Anyone from SW NE?

RichK

Anyone from SW NE?

Post by RichK » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:12 pm

Anyone from SW Nebraska? I just applied for a job in that area and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to find housing in that region.

markj
GDF Junkie

Re: Anyone from SW NE?

Post by markj » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:34 am

Where abouts? What city will you be close to? housing is good in nebraska but the taxes will kill ya. Iowa you will pay less in tax money.

RichK

Post by RichK » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:11 pm

markj wrote:Where abouts? What city will you be close to? housing is good in nebraska but the taxes will kill ya. Iowa you will pay less in tax money.
If everything works out it would be near Sidney, I can't find much info on housing in that area.

When you say taxes are going to kill me, I'm assuming this is in relation to other western states? It can't be worse than NY, can it?

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:05 pm

RichK wrote:
markj wrote:Where abouts? What city will you be close to? housing is good in nebraska but the taxes will kill ya. Iowa you will pay less in tax money.
If everything works out it would be near Sidney, I can't find much info on housing in that area.

When you say taxes are going to kill me, I'm assuming this is in relation to other western states? It can't be worse than NY, can it?
Not even close, NE. is bad but New York taxes are lot more and cost of living is a lot less in NE

SteveElms

Post by SteveElms » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:18 am

I live in Ogallala, which is 72 miles from sidney on I-80. I work in sidney. Housing in sidney can be found but its going to be difficult if you want something other than house in town. With the Cabelas corporate headquarters there, it's tough to find a small acreage near town that isn't way over priced.

The further you are from Sidney the easier it is to find the type of housing you want. We live in Ogallala because my wife's parents and my parents are here, as well as lake McConaughy about 4 miles away. It's not a bad commute unless the roads are icy like yesterday. There are several small towns around sidney to look at as well. Lots of Cabelas employees live in Lodgepole, Chappell, Potter, Dalton and drive in. Those are all within a half hour drive.

Steve

RichK

Post by RichK » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:16 am

SteveElms wrote:I live in Ogallala, which is 72 miles from sidney on I-80. I work in sidney. Housing in sidney can be found but its going to be difficult if you want something other than house in town. With the Cabelas corporate headquarters there, it's tough to find a small acreage near town that isn't way over priced.

The further you are from Sidney the easier it is to find the type of housing you want. We live in Ogallala because my wife's parents and my parents are here, as well as lake McConaughy about 4 miles away. It's not a bad commute unless the roads are icy like yesterday. There are several small towns around sidney to look at as well. Lots of Cabelas employees live in Lodgepole, Chappell, Potter, Dalton and drive in. Those are all within a half hour drive.

Steve
Steve,

Thanks for the info, I'll google some of those towns. Any idea how hard it is to find pet friendly housing outside of Sidney?

SteveElms

Post by SteveElms » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:03 pm

It's not impossible but it is going to be harder. I know a few realtors advertise rentals but very few are pet friendly. Some good resources are the local radio "swap shop" page. The radio station is KSID. It also lists private individuals in the area that have housing available.

RichK

Post by RichK » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:05 pm

SteveElms wrote:It's not impossible but it is going to be harder. I know a few realtors advertise rentals but very few are pet friendly. Some good resources are the local radio "swap shop" page. The radio station is KSID. It also lists private individuals in the area that have housing available.
Thanks, I'll see what I can find.

SteveElms

Post by SteveElms » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:09 pm

About when are you looking to move here? I can check with some people to see if they have or know of something that might come available around that time. A lot of the people that I know that have rentals don't advertise because they are somewhat picky as to who they rent to. Right now its really a landlords market, but there are some new housing developments in the works that should help ease the housing shortage.

Steve

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:34 pm

SteveElms wrote:About when are you looking to move here? I can check with some people to see if they have or know of something that might come available around that time. A lot of the people that I know that have rentals don't advertise because they are somewhat picky as to who they rent to. Right now its really a landlords market, but there are some new housing developments in the works that should help ease the housing shortage.

Steve
I don't know, hopefully I get a call from Cabela's for an interview in the next couple of weeks.