Neoprene Dog Vest Recommendations

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Neoprene Dog Vest Recommendations

Post by Ayres » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:33 pm

I'm looking for a neoprene dog vest for my viz. I like the one from Cabela's, with the black underside and blaze orange top, but those things are designed with labs in mind. By using the measurements, Justus needs an XL because of his chest size. The waist and neck measurements are well below the XL size though.

I ordered one in, thinking that I could cut and adjust as described on the Cabela's website to make it fit, but now that I've got it in hand I don't think there is any way I can make this tent fit snugly to my dog at the neck and waist areas. His chest fits just right though.

So, anyone that uses dog vests, what brands do you use and do you recommend? My objectives are to get a vest with blaze orange (it's amazing how close a vizsla's color is to looking like the side of a whitetail deer), minimum of 3mm neoprene, 5mm preferred, that actually fits properly for the majority of pointing breed dogs.

I'm open to suggestions, and will even consider having one custom made or making it myself if I can get some blaze orange neoprene.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:43 pm

This topic was discussed on another MB that I read from time to time. The original poster has a lab but there was a pointer guy that chimed in, and then a V guy posted up how he made a RedHead vest work, has pics also, looks good.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/ubbthr ... Post123472

Donnerhund GWP

Post by Donnerhund GWP » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:47 pm

I have one I bought for my GWP from Sportsman's Warehouse, I think it's a Hodgeman. Same problem, neck and waist are loose, chest fits snug. I didn't expect too much for what I paid ($13?). Still, It keeps her nice and toasty on all but the coldest days.
Would be nice to have a really good fit.
Men in Black -- Protecting Earth from the scum of the Universe
-------------------------------------------------------
Donnerhund!
Registered German Wirehaired Pointers

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:18 pm

Ayres,

I know what you are talking about. I finally found one through Timothy's that was close enough that my wife could work some of her sewing magic on it to make it fit my GSP.

I had the same problem you had trying to get the neck and waist size to come close with the chest size. The one from Timothy's was fairly thick neoprene also. Thicker than others if I recall.

I've had it for 3 years now and seems to be holding up.
aka Bob

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:28 am

Got a link, Bob? I'm not familiar with Timothy's.

If that doesn't work out, I might try my hand at modifying this Cabela's vest. They've got cross-stitching sewn in so you can cut away some of the material safely, but I do think I'll have to reposition the velcro.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:18 am

I have the one from Cabela's and use it on my shorthairs. I have been able to use it on several dogs. The chest shape on you V might be different, but it has worked very well on mine. The dogs I have used it on run 50-55 lbs. I will have to check on the size at home. It is either a large or a medium.

Actually, I like the thing alot. Mine is a snug fit, and so does not rub raw spots.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:59 am

This is the one I have, John:
Cabela's Link

I got the XL size because Justus has about a 29" chest. Neck is about 16" though, and waist wouldn't be any bigger than just a large (I think it's something like a 22.5"). I'm definitely going to have to cut to accommodate the "male parts" (as their video puts it) but I think overlapping the velcro so much at the neck and waist wouldn't work out too well without just cutting and repositioning.

If my dog's chest was 27" instead of 29" I could go with a Medium and be okay. Do you stretch a Medium on your shorthairs?
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:34 pm

I will check at home tonite. Not sure of the size, if L or M.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:51 pm

I have and M. It fits just fine on my female. I measured her chest at around 26 1/2. Just have a metal carpenter's tape so can't get it to the gnats eyelash. I have used that one on her hunting and it works just fine for protracted periods, in fact, if it is cold enough I like it better as a chest protector, than the nylon chest protector that I have.

I put it on my male just to see how it would work. It is a tad tight, but would probably do ok. The metal tape says he is about 27+. I would have to alter it for his male parts though.

You can cut that neoprene all you want as long as you leave clean edges.

My vest is from Cabela's but it is a little different than the one in the picture. It is reversible, all orange on one side, all black on the other. Probably a little older model.

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:08 pm

Ayers,

I just got back from a business trip.. Tomithy's is at www.huntsmart.com.

My shorthair is big. 75 pounds plus or minus so I had to go with a XXL and cut it to fit. It is fairly thick neoprene. 8mm I believe so I had to make the openings around her front armpits(?) larger to keep from chaffing and then tighten it up around her belly. I sealed it with Marine Goop and it is holding up well.

Unless they have added different models they only came in camo when I got mine a few years back.
aka Bob

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:00 pm

I measured again with a seamstress tape and have him at 16" neck, 28.5" chest, and a 22" waist.

However, the XL is too much. It's too long (not enough bar tacks to cut down the size) and it's just too big around at the neck and waist. On top of that, though it fit "comfortably" around Justus' chest I was able to stretch it across his back and have over two inches of play in it by making it a "snug" fit, which is what I would prefer anyway.

So, since he fits all the measurements of a Medium other than supposedly the chest, and on that I think I can stretch it with no problem, I'm going to exchange my XL for a Medium and then custom trim.

I'll report back how that works out once I get the exchange done from Cabela's.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

smilinicon

Post by smilinicon » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 am

following this link closely for future reference :)