breeds you have trained and owned??

birdogg42

breeds you have trained and owned??

Post by birdogg42 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:52 pm

Just thought that it would be something to talk about. what breeds have you owned or trained and which did you like the best, the worst. there is good and bad in EVERY breed. (believe it or not even in english pointers!!!!LOL)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:23 pm

I have owned Irish Setters, English Setters, Labs, Pointers, GSP's, Viszlas, Brits, Beagles, Dobermans and one Poodle.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:38 pm

ezzy,

sounds like your next addition should be a weim. only one you haven't owned. "once you go weim, you never go back."

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:59 pm

Brittanys :D
setter and pointers and a shittany
Border collie
aussie
poodle
chihuahua
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

hoffmann35

Post by hoffmann35 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:00 pm

I've owned 2 labs, an Irish Setter, Cocker and a GSP.

One of the labs was a great house and water dog. The other got shipped to another home. The Setter and the GSP are as hard headed as they get. The best one is the Cocker. Great disposition and the perfect house dog for us. Only problem with him is seizures every once in a blue moon.
Would like to own a GWP/DD though.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:26 am

Labrador's

Springer Spaniels

German shorthairs

English Setter's

English Pointer's

Vislas

Brittany's

one Gordon Setter
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

schultz's honor

Post by schultz's honor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:10 am

ezzy333 wrote:I have owned Irish Setters, English Setters, Labs, Pointers, GSP's, Viszlas, Brits, Beagles, Dobermans and one Poodle.

Ezzy
How did that poodle work out for you? :D
2 springers, 1 lab, 3 GSP's 1 Llasa Apso
Love the GSP's
The Llasa Apso had no style on point and was a nightmare in the burdocks :lol:

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:01 am

I have had several pointers as well as one GSP, one beagle, one lab, and a lab/chessie mix.
I was given the mixed breed dog by a guy who had an accidental breeding. I had intended to use him for duck hunting but ended up turning him into a bird dog. He had no patiance for sitting in a duck blind, but he would point and hold quail and pheasants.

Silver Sage Kennels

Post by Silver Sage Kennels » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:22 am

Currently :
GSP's
EP
In the past:
GSP's
Labs
Weim's (4 and sorry guys even though there parents were good all were worthless)
Vizlas

I have also been around lots of good britts and a few Wires.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:01 am

9 GSps so far, a lot of springer spaniels when I was younger, they were Dads favorite. I was given a GSP that a guy imported in the early 80s as my first, havent looked at another breed since :)
I am looking into a Hege-Haus bred Deustch Kurzhaar as my next addition.
Can you PM me some info on this? thanks
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Sorno

Post by Sorno » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:17 am

Only springer spanials and GSP's. I will stick to the pointing dogs after the last springer. :lol:

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:08 am

Wow, where do I start....

Pointing dogs -

We bred Vizslas and Wire Coat Vizslas for many years - we owned as many as 30 at a time, and bred and sold over 350 puppies.

One Weimeraner, One GSP, a couple of English Setters,

Lots of Pointers, I've usually had at least 2-3 at a time for the past 35 years.

Other hunting dogs -

1 Yellow Lab, 1 Beagle,

Non- Hunting dogs -

English Bulldog, American Bulldog, 2 Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs.

tip

Dogs

Post by tip » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:10 pm

Hunting Dogs: GSP's, English Pointers, Lab, Irish Setters,English Setters
Non Hunting: Boxer, Jack Russel

3forme

Post by 3forme » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:36 pm

Springers,Lab,GSP's,GWP's,DD's,English Setters, Weimaraner, Brittany.

I have not owned all of these breeds but have trained them. I have owned Springers, Lab, GSP's, DD's or should I say have been owned by :lol:

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:39 pm

GWP's, GSP's, Pointers, when younger Britts. Have never owned a setter but trained a few.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:41 pm

Beagles, Bassets, Bluetick's, Walker's, Labs, Chesapeake's, Golden's, Springers, GWP, GSP, Brittanies, Irish Setter, English Setter, Min. Schnauzers, Cocker and a DD. Favorite Hound: Walker. Favorite retriever Lab. Favorite pointing breed DD.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

shollis

Post by shollis » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:58 pm

I assume we are keeping this conversation to strictly hunting dogs. I've owned and trained a lot with obedience, but..

black lab, rat terrier fiest, and I heped my dad with his deer hounds: Walkers, Redbones, Blueticks, and later as he got a bit older and the hunting party smaller: beagles.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:51 pm

i have owned a britts gsp english setters lewellin setters - will never have another and pointers.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:48 pm

Scottish Terrier, Shepherd/chow or Sharpei mix, GWP, Welsh Terrier, GSP

gonehunting4days

Post by gonehunting4days » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:32 pm

I have owned in order,

Collie, Rat terrier, 2 Boxers, Black and Tan, Red Bone, Blue Tick, and most recently 2 GSP's .

Stump

Post by Stump » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:42 pm

Ive had 4 labs
and a gwp/gsp pup my curret project and new best friend. LOL

cjs180

Post by cjs180 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:18 pm

1 yellow Lab, one GWP.

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:37 pm

chihuahua, beagles, rottweilers, bassett, cocker, and now weims. I have been around a lot of labs, but never officially owned or trained any. I have always wanted to work a retriever so maybe my next will be a lab.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:46 am

Goosehunter,

How about this thread?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Goosehunterdog

Post by Goosehunterdog » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:05 pm

MUCH BETTER!!! Thanks ezzy!!!! Well I have 5 Labrador's that hunt waterfowl and Upland!! I used to have a beagle as a kid that hunted rabbit & squrrel.I also raised and trained coon hounds.We had Redbone,Blue Tick,Black & Tan and Walkers.I have really enjoyed all of the different breeds of dogs on this site.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:23 pm

Several E. Setters over the years, now a Llewellin Setter.
big steve

rnbiii

Post by rnbiii » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:00 pm

I just got my second GSP. She's the first I will be training.

EWSIV

Post by EWSIV » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:21 pm

One Brittany and one lab. I want another Brittany and a setter.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:34 pm

GSP's, 1 Springer, and yes... 1 poodle who lived to 1 month shy of her 19th birthday.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Chaingang wrote:GSP's, 1 Springer, and yes... 1 poodle who lived to 1 month shy of her 19th birthday.
Did you hunt w/ the poodle?

bondoron

Post by bondoron » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:54 pm

GSP's (of course) walker, black and tan, cocker, lab mix, and soon a DK.

Squirrel_Hunter_Gray

Post by Squirrel_Hunter_Gray » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:20 pm

When I was little, my eldest sister had a cocker spaniel (it looked nothing like the dog show variety).

Personally, I have owned the following dogs in chronological order starting with the earliest:

American Foxhound x Beagle (Tippy)

Jack Russell Terrier (short-legged, named Jack)

Border Collie x Lab (Misty...got her as a pup while Jack was still around. She is still alive living with my parents in Virginia)

Treeing Feist (Trigger and Jody) My Dad has a male feist named Flash right now too.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:54 pm

mtlee wrote:
Chaingang wrote:Sp's, 1 Springer, and yes... 1 poodle who lived to 1 month shy of her 19th birthday.
Did you hunt w/ the poodle?
No, she was just the family pet. Although she quite possibly could have. One heck of a career as the resident squirrel deterrent. :wink:

Terry

Post by Terry » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:24 pm

Lab as a kid,

2 Labs now (yellow & black)

Love em, haven't had a pointer yet, (it would be nice for chukar though) but I love the thrill of a flush.

h20fwlkillr

Post by h20fwlkillr » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:37 pm

I used to run beagles (still have 2 ) then redbones. I finally got into bird hunting. First dog was a GSP I got from my uncle. It was a great dog, but died at an early age from cancer. Next was a lab. She was great on waterfowl and dove, sucked on quail. When she passed, I got my first weim and thats all I have owned since. My 2 current dogs are great. I wish I had got into weims from the start.
ImageImageImageImage

Mav&Lizzy

Post by Mav&Lizzy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 am

Currently at my house is a L. Setter, 3 E. Setters and a yellow lab. The Llewe and 2 of the E. Setters are mine. The lab is a very good hunting dog, it was a gift to my son on his 5th birthday, he is 14 now. The other E. Setter is 10 weeks old and also belongs to my son. It is his "1st" dog. He researched it, picked it out and paid for it himself. He has done a considerable amount of training with me and my L. Setter and one of the E. Setters and plans on training this new one all by himself. A very exciting time for him!!!!

I've had a total of 9 E. Setters, 2 Dalamations, 1 Siberian Husky and 1 mut as a kid. I won't have anything but hunting dogs for the rest of my life.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:25 pm

My personal 1st I remember: Toy Manchester Blackie. Great buddy for a kid. Liked to have killed me when she passed.

From the 1st I remember until I was about 16-17: 40-50 Benchleg(as we called them) Beagles. My Father Bred, Trained and Trialed them locally. He trained for local hunters and trained ours for Hunting, Trials and potential breeding stock. I started going on trips to the river bottom and field edges, where he trained, with him when I was about 5 or 6 and started an early love affair with the outdoors and dogs. By the time I was 8 or so, many of the duties that went with training and keeping dogs were well ingrained and part of my daily chores. We lost our last Beagle when I was probably around 17. Fur prices had drastically dropped, people stopped trapping, predator populations soared and bunnies all but disappeared. Since my Father had always been involved with Beagles for the sport of hunting more than anything, slowly and surely our kennels full of Beagles dwindled to the Ol' Man Sam and girl Pride until they passed away.

During this same time period of my life, we had 1 Blue Tick Coonhound(Virginia or Ginny), given away when she was 2 to a fella that Dad had taken a shine on and really wanted her bad; 1 German Shepherd(Trooper), "given away" after the 2nd time he had "protected" us boys during a pick up football game(not sure he actually gave him away); 1 Pointer(Misty), was my Mothers dog and Dads personal gun dog and was around long before me and up until I was about 7-8 before going over the bridge; 1 Irish Setter(Satan), replaced the Pointer and was the 1st bird dog I was involved with all her training and was heck on, at that time, Quail in MD and Phez in PA. She was unintentionally poisoned with anti-freeze by the neighbor, after a tune up on his car, when I was 14 or 15. My Dads last bird dog.......... We also had a Poodle or 2 through these years..... notice how I snuck this in here! 1 Doberman(Chrissy) that was a first class baby, great housedog and yard dog, passed on from Cancer around the same time as our last Beagles. Don't really remember when we got her, but she was a Guard dog drop out (remember "baby") and knew absolutely every property line of our yard, but would only run up to people, sit down and smile and pant at them!

Went out into the world at 17 and didn't have any dogs for 1 1/2 years, until I got a Pit (Booger). Only had her for 6 months or so and realized that I still didn't have the time for a dog and gave her away to a family friend. A year later I had a career change, had moved back "locally" and again had time for a dog. Promptly got a Black Lab(Stymie) and started training him for Waterfowl, with grand visions of trying jump shooting of ducks on the river. He turned out to be extremely gunshy. Couldn't fire a cap gun within a hundred yards of him, or he would take off for home no matter how far away we were. I had to put him down the day after Christmas 2005 at 16 years old, Blind and Deaf. He could'nt get up Xmas Day to even go to the bathroom and I couldn't let him go on like that any longer. Called the DVM at home (close friend) and he said I could bring him in the next day. Bathed him up real nice, fed him steak and gravy that night and never left his side until I had quit crying at the DVM's the next day after he had left. Took me a long, long time to leave that room. His ashes now rest on top of my TV cabinet in a nice Marble Memorial.

Modern day: '96 I got my 1st Shorthair (Godiva). She was an amazingly talented young Solid Liver gal. You see, around the same time I had gotten my Lab, a long time family friend and co-worker in my new career, introduced me to Grouse hunting. An addiction in itself that over the course of 5-6 years, led to a sharp decline in my late season bow hunting and then the desire to get a bird dog. After hunting behind a friends GSP, I was hooked. At only 4 months old, this lil gal on her 1st walk on the skid trails I hunted for Grouse, pointed and held on the 1st bird she ever smelled. I couldn't believe it and joked to her, "Who are you kidding?" "I guess you think you got a bird?" and then it blew out as I walked to her! I was amazed! Over the next couple months she just got better and better on our walks, until at 8 months old a tragic accident claimed her and destroyed me. After another 8 mo.s of mourning, my Wife Jen, finally convinced me to get another. We contacted the Breeder and got a 1/2 sister to Godiva, our current day Calamity Jane. From there came Percy, then Dalin, then Lola, now Doodle and a few pups we've kept along the way and, and, and...... you get the jest. Now, there is Bird Season, Training Season, Testing and Trial Season with Show Season in the middle there and a couple of very long and difficult weeks that cause intermission in all of this, called Firearms Deer Season; that never ends fast enough.

I now feel I was blessed to be raised with so many dogs along the way, as I seem to have a connection with dogs that others just seem to miss. Perhaps living, working and hunting with dogs was and is my lifes calling. I'll let you know in another 30-40 years! :D

I apologize for the great length, but it was a great trip down memory lane as I've typed this.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)