Hunting Dog Training & More    

Popular Searches: Garmin Astro | Dog Collars | Tri-Tronics | SPORTdog

Buying Pigeons - Questions

Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby Old Hennie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:29 pm

I am looking to get some birds to keep for training purposes. Can anyone advise where a good place to buy birds is? I am not sure where/how to buy.
Old Hennie
Rank: Just A Pup
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Please ADD LOCATION

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby mask » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:53 pm

where are you located?
mask
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Idaho

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby Old Hennie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:55 pm

I am in Indiana. Should have mentioned that!
Old Hennie
Rank: Just A Pup
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Please ADD LOCATION

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby mask » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:24 pm

I'm a little far away to help. You might try craigslist.
mask
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Idaho

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby Mike da Carpenter » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Dumb question...if you buy pigeons locally and you release them during dog trading, wouldn’t they fly back to the place you bought them from?
Mike da Carpenter
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 am
Location: SE Michigan

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby Moulders Farm » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:36 pm

buy young pigions and do not turn them loose for a week or so then only a few at a time , but before relicing any I all ways catch and put them in and out the recall door several times so they know where thay can get back in do not buy to close at least 25 to 50 miles away .If you get young birds they will not reprudce for 6 mo to at year I know where yhere is some mid Mo. if coming this way
Moulders Farm
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: Mo.

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby ezzy333 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:32 am

I am over in Dixon IL if that would help and could fix you up with a few pair of breeders that are already producing and might have some young birds in a month or two if you let me know what you want.

Ezzy
User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 16587
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby ezzy333 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:39 am

Moulders Farm wrote:buy young pigions and do not turn them loose for a week or so then only a few at a time , but before relicing any I all ways catch and put them in and out the recall door several times so they know where thay can get back in do not buy to close at least 25 to 50 miles away .If you get young birds they will not reprudce for 6 mo to at year I know where yhere is some mid Mo. if coming this way

Always put the youngbirds in a cage sitting on the landing board to your loft for a week or two and then let them loose. The biggest problem done this way is having a hawk attack that first day or two which can spook them bad enough you can lose some of them. Just a chance we take but the hawk problem gets better now that the small migratory birds are back. feel free to contact me and I will help however I can.

Ezzy
User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 16587
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby DonF » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:44 am

Mike da Carpenter wrote:Dumb question...if you buy pigeons locally and you release them during dog trading, wouldn’t they fly back to the place you bought them from?


Not necessarily. Homer's probably would but ferals are easier to re-home. But even the homer's seem to be able to be re-settled. When I first got my homer's I got six. Three of each sex. They weren't old birds but not young birds either. They went into my homer loft and were left inside with access to the flight pen out back until they'd hatched out a couple nest's each and were on another. Then got a really wet snow and the net on my flight pen went don, ll six pigeons stayed! Today I still have one of them and two more homer's that volunteered! Thing is with homer's make sure they have been on a few nest's before trying them out. They are the important one's, the young one's raised there. You can do the same with ferals. Generally, if I remember right, ferals can be re-settled easier by locking them up a few weeks. Also help to get them on nest's. Get your start birds and build from them. Before you know it you'll have to sell off or shoot birds to keep from being run out.

Couple difference's between ferals and homer's. First is ferals home very well, just wouldn't pust the range to awful much. I've flown them from 50 miles. My homer's came out of 300 mi race birds, I've had them home fron a bit over 100 mile's. The ferals are wilder bird's. Doesn't seem to matter how long you've had them, when I go into feed they stay away from me and when released from a trap, fly away right now. Hmer's on the other hand are much quieter. They come down and start eating while I'm filling their feeder, no way with the ferals. The homer's come out of the trap and once in a while will pop up and sit right back down, pretty good for some dog's, disaster for other's. The homer's when I plant them without a trap, when I kick them out have a habit of walking around first before flying, never had a feral do that. The ferals are also quite a bit smaller than homer's. You'll notice the difference right away after picking up one of each. Down side of that is the homer's are harder to dizzy and tuck their to plant. Another thing is that if you have old release traps homer's need to be stuffed into them, I'd had homer's die in the trap during the summer. If you like to train more than 40 or 50 mile's from home, homer's are what you want. But if your inside that, ferals are just fine.

You'll probably have to buy homer's, ferals are easy to catch at night on a roost. No light at night and you can just walk along and pick them up. Or, I have a long handle smelt net I got years ago for catching them that I couldn't reach. Catch them from behind, they, most the time will out maneuver you if you try had on.

Just keep in mind, don't use up the first birds in without getting young on's first.
User avatar
DonF
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Antelope, Ore

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby DonF » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:55 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Moulders Farm wrote:buy young pigions and do not turn them loose for a week or so then only a few at a time , but before relicing any I all ways catch and put them in and out the recall door several times so they know where thay can get back in do not buy to close at least 25 to 50 miles away .If you get young birds they will not reprudce for 6 mo to at year I know where yhere is some mid Mo. if coming this way

Always put the youngbirds in a cage sitting on the landing board to your loft for a week or two and then let them loose. The biggest problem done this way is having a hawk attack that first day or two which can spook them bad enough you can lose some of them. Just a chance we take but the hawk problem gets better now that the small migratory birds are back. feel free to contact me and I will help however I can.

Ezzy


What Ezzy say's is a way to do it, but never tried it myself. I have found that by tying up the re-entry bob's a week or so then dropping one bob at a time, they will learn to push the bob's aside themselves. At first they will come out on the landing pad and look around but seldom fly right away. When you start dropping the bob's drop one and skip one, leaves an easier path in. Actually, I have a flight pen out the back of my homer loft. Has a re-entry door just like the one out front of the loft. I train them to push aside the bob's with it. Open most the time but when I feed, most are out in the flight pen. I drop the bob's on them then feed and get out. They all learn to re-enter.
User avatar
DonF
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Antelope, Ore

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby shags » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:25 am

Old Hennie wrote:I am looking to get some birds to keep for training purposes. Can anyone advise where a good place to buy birds is? I am not sure where/how to buy.


Are there Amish where you are in Indiana?
We've bought barn pigeons from Amish kids for pretty cheap; stop by a farm with a nice loft barn and ask. Or post a note at the local feed mill. We've bought from weekly livestock auctions/sales that have lots of Amish sellers. Can be hit or miss there, but once you find a pigeon seller, you might be able to set up a deal oitside the auction.

Prices went from 1.50 to about 4.00 per bird.
shags
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 2219
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:57 pm
Location: Please ADD LOCATION

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby averageguy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:09 am

I have found pigeons on Craigslist numerous times. I also found some sources by posting on Craigslist in the Farm section looking to buy them. If you do post looking to buy I suggest not placing your contact info in the post, nor would I mention intentions to use them for dog training, as the PETA types will contact and harass you. I have also found sources by contacting local pro dog trainers and asking them where I could buy some. Nearest NAVHDA Chapter will have some folks who know where to get some as well.
averageguy
Rank: Master Hunter
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:07 am
Location: Please ADD LOCATION

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby gundogguy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:59 am

shags wrote:
Old Hennie wrote:I am looking to get some birds to keep for training purposes. Can anyone advise where a good place to buy birds is? I am not sure where/how to buy.


Are there Amish where you are in Indiana?
We've bought barn pigeons from Amish kids for pretty cheap; stop by a farm with a nice loft barn and ask. Or post a note at the local feed mill. We've bought from weekly livestock auctions/sales that have lots of Amish sellers. Can be hit or miss there, but once you find a pigeon seller, you might be able to set up a deal oitside the auction.

Prices went from 1.50 to about 4.00 per bird.


Over the years I have purchased over 50,000 birds in LaGrange, Shipshewana, Goshen Indiana areas The Amish love doing business with pigeon buyers. Shags is about right in the price range.
User avatar
gundogguy
Rank: 5X Champion
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:22 pm
Location: southern Michiganistan

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby Old Hennie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:36 am

Thanks everyone for the advice! I am planning to attend the local NAVHDA training day next month so that may be best if I don't find anything sooner.

Question - I noticed on craigslist someone advertising frill pigeons. I am new to all of this, so I don't know. Is this something worth considering? Looking up details online, it says they are good flyers. Does anyone use anything other than homers?
Old Hennie
Rank: Just A Pup
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Please ADD LOCATION

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby DonF » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:52 am

Pigeon's at $4 ea is a steal. I get $7 and think it's a great deal. Problem is a lot of people out here only want to train on chucker. So they spend $9 a bird use it once and that's the end of $9. Take out a pigeon for $7 and use it once and it goes home and you can do it again tomorrow! I've got birds I've had over 10 years now and am never wanting for bird's. Their loft is large enough to accommodate probably 75 birds plus another with 75 more in it and a small one that 20 works pretty good in. Pigeon's are better than sliced bread!
User avatar
DonF
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Antelope, Ore

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby CDN_Cocker » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:52 am

Lol you wouldn't want to know what I pay for my homers....
User avatar
CDN_Cocker
Rank: 5X Champion
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:59 pm
Location: ON, Canada

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby Meller » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:22 am

I have some homers right now for $3.50 .
Meller
Rank: 5X Champion
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:28 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby Sharon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Old Hennie wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice! I am planning to attend the local NAVHDA training day next month so that may be best if I don't find anything sooner.

Question - I noticed on craigslist someone advertising frill pigeons. I am new to all of this, so I don't know. Is this something worth considering? Looking up details online, it says they are good flyers. Does anyone use anything other than homers?


These are one of many kinds of "fancy " pigeons. Not much use for initial training but great fun for a mostly steady dog. Nothing like watching a dog gaze at a "roller" coming down and knowing he still must stay put. :)
User avatar
Sharon
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 7997
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby DonF » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:16 pm

There's expense in raising them in the first place. For less than $7, I can shoot them myself. Think of them as quail or chukar's that always go home to be used another day! I've been thinking, thinking stage only at this point. I could rent out fly aways for say $2 a flight. If a bunch of guy's went to Boyce Corral's to train and didn't have many birds I could not only take out pigeon's but also remote release traps. A chukar runs about $9 last year. Rent a pigeon at $2 and for the single $9 chukar you can get 4 homer's, fly away's only. If they want a few kill birds, no sweat, I'll bring along some! Those of course are $7 ea! What ever is left when they leave I turn loose to go home!
User avatar
DonF
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Antelope, Ore

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby oldbeek » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:58 pm

For fly aways only. I have a friend down the street that keeps them as pets and rents some out to weddings (all white). He lets me take them out to train with and they fly home. I help him with his feed. Best of 2 worlds. He has his pets, I have my trainers.
User avatar
oldbeek
Rank: 3X Champion
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Lancaster CA

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby Old Hennie » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:13 pm

Meller wrote:I have some homers right now for $3.50 .


Meller - do you ship birds at all?
Old Hennie
Rank: Just A Pup
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Please ADD LOCATION

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby Meller » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:20 pm

Never have, I looked into it once, seems like with shipping it made them mighty expensive even at this price!
Meller
Rank: 5X Champion
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:28 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby Old Hennie » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Meller wrote:Never have, I looked into it once, seems like with shipping it made them mighty expensive even at this price!


Yeah, it seems that way.
Old Hennie
Rank: Just A Pup
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Please ADD LOCATION

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby DonF » Tue May 01, 2018 8:09 am

Mike da Carpenter wrote:Dumb question...if you buy pigeons locally and you release them during dog trading, wouldn’t they fly back to the place you bought them from?


That depends on if you buy homer's of ferals. And if they are squeaker's on not when you get them. Ferals are easier to re settle than homer's. If you buy homer's and they are adult's, keep them locked up until they have egg's hatched out, then let them come and go for awhile. If you do that a couple time's, you'll have a good start with birds that will return. Ferals will do the same thing but locking them up a month or more and most will re-settle, I said most.

I think I have about 50+ ferals and they were all hatched here from birds I caught over 200 mikes from here. Catching is easy once you get the knack of it, BTW, catching them is free too!. I used to go into old barns or buildings where they roosted after dark. Have a net with about a 6' handle that works well for bird's I can't get to. The one's I can get to I simply pick with my hand! Done after dark of course.

I think where a lot of people mess up with pigeon's is they shoot a lot more than they need to. They are less expensive than game birds and so expendable. But you get a loft going and get maybe 20 birds going and don't shoot them, and you'll have more birds to shoot than you want!
User avatar
DonF
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Antelope, Ore

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby gspbrit » Tue May 08, 2018 2:59 pm

I quit buying Amish birds. They are often from animal barns and they sometimes have lice. I bought some for $1 each once, stored them in my garage overnight, and it took $100 to get all the lice out of my house!
gspbrit
Rank: Just A Pup
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:32 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby BuckeyeSteve » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:13 pm

DonF wrote:I've got birds I've had over 10 years now and am never wanting for bird's. Their loft is large enough to accommodate probably 75 birds plus another with 75 more in it and a small one that 20 works pretty good in. Pigeon's are better than sliced bread!


DonF.... would you mind sending me pics of your pigeon coup? I've just planted my first pigeon trap in the city to try to catch some ferals... my thought was use them once and just keep recatching. I'd love to rehome instead.

I also am in process of building a quail flight pen with a small quail hutch built into the end (I don't know if my design makes any sense or not...haven't really figured out how I'm going to get the quail out of it yet or how to get them to find their re-entry funnel...and I don't know how to get eggs out of it without the quail getting comfortable with me and getting tame).

Could I just mix feral pigeons in with my quail (I have 125 babies coming soon), or would they kill the quail?

That was a terribly worded paragraph with about 5 questions mixed in......but I'm sticking with it :)
User avatar
BuckeyeSteve
Rank: Senior Hunter
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:09 am
Location: Valencia, PA (north of Pgh)

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby DonF » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:01 pm

BuckeyeSteve wrote:
DonF wrote:I've got birds I've had over 10 years now and am never wanting for bird's. Their loft is large enough to accommodate probably 75 birds plus another with 75 more in it and a small one that 20 works pretty good in. Pigeon's are better than sliced bread!


DonF.... would you mind sending me pics of your pigeon coup? I've just planted my first pigeon trap in the city to try to catch some ferals... my thought was use them once and just keep recatching. I'd love to rehome instead.

I also am in process of building a quail flight pen with a small quail hutch built into the end (I don't know if my design makes any sense or not...haven't really figured out how I'm going to get the quail out of it yet or how to get them to find their re-entry funnel...and I don't know how to get eggs out of it without the quail getting comfortable with me and getting tame).

Could I just mix feral pigeons in with my quail (I have 125 babies coming soon), or would they kill the quail?

That was a terribly worded paragraph with about 5 questions mixed in......but I'm sticking with it :)


I have some photo's some where, I'll dig them out tomorrow or take some new one's. Keep in mind about a loft, it can be a super nice building to compliment your home or a box a refrigerator came in. Looks and convenience are for us, pigeons just want a safe home! Any kind of building will work well from an old chicken house to and old barn! One of my house's I use just to seperate birds now and then, is an old three seat out house with a small flight pen area built on. The birds that have been in there have never complained! I'll get some photo's tomorrow!
User avatar
DonF
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Antelope, Ore

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby averageguy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:24 pm

https://www.gundogsupply.com/-3720-.html

I have two coops built off of these plans. I followed the plans on the first one and then doubled the width on the second one and would use the doubled width again if I ever build another one. Having two coops allows me to keep homers in one coop and feral shooters in the other. I get by ok with these coops, but a larger walk-in coop would be nice for catching birds and not letting any escape while doing it. With the coops I have, I put a tarp over the top and door while catching birds and am able to not let any escape with that method but without tarping the door pigeons will get out when you open the door to catch birds. Mine are all acclimated to homing back to the coop for food/water and often babies, but it matters when you put a new batch of untrained ferals in your coop.

One thing that worked well in these plans is the removable shelves. I cleaned both coops this morning and being able to lift those shelves out and scrap them into a bucket was a good design. Might be something better, I have kept pigeons around for training for a lot of years but am not the expert some are. It would be easy to setup up a portable storage building as a nice coop and it is pretty common to see good buys on a used one on Craigslist from time to time.
averageguy
Rank: Master Hunter
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:07 am
Location: Please ADD LOCATION

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby bustingcover » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:53 am

DonF wrote:There's expense in raising them in the first place. For less than $7, I can shoot them myself. Think of them as quail or chukar's that always go home to be used another day! I've been thinking, thinking stage only at this point. I could rent out fly aways for say $2 a flight. If a bunch of guy's went to Boyce Corral's to train and didn't have many birds I could not only take out pigeon's but also remote release traps. A chukar runs about $9 last year. Rent a pigeon at $2 and for the single $9 chukar you can get 4 homer's, fly away's only. If they want a few kill birds, no sweat, I'll bring along some! Those of course are $7 ea! What ever is left when they leave I turn loose to go home!


This is honestly a great idea. Maybe not $2 a flush but for a small flat fee just to use as many birds as they want, works out great for amateurs trying to save money and the birds just go back home to the owner anyway. One of the biggest reasons I hear from people with pigeons is the initial coop building, raising and homing of the pigeons. I may have to borrow that idea, charge people $20 to essentially exercise my birds for me.
User avatar
bustingcover
Rank: Senior Hunter
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:16 am
Location: PNW

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby DonF » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:15 am

bustingcover wrote:
DonF wrote:There's expense in raising them in the first place. For less than $7, I can shoot them myself. Think of them as quail or chukar's that always go home to be used another day! I've been thinking, thinking stage only at this point. I could rent out fly aways for say $2 a flight. If a bunch of guy's went to Boyce Corral's to train and didn't have many birds I could not only take out pigeon's but also remote release traps. A chukar runs about $9 last year. Rent a pigeon at $2 and for the single $9 chukar you can get 4 homer's, fly away's only. If they want a few kill birds, no sweat, I'll bring along some! Those of course are $7 ea! What ever is left when they leave I turn loose to go home!


This is honestly a great idea. Maybe not $2 a flush but for a small flat fee just to use as many birds as they want, works out great for amateurs trying to save money and the birds just go back home to the owner anyway. One of the biggest reasons I hear from people with pigeons is the initial coop building, raising and homing of the pigeons. I may have to borrow that idea, charge people $20 to essentially exercise my birds for me.


$2 a flush is to much? What would you think is fair? Could take out more birds before long. Have several cage's to move then in and in the process of making two more. Probably haul more than I think with what I have but don't like to many in a cage, they do get hot!
User avatar
DonF
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Antelope, Ore

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby DonF » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:31 am

DonF wrote:
BuckeyeSteve wrote:
DonF wrote:I've got birds I've had over 10 years now and am never wanting for bird's. Their loft is large enough to accommodate probably 75 birds plus another with 75 more in it and a small one that 20 works pretty good in. Pigeon's are better than sliced bread!


DonF.... would you mind sending me pics of your pigeon coup? I've just planted my first pigeon trap in the city to try to catch some ferals... my thought was use them once and just keep recatching. I'd love to rehome instead.

I also am in process of building a quail flight pen with a small quail hutch built into the end (I don't know if my design makes any sense or not...haven't really figured out how I'm going to get the quail out of it yet or how to get them to find their re-entry funnel...and I don't know how to get eggs out of it without the quail getting comfortable with me and getting tame).

Could I just mix feral pigeons in with my quail (I have 125 babies coming soon), or would they kill the quail?

That was a terribly worded paragraph with about 5 questions mixed in......but I'm sticking with it :)


I have some photo's some where, I'll dig them out tomorrow or take some new one's. Keep in mind about a loft, it can be a super nice building to compliment your home or a box a refrigerator came in. Looks and convenience are for us, pigeons just want a safe home! Any kind of building will work well from an old chicken house to and old barn! One of my house's I use just to seperate birds now and then, is an old three seat out house with a small flight pen area built on. The birds that have been in there have never complained! I'll get some photo's tomorrow!


Well can't find my picture's of the loft's. Will go out and take some today.
User avatar
DonF
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Antelope, Ore

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby BuckeyeSteve » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:02 pm

DonF wrote:Well can't find my picture's of the loft's. Will go out and take some today.


I appreciate it DonF.... no hurry, but whenever you have a chance I'd appreciate it. I assume Pigeons like to be up higher, so my thought on letting them share with my quail in the flight pen wouldn't work. I also have a two sided chicken coup (tall, walk-in) that I could easily convert.... but I have read to keep quail in an area low enough that they won't fly up and break their necks. I assumed pigeons would be the same way -- if I have them in a walk in coup and they're not restrained, and I try to get them out they'll either fly away or hurt themselves, or at a minimum will be hard to catch. Are these assumptions accurate?
User avatar
BuckeyeSteve
Rank: Senior Hunter
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:09 am
Location: Valencia, PA (north of Pgh)

Re: Buying Pigeons - Questions

Postby DonF » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:48 am

Mike da Carpenter wrote:Dumb question...if you buy pigeons locally and you release them during dog trading, wouldn’t they fly back to the place you bought them from?


Could be but look at the bright side, you don't have to feed or house them!
User avatar
DonF
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Antelope, Ore


Return to Birds & Bird Supplies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

| Pedigrees

THIS POST : Buying Pigeons - Questions brought to you by Gun Dog Supply: Dog Training Collars & Hunting Dog Supplies

Click here to tweet this post

  • NOT logged in
  • Buying Pigeons - Questions
  • ./viewtopic.php?f=110&t=52927&start=0&sid=6bc0f402540fa739b7f37af2802f9cb1