GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post Reply
User avatar
Richard *UT*
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:28 pm
Location: Kamas UT.

GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by Richard *UT* » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:03 pm

Been a long time since I was a man with a dog. Too long! The time has come that I get back into it.

Last time I picked out the lines I wanted I picked out Rawhides Clown line but was also interested in dogs Wildrose used to breed. It has been a long time like I said. I’m struggling to find the info I’m looking for and so I thought I would just ask.

The question: if you were to pick a line bred male GSP, what lines would you like to see and why?

Your question: what type of dog am I looking for?
This boy will my only dog. He will be a companion first but I want to compete him in NASTRA events and maybe move on from there. I don’t need the AA run bUt I like a dog to be a runner. I hunt on foot almost 100% of the time but I compete more than I hunt. (Just easier to pay my entry fee and run with my dogs).

I realize this is an opinion based question and that’s what I’m looking for, opinions and guidance. Thanks for all your input, it will give a good starting place to look.

It’s good to be back!

cjhills
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2291
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 am
Location: aitkin,mn

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by cjhills » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:54 pm

There are a lot of very good NAVHDA breeders in the midwest. Not AA dogs but many could compete in gundog stakes.
Wildrose was still breeding a few years ago. Odyssey has nice dogs and is reasonably priced. they do not breed a lot of litters though. Walnut Hill would be my first place to look. I have had a lot of their dogs. They were all bird dogs. Thunderhead and SharpsShooter in Wisconsin do a good job.
I will have puppies in the spring but they are all sold and won't be what you want.
The GSP breeders I know are moving away from the real tight linebred dogs. Too many health issues. I like the old Wildfire dogs, but I think they are pretty well gone...Cj

RyanDoolittle
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:39 pm

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:34 pm

You might want to talk to Kirk Schlrbaum from Cedar creek or Jphn Kadacy at Covey Up. Sounds like your looking for the same type of dog I am and these seem to fit the bill. One thing about Kirk is he seems to be consistently producing wild bird dogs that look amazing. High head, high tail, stand tall,natural ability, what more can you ask of a dog.

If you want something a little more "hot" I would talk to Brandon Blum to see who is using Lewey or Hewey and grab a pup out of them.

I had a dog out of Walnut Hill that was double bred Fritz out of their Sam dog. He was real nice but was a real tough dog to live with, would have done better in a kennel set up. He also had seizures, we never got it figured out to what it was but the vet and I figured he was diabetic and it was related to his blood sugar. In my search for a new dog they were one of the first places I went but I didnt want the Palm Glades that was behind Sam so Benny was my first choice. Noone was doing much with him at that time and I ended up talking to Kirk.

reba
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:50 am
Location: Central Coast of CA

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by reba » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:07 am

Richard,

I have a 6 month old GSP from Jared Moss: http://bestgundogs.com/

Jared is located in Beaver, UT!!!

Gypsy is my third GSP and I can tell Jared does breed and train some of the best!!

kperry
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: tyler,tx

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by kperry » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:18 pm

You can’t go wrong with Topgun out of Central City, Iowa. I have a male out of their Prince William stud and he checks all the boxes.

cjhills
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2291
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 am
Location: aitkin,mn

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by cjhills » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:35 pm

Been there and done that be careful....Cj

RyanDoolittle
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:39 pm

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by RyanDoolittle » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:04 pm

cjhills wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:35 pm
Been there and done that be careful....Cj
I agree. Be careful with those dogs.

cjhills
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2291
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 am
Location: aitkin,mn

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by cjhills » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:59 pm

I said all I have to say......Cj

averageguy
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:07 am

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by averageguy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:01 am

The Odyseey line was mentioned. I have been around several of those dogs quite a bit and have seen nothing but positive in them.

Jon Hann won a National Championship with his Charlie dog and says it is the best wild bird dog he has ever hunted over. Runs big and consistently finds birds where there are few birds, handles them to perfection when he does. Trained out early and easy. Charlie sired their dog Huck which is 3 years old now and can be seen on one of their noon video chats saved on their facebook page. I have been around Huck since he was an 8 week old puppy and he is a very nice dog all around. I saw this young Odyssey dog yesterday working birds. Another beautiful dog with an obviously excellent temperament and mind, good nose, strong point, nice style.

Image

Image

cjhills
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2291
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 am
Location: aitkin,mn

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by cjhills » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:15 am

I had second male pick out of that dogs litter. Both parents were DCs. He was the only male in the litter. Heavily bred DC Sam Saint Max.
Odyssey has bred a lot of dual champions.
Fritz was a tough bird dog. I had two Fritz sired dogs and knew a lot more of them. They were all super good bird dogs and all bone heads. All of the owners I know say the same thing. They liked to do things their way.......Cj

averageguy
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:07 am

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by averageguy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:37 am

This is another 6 month old Odyssey pup at a clinic earlier this Spring. He was so naturally steady to flush and wing they were going to go ahead and steady him up ahead of fall. First bird dog of the young man who owns and is training him. Dog has trained really easy for him so far.

Another nice data point for those genetics.

Image

polmaise
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2597
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by polmaise » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:20 pm

averageguy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:37 am
This is another 6 month old Odyssey pup at a clinic earlier this Spring. He was so naturally steady to flush and wing they were going to go ahead and steady him up ahead of fall. First bird dog of the young man who owns and is training him. Dog has trained really easy for him so far.

Another nice data point for those genetics.

Image
Nice pic.!
Naturally you would want no telemetry .
...........
Nice pup out of old Belle ,produced 4 out of 7 that gained awards in competition , 'Gus' the Old stud ,who was as much use as a Coon hound sired them all. :)

averageguy
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:07 am

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by averageguy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:54 pm

Another young Odyssey bred dog. I watched this dog in a clinic two weeks ago for 4 days in a row.
The dog absorbed her training very well. Her owner has been in that line of dogs for some time and put 5 FC titles on them.

Image

RyanDoolittle
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:39 pm

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by RyanDoolittle » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:38 pm

polmaise wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:20 pm
averageguy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:37 am
This is another 6 month old Odyssey pup at a clinic earlier this Spring. He was so naturally steady to flush and wing they were going to go ahead and steady him up ahead of fall. First bird dog of the young man who owns and is training him. Dog has trained really easy for him so far.

Another nice data point for those genetics.

Image
Nice pic.!
Naturally you would want no telemetry .
...........
Nice pup out of old Belle ,produced 4 out of 7 that gained awards in competition , 'Gus' the Old stud ,who was as much use as a Coon hound sired them all. :)
I wouldnt let a dog go without GPS or Telemetry, you would be silly not too. Tracking collars are cheap insurance.

User avatar
ACooper
GDF Premier Member!
Posts: 3399
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:37 pm
Location: Sometimes I'm in Oklahoma

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by ACooper » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:54 pm

Richard *UT* wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:03 pm
Been a long time since I was a man with a dog. Too long! The time has come that I get back into it.

Last time I picked out the lines I wanted I picked out Rawhides Clown line but was also interested in dogs Wildrose used to breed. It has been a long time like I said. I’m struggling to find the info I’m looking for and so I thought I would just ask.

The question: if you were to pick a line bred male GSP, what lines would you like to see and why?

Your question: what type of dog am I looking for?
This boy will my only dog. He will be a companion first but I want to compete him in NASTRA events and maybe move on from there. I don’t need the AA run bUt I like a dog to be a runner. I hunt on foot almost 100% of the time but I compete more than I hunt. (Just easier to pay my entry fee and run with my dogs).

I realize this is an opinion based question and that’s what I’m looking for, opinions and guidance. Thanks for all your input, it will give a good starting place to look.

It’s good to be back!

I’d go to some NSTRA Trials and look for dogs you like and go that direction.

User avatar
oldbeek
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 647
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Lancaster CA

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by oldbeek » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:35 pm

Jim Wall, Jagermister kennels in Kimberly ID. Jagermister dogs are small 50lb. Cover ground with speed and a straight spine. Excellent noses. Awesome prey drive. Very smart and easy to train. My son has one that is also an excellent family dog. Turns off his prey drive when he comes in the house. Jim is very active in NSTRA. Google Jim Wall, Jagermeister kennels, Kimberly ID. His # is 805-239-9724

weimdogman
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:02 am
Location: brookings s.dak.

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by weimdogman » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:16 am

20200823_090754.jpg
20200823_090754.jpg (184.55 KiB) Viewed 783 times
I like this guy and the dogs I have seen running akc MH tests.

User avatar
greg jacobs
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 859
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:04 am
Location: selah washington

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:36 pm

Fred Rice's sundance,
Cheryl at Outlander,
Friedelsheim.
They have some jacob vd westwind in them

cjhills
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2291
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 am
Location: aitkin,mn

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by cjhills » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:40 am

These breeders have went away from Jacob because of bite issues.......Cj

User avatar
greg jacobs
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 859
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:04 am
Location: selah washington

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by greg jacobs » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:23 pm

Fred just had a frozen semen litter. Not sure if he kept any.. Dez has been bred quite a bit. Andy seems to like him quite a bit. Not to many direct sons around anymore. Which was he producing over or under?

cjhills
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2291
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 am
Location: aitkin,mn

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by cjhills » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:07 pm

greg jacobs wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:23 pm
Fred just had a frozen semen litter. Not sure if he kept any.. Dez has been bred quite a bit. Andy seems to like him quite a bit. Not to many direct sons around anymore. Which was he producing over or under?
Nearly every litter Jacob produced had overbites. They are great dogs in every other way. This is common knowledge at NAVHDA
My Sundance dog is a double bred grandson.......Cj.

User avatar
greg jacobs
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 859
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:04 am
Location: selah washington

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by greg jacobs » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:08 am

cjhills wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:07 pm
greg jacobs wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:23 pm
Fred just had a frozen semen litter. Not sure if he kept any.. Dez has been bred quite a bit. Andy seems to like him quite a bit. Not to many direct sons around anymore. Which was he producing over or under?
Nearly every litter Jacob produced had overbites. They are great dogs in every other way. This is common knowledge at NAVHDA
My Sundance dog is a double bred grandson.......Cj.
Thanks for the info. Not in Nevada as of yet. I do know a couple people that had direct offspring that considered them dogs of a lifetime. Although those dogs are gone now. I would imagine that the good breeders always work on removing the bad traits and doubling up on the good.

You mentioned the gsp breeders are going away from line breeding. The breeders I watch seem to be staying reasonably tight. I'm seeing a lot of litters in the high teens and into twenties. I'm no breeder. I've found it best to trust the longtime reputable breeders and just buy what I need. There are a lot of well bred litters every year. I personally pick the type of litter best suited to foothunting although one of my dogs has way to much FT blood and I found myself nearly over my head. Lol

User avatar
ACooper
GDF Premier Member!
Posts: 3399
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:37 pm
Location: Sometimes I'm in Oklahoma

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by ACooper » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:52 pm

cjhills wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:40 am
These breeders have went away from Jacob because of bite issues.......Cj

Which Breeders have gone away from Jacob?

User avatar
ACooper
GDF Premier Member!
Posts: 3399
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:37 pm
Location: Sometimes I'm in Oklahoma

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by ACooper » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:58 pm

greg jacobs wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:08 am
cjhills wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:07 pm
greg jacobs wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:23 pm
Fred just had a frozen semen litter. Not sure if he kept any.. Dez has been bred quite a bit. Andy seems to like him quite a bit. Not to many direct sons around anymore. Which was he producing over or under?
Nearly every litter Jacob produced had overbites. They are great dogs in every other way. This is common knowledge at NAVHDA
My Sundance dog is a double bred grandson.......Cj.
Thanks for the info. Not in Nevada as of yet. I do know a couple people that had direct offspring that considered them dogs of a lifetime. Although those dogs are gone now. I would imagine that the good breeders always work on removing the bad traits and doubling up on the good.

You mentioned the gsp breeders are going away from line breeding. The breeders I watch seem to be staying reasonably tight. I'm seeing a lot of litters in the high teens and into twenties. I'm no breeder. I've found it best to trust the longtime reputable breeders and just buy what I need. There are a lot of well bred litters every year. I personally pick the type of litter best suited to foothunting although one of my dogs has way to much FT blood and I found myself nearly over my head. Lol
Greg if you’d like to talk about Jake dogs with someone who is objective and doesn’t have an axe to grind I’d be happy to talk to you. Or I can point you in the direction of several others.

User avatar
ACooper
GDF Premier Member!
Posts: 3399
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:37 pm
Location: Sometimes I'm in Oklahoma

Re: GSP lines you would want that I should look into

Post by ACooper » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:11 pm

cjhills wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:07 pm
greg jacobs wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:23 pm
Fred just had a frozen semen litter. Not sure if he kept any.. Dez has been bred quite a bit. Andy seems to like him quite a bit. Not to many direct sons around anymore. Which was he producing over or under?
Nearly every litter Jacob produced had overbites. They are great dogs in every other way. This is common knowledge at NAVHDA
My Sundance dog is a double bred grandson.......Cj.
This is 100% false.

Post Reply