41/2 month brittany

Ripley

41/2 month brittany

Post by Ripley » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:08 pm

I have recently aquired a 4 month old male britt. I have had him in the field several times in the last three weeks, he is bold, and independant and ranges out to a 100 yards. I have plantted many chuckar for him and he has pointed every bird staunchly. On the 12th, and 13th bird with him on full chase I shot the birds with a light load 20 gauge. He found the birds, mouthed them but did not want to retrieve. I have the oppertunity to hunt Ripley on a reserve loaded with pheasant, and chuckar.........( Am I moving to quickly for this youngster????)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:53 pm

Yes he is only 4 months old...I would first only shoot birds he has pointed...shooting while in chase there is only one reson i will do this and that is helping a gun shyt dog over a problem but that is the ONLY reson...Shooting on a flying bird the dog hasn't pointing will only cause you to make a flushing dog out of your britt or any birddog for that fact and as for retrieves that you will have to work under controlled envirnment..which at this point should be a short training sessions and most all fun...for some helpful training tips http://www.brittanygundogs.com/Brittany_training.htm this remember you will have plenty of years with your britt ....starting on a foundation of good training will make for a better relation in the long run
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

TAK

Post by TAK » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:46 pm

Big question is are you going to trial the dog in any format?
I train Meat Dogs a little different than say a trial dog.
4 months old, and mouthed a chukar.... There is the hope that the pup is just to small to get it in his mouth and carry it to you????? If not maybe some force breaking at a latter date is in order.
I would be playing a little fetch with the dog in controled areas.

At this age I would not go put it in front of a firing squad! I have seen countless dogs get this treatment only to gun shy them up. Sure if you and the dog want to go chase some birds by all means. Prey that the birds are good reactive birds the dog can't catch.....

Ripley

Post by Ripley » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:45 pm

Thanks for the advise, perhaps mouthed is the wrong word.... He poined the bird, whoaed, and allowed me to kneel, and pet him. We then flushed the bird, and he chased, at about 20 yards I downed the bird and Rip layed down and sniffed / mouthed the bird.

I would be able to seperate myself, and Ripley from the other hunters on this 240 acre reserve near Logan, Utah.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:10 pm

that is a bit different..but still a pup and when he got that bird to him it is still a prize.....
try playing fect in a hallway with a frozen bird on a checkcord throw to the end of the hallway and let him go to it when he starts to put his mouth on the bird excitly tell him to fetch it up while gently pulling him towards you..then when he does bring you the bird just reward him first letting him know it is a good thing to have the bird in his mouth next to you...if he starts to mouth it just gently hold under his jaw telling him to hold and that he's a good boy then ask for the bird gently rolling it backwards it to his mouth...if he has the deatch grip take your thumb and middle finger coming from under his jaw and press into the corner of his mouth till he opens and you can retrieve the bird....If he is excited about this go ahaead and throw it again....But ALWAYS leaving them wanting more so if you got a good one the first time and he is very excited about that do it again...but if there is any question then wait till another time to repeat this lesson ..Remember to keep the lessons short fun and simple
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:54 am

I've also taken quail wings and wrapped tem with rubber bands to a tennis ball and wore that out with my britt. Everytime I would throw it I'd hold his collar and yell dead bird when it hit the ground. I don't field trial mine and have no desire to so I have worked him the way I want to hunt. What I have also done is do this at night with very little light and that way he almost has to watch which way I point to be able to find the ball.

TAK

Post by TAK » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:55 pm

Ripley wrote:Thanks for the advise, perhaps mouthed is the wrong word.... He poined the bird, whoaed, and allowed me to kneel, and pet him. We then flushed the bird, and he chased, at about 20 yards I downed the bird and Rip layed down and sniffed / mouthed the bird.

I would be able to seperate myself, and Ripley from the other hunters on this 240 acre reserve near Logan, Utah.
As far as retrieving with this guy I would do as K9 said and control the short training times and work him into it.
Q: were did the brit come from... Lines that is....

Utah! Well you are going to need to just come on out this spring play! Also what ever thing you do as far as trials there is a few around Utah from AKC, NSTRA, NAVHDA, and even some money hunts.
I have heard of the Logan bird ranch but never have been there. I run on Hickens/Pleasant Valley Hunting Preserve.