porcupine avoidance

gypsy

porcupine avoidance

Post by gypsy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:56 pm

I really need to get my 22 month old GSP to a porcupine avoidance class.

It is my understanding these classes are conducted during the summer months.

I have have heard they are given in the Boise Idaho area.

Any contact information please??

birds

Re: porcupine avoidance

Post by birds » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:43 am

I did my own. Porcupines are common here, so when my setter pup was about 14 months old and I came across a fresh road kill I stopped and drug it off the road and came back 30 minutes later with the dog and my wife to run the collar. I led the pup in and when he went in to check it out I gave the signal and my wife zapped him. We repeated about two weeks later on another fresh road kill and now he wants nothing to do with quill pigs. I have watched him in action with live ones - nope! This approach may not work as well with a GSP as it does with a setter but its worth a try if the situation presents itself.

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:05 pm

Thank, but there are no porcupine where I live, only in some places we hunt.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:25 pm

An excellent idea to use a road kill porcupine. I wouldn't have thought of that on my own.

Thanks

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:17 pm

I have used road kill porkies to do aversion training with all my dogs. It really works. If you are not in an area where porcupines live, then set it up in the area where you hunt. If you know someone there, get them to put a road kill porcupine in the freezer until you can get there. It only takes two to three repetitions to make a dog wary of the porcupine, then repeat it the next season. Good luck with changing your dog's behaviour, it can really make a difference.