30 coveys in one day! have you?

chukarorbust

30 coveys in one day! have you?

Post by chukarorbust » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:36 pm

I have got to ask. on some other bbs some have said they have. I have know reason to not to believe them but wow have and what species. tell me the story. one guy said he has got into 15 coveys in one hour! wow.

I am a covey hunter but 30 coveys in a day?

If you have please tell me the story. I'm blown away.

on a real good chukar day with 3 guys maybee 15 to 20 maybe and thats different coveys. I would like to see there shoulders after thirty if they all didn't out.

as you can tell I'm struggling with this!

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:57 pm

I called BS when he posted that same thing last year; I decided not to reply on the most recent post.

I’m a chukar hunter also and 10-12 covey contacts is about the best I ever do and that is not very often.
Willie Hunter

chukarorbust

Post by chukarorbust » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:11 pm

THANKS WILLIE, I thought I was crazy! but I can't get over it.

alright, alright, I'm ok! :twisted:

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:16 pm

i have seen truck hunters with several dogs in south texas put up 15 -20 coveys in a morning. covered a lot of ranch. hunt with dusty marshall, down in sorieta, texas. he has the birds. last time i spoke with him he had access to the kennedy ranch 300,000 acres and another little place around falfuris.

Tejas

How many coveys?

Post by Tejas » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:01 pm

Perhaps once in a lifetime there is a confluence of perfect weather, perfect cover, perfect bird carryover from the prior year etc.

In the South Plains area of West Texas, the year was 1987. I made the 50 mile drive from Midland to Seminole and my excitement was rising as I counted 37 coveys of bobwhites in the bar ditches on the drive.

There was a hunting party of six and our method was very similar to the tactic of walkers and blockers frequently utilized in pheasant hunting.

We flushed 52 coveys that day just walking the ends of pastures without any dogs.

Later on that season about 75 miles to the east in a hunting party of 3 with a rotation of about eight dogs we raised 48 coveys.

Alas, two years later we hunted every weekend of the season and didn't raise but about 15 coveys total.

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:10 am

Willie, you may have called BS on what I posted last year. You're just as wrong this year as you were last year. If you haven't done it, might not want to call anything.

Funny, you keep looking for someone to agree that I'm a liar chukar. Guess what, Texans and Okies who actually hunt large managed ranches know better than some yankee.

It's funny to see people calling BS as you guys say. Might be just lousy dogs and lousy ranches you hunt.

chukarorbust

Post by chukarorbust » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:22 am

trublu,

I'm not calling you a liar. you are just one of a very few on all these bbs that has.

now that does make me curious. :lol:

It's ok trublu, no harm no foul. I got the answers I thought I would.

happy hunting! :wink:

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:45 am

Just funny to me when people don't like the truth they look for answers that fit their own truth or belief. Kind of like the guy who gets on the boards and says his dog is afraid of guns, then he's told HE made the dog gunshy, and he gets upset with those who told him the truth. Guess we just need to lie and everyone will be happy.

I'm sure it's tough to hear that some of us can move that many birds in good years.

Trust me, you didn't hurt my feelings, I'm far far tougher than letting someone I don't know call me a liar and letting it affect me in any way.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:20 pm

As far as chukars goes, I don't think I'd want my dogs on that many coveys a day. No body and I mean nobody can cover as much chukar country as they can flatlands. You move 30 covey's a day in chukar country and there's to many birds! How in the world do you keep a handle on a dog that get's into birds that often? Now if you were to hunt for eight hours on the flatlands for Quail, maybe even Huns, you'd be hitting a covey about every 20 min or less. Probably less figuring in time to work, shoot and wait on retrieves. I'd really rather a dog didn't hit birds that often.

That said, I used to have a place near home where I could go phesant hunting and see 300 birds a day easy. That's a day of about three hours! It was pure disaster for the dogs tho.

I have found Quail in great numbers while hunting in Vale, Ore. I have no idea how many covey's but if you hit the Quail cover before the beet fields for Phesant's, your dog would become pretty useless. Just to many birds and like pumping the dogs with drugs. Before they get settled down from the last find, they are on another. Take a dog into a pen full of game birds sometime and let him go. See if you can whoa him. About the same thing!

There used to be a number of trainers up here that went to Arizona every winter just for huge numbers of Quail. Some said that the dog's no sooner got moving than they were into birds again. To work with fifteen dogs a day, that would be heaven!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:12 pm

You Texan fellars - who knows what to believe? Messer, Mason & Franco all tried to get me to believe they'd driven 24 hours straight to get to the Sharptail just to run a day in the Am. - I know they'd been up there training all summer pointing 30 bunches of sharpies per day per dog getting ready to lay a down south whoopin' on us Yanks!

We got 22 coveys of huns pointed one day with a smattering of chukars, a couple quail, and one porcupine. On foot. Always tough to know if you've got the same covey twice - the numbers never changed since we couldn't hit anything. Dogs still seemed to have their minds at the end of the day. My buddy carries a covey counter do-hicky on his lanyard - I wonder if it was just his dogs finds he was counting?? They never do give credit to my mutts for a find but being spotted running under a covey in the air and barking is a find in my book!

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:36 am

I am ashamed to admit it but I missed 55 roosters in one day of pheasant hunting. I was so uptight each time became worse I have no idea why I am usaully a fair shot. That number is permantly etched in my brain, absolutely the most frustrating experience of my 40 plus years of hunting.

I've had lots of days in good years where that many individual birds are pointed.

Texas ( I used to live there in the early 70's) in a real good year is slap full of quail so I believe it without a doubt. Its was easy to find 10 coveies in a couple hours if you knew where to look.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

covey numbers

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:04 pm

Where you huntin at Trueblu I'd like some of that action? I live in the Oklahoma panhandle about 100 miles north of Amarillo. We are seeing good quail numbers and fantastic pheasant numbers but nothing like that. If its close and public I would love to get in on that action.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:30 am

Tommyboy I have moved over thirty in the Panhandle just a couple of years ago, mixed Bobs and Blues. No need to go to Texas for it. Hunt either Beaver or Optima enough and you learn those grounds well. Better yet get ya few section of private land, much easier. Finding that many coveys is much the same as catching twice as many fish as another does, it's all in knowing what terrain to skip and what to hit. Course you still have people calling BS and such in that case.

BTW COB I heard from a good friend ya used my name on the SSBS board calling me out for pics. Next time you do that at least do it on a board I go to, I aint been a visitor to that cesspool in quite a bit. Ya want pics let me scan the ones from the 32 covey opener and I'll post em!!!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:04 pm

I do hunt Optima quite a bit for bobs but hunt around Goodwell for Blues and Pheasant. I am actually the chairman of Quail Unlimited in our area and our group was instrumental in getting Danny(wildlife biologist) and Max(game warden) to finally do some controlled burns and replant food plots out at Optima on the Hooker Road. I will have to make a trip over to Beaver since I know Danny spends most of his time and effort over there and check out the hunting over there. I hunt mostly on that road going to Hooker from Optima. Is there a better place out there or perhaps out at Schultz? Me and a friend plan to hit that opening day early since last year when I went out there it was mostly all out of staters and every single parking spot was filled out on the Hooker Road and at Schultz.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:35 am

HEH HEH we got some common ground I have known Danny since day 1 and always harrass him about getting some work done, good you could get someting outta him. Aside from making sure the feed plots on his bowstands are done that is :wink: . Shockingly enough with my familys history up there I have never had any dealings with Max, but my uncle sure has :lol: .

Personally for quail I have had better luck around Bryans Corners, Balko and Forgan than Hooker/Optima but a good friend who hunts Optima has a line on the place as he always does very well. We did real good at Forgan last year on a mixed hunt for quail and ditch parrots, as well as could be expected for last season. Now Beaver I know that place like the back of my hand and can show ya where birds have been on that place for near 30 years.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:35 pm

Well Danny stays over in Beaver mostly because he lives over there and wants that over there to look nice and well managed while 60 miles away we have to have an old run down and delapidated hunting area. Last year everything that is food plots this year was solid fields of prickly pear where you couldnt even walk between the cacti you had to walk on top of it and hope you didnt get it through the boot last year. Hopefully he will start keeping it up now though that we have our national QU representative down once in awhile and he speaks with Allen Peoples quite a bit. We should really try and get together and do some bird hunting sometime. I could take you on some private land if you like to hunt blues over sage brush and pheasant over big CRP fields. I just harp on Optima and Danny because I love to go over there and hunt bobs in the woods and plum thickets. PM me sometime if you wanna get together on some hunting. I have 2 fairly good dogs and friends to hunt with but the more the merrier. Who is your uncle? I might know him, this is a sort of small area here where everyone knows everyone.