Smaller GSP lines

isonychia

Smaller GSP lines

Post by isonychia » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:16 am

I have done a ton of research on here with Brittany lines and have some really solid leads thanks to you all. In an effort not to be breed blind I am going to entertain the idea of a gsp instead of a Brittany for my next dog. Does anyone know of any smaller gsp lines, maybe in the 45-50lb range?

Thanks.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Smaller GSP lines

Post by DonF » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:53 am

I don't know about smaller lines but avoid show line's like the plague. I have not seen a show line dog in the field that wouldn't go around 80#. In the field line's they get anywhere from about 40# up. My heaviest one was 55# And his mother, my Hannah was only 45#. Most the males I've had and worked with hit between 50# up to 60#.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:56 am

Don, Walnut Hill ha a lot of nice GSP's that have Dual titles, I think you can find about anything if you look. All it takes is someone who makes the effort to breed for the characteristics needed and the gene pool seems to be big enough that you can find it.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:21 pm

I've seen a fair few of them, none that come to mind though from the kennel names.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Don, Walnut Hill ha a lot of nice GSP's that have Dual titles, I think you can find about anything if you look. All it takes is someone who makes the effort to breed for the characteristics needed and the gene pool seems to be big enough that you can find it.
Not familiar with them. Come to think of it, used to be Radback kennels over in s. Idaho and all their dog i've seen were smaller dog's.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:56 am

Have you considered a Braque Francais? I don't know what your other requirements are, but, the size seems right.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:07 am

ezzy333 wrote:Don, Walnut Hill ha a lot of nice GSP's that have Dual titles, I think you can find about anything if you look. All it takes is someone who makes the effort to breed for the characteristics needed and the gene pool seems to be big enough that you can find it.
The dogs I have now are pretty heavy on Walnut Hill Blood. My older female's Grand mother was Snips Maggie Mae. She was a Rip n Logan daughter and Snips Ticked Off Granddaughter. My younger female is A grand daughter Of Gamble's Odyssey Fritz. These dogs are a little on the smaller size. Females around fifty and males around fifty five. My year old male weighs 47 lbs. but he has brothers that go 55. So, it is a bit of a crap shoot. But, I do try for a little smaller dogs. Because I like them. I would not guarantee a dog would not go over 55 pounds though.
I also get requests for 90 lb dogs. I do not have them. Have a litter due on 2/14..........Cj

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:34 am

You can have this guy when we get him back up to 40-45 lbs. He's 28 right now and 2 years old we think, sprung from the pound yesterday. Actually, there were a bunch of puppies too, contact SE GSP Rescue...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:36 am

Boy that guy looks terrible! I've never tried it but I've read where adding cottage cheese to their food will help gain weight.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:16 pm

It's better for the dog to go slow at the stage it is in now and let it gradually gain some weight and then increase the feed if needed. It takes time to get the digestive tract back functioning properly.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:01 pm

ezzy333 wrote:It's better for the dog to go slow at the stage it is in now and let it gradually gain some weight and then increase the feed if needed. It takes time to get the digestive tract back functioning properly.
You don't have to tell me. He's sitting in my office and farting like a frat boy after $1 Beer and Wing night. But, at least he seems content and (fingers crossed) his last two "movements" have been normal and normally formed.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:30 pm

JONOV wrote:You can have this guy when we get him back up to 40-45 lbs. He's 28 right now and 2 years old we think, sprung from the pound yesterday. Actually, there were a bunch of puppies too, contact SE GSP Rescue...
How sad is that? Good for you for rescuing. I've rescued 3 JRTs and could tell you some sad stories too. They are common in animal rescue as they are often too much for an inexperienced owner.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:24 am

JONOV wrote:You can have this guy when we get him back up to 40-45 lbs. He's 28 right now and 2 years old we think, sprung from the pound yesterday. Actually, there were a bunch of puppies too, contact SE GSP Rescue...
A GSP breeder here in PA was raided early this month, 19 dogs seized :(

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:21 am

Man that just about makes me want to make a trip back home to NC and grab those pups.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:32 pm

That's criminal.
Thanks for taking in the dog.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:23 pm

Back to smaller GSPs. Moonshine Kennels or Pixley hunter in Pixley CA. Jim Wall 805 239 9724 Jagermeister kennels. Just moved to Kimberly ID. Some of Moonshine blood is out of the Jagermeister line. Hunted today over one ( 50#) at 1 yr. Million miles of run and great nose. Dog ran 24 miles and has no quite in him. They compete in NSTRA and are top of the line

BFstl

Post by BFstl » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:34 pm

I had a 12 year Brittany that passed away in 2016 from Dave White in Olatha, KS, after much research I ended up going with a Braque Francais for my new pup and glad I did. If it is going to be a house/family/and hunting dog, I would highly recommend looking at the Braque Francais. See my avatar, she is only 38 lbs and about a year and a half.

http://www.uniquegundogs.com