6 mth old GSP roughing up the Cat

GSP4ME

6 mth old GSP roughing up the Cat

Post by GSP4ME » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:34 am

I want to know if my baby is too young to be introduced to an ecollar? She is getting hard headed when it comes to rough housing the cat. Used to we could yell "no" and show her the rolled up newspaper while she was pointing the cat and stop her from pouncing. Now when she goes on point and we yell, she just ignores us and pounces the pour cat and drags him around by his head. (The cat isn't completely innocent, he starts most of the crap)

I was wondering if an ecollar would be a situation to use to try and break her from this before the kitty looses his little life. Both have to live in the house together. My daughter refuses to make the cat an outside cat.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: 6 mth old GSP roughing up the Cat

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:06 am

GSP4ME wrote:I want to know if my baby is too young to be introduced to an ecollar? She is getting hard headed when it comes to rough housing the cat. Used to we could yell "no" and show her the rolled up newspaper while she was pointing the cat and stop her from pouncing. Now when she goes on point and we yell, she just ignores us and pounces the pour cat and drags him around by his head. (The cat isn't completely innocent, he starts most of the crap)

I was wondering if an ecollar would be a situation to use to try and break her from this before the kitty looses his little life. Both have to live in the house together. My daughter refuses to make the cat an outside cat.
An ecollar used as an avoidance tool will work but remember, later on you'll be using it for other phases of training so the dog can't be afraid of it when you strap it on. If you do this, remember, she's still a babe and take it easy.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:35 am

You may want to leave the dog outside if the cat can't go outside. Our GWP has a thing for cats also, but she spends most of her time outside. We have to monitor her when she is in the house and keep her from hunting the cats. i am more worried about the cat hurting the dog than the dog hurting one of the cats.

Haile

Post by Haile » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:36 am

Simple.....get rid of the cat. :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:26 pm

Haile,

Today is your day to be a stone.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:56 pm

Haile wrote:Simple.....get rid of the cat. :wink:
Or, let nature take it's course.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:35 pm

jhoughton wrote:You may want to leave the dog outside if the cat can't go outside. Our GWP has a thing for cats also, but she spends most of her time outside. We have to monitor her when she is in the house and keep her from hunting the cats. i am more worried about the cat hurting the dog than the dog hurting one of the cats.
Oh no!!!! I will not put my baby out......I will overrule my 7 y/o and throw out the cat, before I put my baby out.

I never leave them unattended together, so maybe instead of using the ecollar idea to keep her from this behavior, I will just let nature take its course and hope the cat can survive. I do worry that the cat is going to rip her ears or something worse.....want look very nice in the show ring with a two piece ear.

Scott

Post by Scott » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:32 pm

I havent had this happen to me but have heard about several young dogs getting eye damage from the ol house/barn cat. I don't have a suggestion about how to help end the fights but I would sure watch out for that young dog so that he doesnt loose an eye or get one damaged.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:46 pm

We never put our babies outside either. Especially in the winter till they were big enough to walk. The yard was reserved for our dogs. The cats and the dogs got along find after they decided that neither one was afraid of the other.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

EWSIV

Post by EWSIV » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:14 pm

slap the e-collar on the cat!

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:26 pm

Although you have gotten some pretty good advice. Ill tell you what worked for me. I just used the e-collar like you would normally. Just use it to re-inforce no or leave it.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:55 pm

GsPJustin wrote:Although you have gotten some pretty good advice. Ill tell you what worked for me. I just used the e-collar like you would normally. Just use it to re-inforce no or leave it.
That sounds good. Right now I do use leave it or drop it when necessary, so maybe we might give it a shot.

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:19 pm

drop it

Sorry, don't know if anyone else will find this funny, but I can totally imagine the dog with a cat in her mouth, looking up like "WHAT!?!?!?" but its hilarious to me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P

briguyz71

Watch how you use it

Post by briguyz71 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:21 pm

Like stated before. Use it to reinforce your no command and not to juice the dog. Dog might associate the shock with the cat and take it out on the fur-ball.

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:16 am

Our Griff is now 7 months old.He does the same thing but the cat does get sick of it and will let the pup know.Pup will learn.

If he gets to rough with the cat then we say or do something.We usually just tell him to leave it and pull the pup off the cat the cat usually just takes off.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:28 am

GsPJustin wrote:
drop it

Sorry, don't know if anyone else will find this funny, but I can totally imagine the dog with a cat in her mouth, looking up like "WHAT!?!?!?" but its hilarious to me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P
I didn't say anything, but that just cracked me up too!!! I'm still trying to imagine it.....How about some pictures??

GSPaddict

Post by GSPaddict » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:17 am

Hey same thing happenned to us. The cat was litteraly getting killed. However today they almost nap on each other.

This is how we did it and it worked very very fast :

Find a treat that will really get the dog's attention.

Put him on leash, have him sit and step on the leash so he can't jump or run. Have someone else get the cat and bring it at the end of the room. The dog will try to chase but don't let him. When he calms down a little bit, treat! (best if you have a clicker). Treat him for staying calm 20 times or so. Then have the person bring the cat a little closer and do it again.

Do this every day (5 mins max) and it you will be glad you did.

littleking

Post by littleking » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:11 pm

i used an ecollar to "cat proof" the dog