What would you do?

Pryor Creek Okie

What would you do?

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:35 pm

At this point it looks as though my marraige may be terminal. With that said, I'll probably be looking for a new home for one of my dogs. I'd love to keep them both, but I see myself living in a small apartment in the not so distant future. After serving a tour in Alaska, Annie is quite accustomed to the housedog lifestyle, so I've decided to keep her. Duke, the pup in my avatar, is ten months old and has been my pride and joy since I brought him home at eight weeks old. Unfortunately, the Army has kept me busy and I haven't spent as much time training as I would have liked. He has been on some released quail a few times and introduced to gunfire. He is a very loving and well behaved dog. He spends his days outside in our fenced in yard and comes inside at night to sleep in his crate. I'd like to say that he's house broke, but he never really spends enough time loose in the house to do any business. My first thoughts were to find a local bird dog lover and just give him away. My concern is that if I do so he may end up in the hands of someone who just wants a free bird dog, and when they realize thats he's not as well trained as they would like, who knows what will happen. So I thought about selling him with the hopes that at least this way I'd know that the new owner was serious and committed. What would you do?

bird

Post by bird » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:16 am

Last edited by bird on Mon May 05, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:15 am

I would love to have him PM sent
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:44 am

First and foremost, contact Duke's breeder. He/She may be able to help find a new home for Duke. If all else fails, the breed rescue groups are excellent to work with. If possible, give then a couple months to work with you, but they can help in getting your boy into a home where hunting ability/training level is secondary to home quality. AKC has breed rescue groups listed on their website.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am

You might try contacting a local preserve or bird dog club near you. They should be able to help you

Hope all works out to the best for you
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:30 am

Geez guys whats wrong with me??

I would give him a great home, know what I am doing, hunt all over the west and would love to have him.

I feel invisible :oops:
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:34 am

Sorry bobman! no offense meant. just trying to offer alternatives if that didn't work out :D
ImageImage

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:17 am

Heres some my dogs "roughing it"
I love my dogs and they are part of my family

Image[/url]

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:21 am

he he! Looks like my house!

ImageImage

flgunner

Post by flgunner » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:56 am

Those dogs lead a very rough life :lol: About like mine!

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:48 am

I have loved the looks of that pup since you first posted his picture. If you want a great loving home for him where he'll see MANY, MANY birds, just let me know!! Seriously!

PS. I own a littermate to his daddy and a half brother to his mom (Avatar)!
Last edited by Yawallac on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:50 am

Yawallac wrote:I have loved the looks of that pup since you first posted his picture. If you want a great loving home for him where he'll see MANY, MANY birds, just let me know!! Seriously!
I can vouch for Yawallac. His dogs are well cared for and he does a lot with them. Your pup will have a great home if he goes with him!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:52 am

I've followed bobmans posts for quite a while and I would grab that offer in a heart beat. Perhaps he would work a deal that down the road if he had a litter and you could take one, he'd give you one. Bet he would!

There's others here I would do that with, they just haven't offered.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

bird

Post by bird » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:57 am

Last edited by bird on Mon May 05, 2008 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:08 am

Sorry bobman,

I read Steven's post and jumped right to the end! I didn't even see your offer.

...But a pup down the road isn't a problem with me either. We breed a LOT of pups here! :D

PS Steven, truly sorry about your situation. I did something similar with a female GSP years ago when I got divorced. I finally received a pup for her a couple of years ago (22 years later).

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:25 am

I'm in NW Alabama. If it turns out that my kennel is an "in between" point for someone I will put the dog up a few days.

Charles

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:29 am

Sorry Yawallac, I made my post While you were posting your's. There's another I would trust. Young man, your only problem is deciding who to give it to! Pick a name out of a hat.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:41 am

Don,

No problem, I'm sure that bobman would provide a great home as well.

Duke came out of Harris kennels. Jim and I share much of the same lines so I have always had a particular interest in Duke. He is a gorgeous little guy and has a lot of family here already! :D

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:07 pm

Pryor-
This may not even interest you but here it goes. I remember you saying something about moving to Kansas with the Army in near future. I would be willing to board your dog till you get settled out here and then you could take him back. I would only want you to pay for any vet bills and get him out here somehow. He would see plenty of birds even be used for guiding if that would suite you. Sounds like you have a few other offers on the table as it stands now so take ur pick! Just thought it may keep you from having to get rid of him perminanlty.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:20 pm

I suggested he try and patch things up and keep the dog and the wife, weve all had wife problems they can make you feel a little desperate sometimes :lol:

But would love to have that pup, I've loved the looks of him ever since I first saw the avatar.

Yawallac you're writing and dog pictures was a good part of what got me interested in EPs in the first place.

Those Clown dogs in the picture on the couch are 11.5 years old (I have two more from that litter that couldn't fit on th couch :? )and it will break my heart when the inevitable occurs. I plan to get one more EP pup when that happens.

I hope it all turns around for him and he gets to keep his pup, that would be the best outcome,
then I'll probably buy a pup from Yawallac.

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:10 pm

First of all I'd like to thank all of you for your generous offers. Right now I'm still looking for a way to keep Duke (and my marraige), but it's great to know that if I have to lose him I will be able to place him in a good home with one of you. While I may not be a frequent poster, I do check the forum nearly everyday and I know that you are all knowledgable handlers who genuinely care about your dogs. Hopefully my situation resolves itself soon. If not I will let you all know and perhaps we can work something out.

Reech

Post by Reech » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:24 pm

Good Luck to you!

Reech

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:43 pm

Steven,

I sincerely hope you can work things out with your bride. That would be the best news.

Ross.

gonehunting4days

Post by gonehunting4days » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:46 pm

How much time do you have in service, It may not be to late for a change, I did it for my family and things are much better now, I have my two shorthairs,wife and 4 kids.

Just an option

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:23 pm

pryor,

i don't have an EP experience of my own, but i have been on a couple of guided hunts that used them. what great dogs, and like bobman, i have been crazy about duke since you put him in your avatar. there's just something about that look in his eye. needless to say, i will be more than happy to expand my current weim pack with an ep. the weims are likely to spoil him though and get used to central heat and air living. if nothing else, i can offer like highcotton to put him up for a bit during transition for you. however, i am in southern mississippi so not really in transit unless you have to fly him through new orleans. i would be more than happy to pick him up and love on him for a couple of days, and then take him back to airport for you. so, with the other posters, i do understand if you look at them as homes if you must. but, this southern gent will be more than happy to take him and provide a good home for him. i am not a breeder so i can't offer any future pups in return, but i can offer duke a life of luxury.

you have too many good offers to consider a rescue. please don't rescue your dog unless you absolutely must, which you don't. rescues are great, great, great options for many dogs, but as with any organization a lot is left to chance. he has a hunting background, you have had him on birds, and worked with gun introduction so you really need to have him go to a hunting home to do what he was bred to do. with bird exposure and prey drive built, the rescue may have a harder time placing him b/c of their care in choosing families. many rescuers and foster families don't hunt their dogs. there are exceptions, but not for duke. if your wife and you split, pick some of the great offers you have gotten from here.

it will be tought to part with him so when if you do split why not look at renting a house instead of apt???? being in the military, it can't be too hard to find a roommate. I know here in a college town you can rent a house for just about the same money that you spend on an apt. you could and a friend/co-worker could rent a 3 BR/2 BA home and slit the rent and cost you less than an apt. that way duke has his own room!!!! :wink:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:28 am

Another vote here for Bobman; that dog will get an exceptional home with a very good trainer. Nothing wrong with Yowie either but I know bobman has a bunch that are getting old and he needs some young blood in his dog's. Him too but that's another matter.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:12 pm

Well, I somehow managed to save my marraige. I guess things aren't always as bad as they seem. So it looks like I'll be able to keep my pup. I've been spending a lot of time working with him lately and he's learning quick. I want to thank all of you once again for your offers and it works both ways, so if there's ever anything I can do for you just let me know.
Thanks again, Steven.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:34 pm

...so if there's ever anything I can do for you just let me know.
Yes there is, please post some pics of that little guy! :D

PS Work hard at that marrige. It will be worth the effort!!

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:42 pm

Get her involved in some way with your dogs. The best training partner I ever had was my wife. She was also my favorite fishing buddy.

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:43 pm

Yawallac wrote:
...so if there's ever anything I can do for you just let me know.
Yes there is, please post some pics of that little guy! :D

PS Work hard at that marrige. It will be worth the effort!!
I took some training pictures today and will post them as soon as I can find the stinking USB cord for my camera. He has really developed into a beautiful dog in the past few months while I've been gone and I can't wait to show him off.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:02 am

Pictures?????????? :D

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:11 pm

I wanted to give you the two cents worth from a female as well. Get her involved in hunting and training with you. Teach her how to teach the pup and what it is you are looking for and why. PLEASE though make sure to make her know there is NEVER a dumb quesiton. Once you start doing this together and having a blast with it and your dogs it will be soooo rewarding.

My husband and I bought our first GSP together and now have three. We trained from the begining together and are learning together. Neither of us were hunters in the past. Nothing like a nice sunday afternoon in the woods with the sun beating down on ya through the trees looking for birds, watching the dog work and being able to have great conversation that the bussy week before and upcoming don't always allow for!

Hope all is going well!

GL

Post by GL » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:22 pm

WOW, someone went back quite a ways to find this OLD thread!

Nice to see all the commeraderie here and I do hope Duke and his family are all doing great!

I am sure I would never have such a problem even if I was gone forever because our pup is the apple of both of our eyes.

I can only hope if we both went that one of our friends would put Goldy with one of the fine folks here!

Gary

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:39 pm

Yawallac wrote:Pictures?????????? :D
Here you go Yawallac. I never did find my USB cord, so I had my wife snap a few pictures with her camera in the yard today. Not the best pictures, but they will have to do until I get a new cord for my camera.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:58 pm

He's just like I imagined. He's beautiful!!! Thanks for the pics! :D