm

Along the ocean where I grew up an east wind seemed to make it particularly tough for the dog.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:59 pm

I seem to have the most success with a mid morning thermal, this is generally a light 3-5 MPH upward draft. It seam to be the sweet spot between the correct humidity and temperature with enough velocity to carry scent a good distance without dissipating the scent to much.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:40 pm

I find that a cold north wind is usually dry, and whether it is hunting wild birds or watching dogs in a trial; conditions and places that dogs smell birds in go barren in the north wind. I don't know if its a western thing, the great basin or what? However, in reviewing my notes reporting at the Brittany NFC in Booneville, I find that the coldest day with north wind was also the day that had the least bird contact.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Because the birds are holding tight and not moving? Maybe temperature and bird activity more than wind direction?

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:34 pm

I like a 3-7 mph wind that is consistent. Swirling winds or gusts/breeze I found not conducive to New England ruffs.

"Wind from the east and the fish bite the least. wind from the west and fishing is the best, wind from the south blows the fly into the fish's mouth." Not sure where I read that. Seems adequate for birds and brookies that I found though.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:34 pm

East or any variation of wind from the east, makes for terrible scenting conditions.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Come on guys, air is air. Speed of movement, temperature of the air, humidity, and probably a thousand other things all can effect what the dog smells but I don't think you can see a difference that is caused directly from the direction it is moving.

Ezzy

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:42 pm

I would tend to agree most places ezzy tho along the ocean I believe it can be different. That fat heavy air out of the east makes a difference.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:04 am

I just hate.... Dry, hot, dusty, and running into the wind :-)

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 am

Scenting has more to to with the barometer than wind direction. Wind direction though is linked to frontal systems and pressure changes, so certain wind direction will be more favourable than others. Once the barometer gets above about 950/1000 things improve.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:03 am

ezzy333 wrote:Come on guys, air is air. Speed of movement, temperature of the air, humidity, and probably a thousand other things all can effect what the dog smells but I don't think you can see a difference that is caused directly from the direction it is moving.

Ezzy
I believe that certain air conditions - speed, temp and humidity combined would be more prevalent with certain wind directions in a locality. That would not generalize to all areas of the country however. Where I am you never get a chinook with a north west wind - just doesn't happen. So I wouldn't discount it too readily in local folklore.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:20 am

ezzy333 wrote:Come on guys, air is air. Speed of movement, temperature of the air, humidity, and probably a thousand other things all can effect what the dog smells but I don't think you can see a difference that is caused directly from the direction it is moving.Ezzy
I believe it is other factors as well, the wind direction is the identifiable factor in the field. There is almost always high pressure when we get a true north wind, and rarely does it contain moisture. It is easiest for me to measure in a field trial, when I watch the difference in bird work from day to day with dogs I know have abilities and a long track record miss birds, only to have conditions change the following day and have numerous dogs find birds.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:42 am

i have attached large box fans, misters, and a heat lamp to all my launchers so that i am in total control of everything - bird, wind direction, humidity, temperature. i research the prevailing weather conditions at all the trial venues i plan on going to and replicate them in my training. its the little things that can make all the difference...

serious answer, like so many things birddog - only the dog really knows. my solution - get the dogs out...alot...at alot of different places...in alot of different conditions.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:26 am

DGFavor wrote: serious answer, like so many things birddog - only the dog really knows. my solution - get the dogs out...alot...at alot of different places...in alot of different conditions.
Such silliness. I can train for everything with a wing in my living room - if only I could solve this wind thing.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:29 am

Chukar12 wrote: I know have abilities and a long track record miss birds,
I have often wondered how Sharptail choose the location for a dancing ground. Many times I have watched dogs wind scent from hundreds of yards out, work their way in towards the birds which I can see strutting on the hill and then the dog loses scent, searches, backtracks moves in and loses scent again - never working out where the birds actually are.