New Brittany puppy

utahmomof4

New Brittany puppy

Post by utahmomof4 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:53 am

We decided after going pheasant hunting last weekend with my husband's Airedale that we need a real bird dog. :lol: (Don't get me wrong, I know Airedales can be trained to hunt birds, but this one hasn't. He's a fur dog, and that's the way my husband likes him, so we don't want to mess with that.) After much deliberation and reading, we have decided on a Brittany. I have spent HOURS looking for kennels, reading up on pedigrees, tips, etc. I have found a breeder near where we live. They have 2 dogs, who are their hunting companions first and foremost. Here's what they say:
Upper Ridge dogs come with a 3 year health guarantee against genetic defects and our promise of the best hunting and family companion. Both sire and dam are OFA24G, have their DNA profiles in the national data base and have great hunting ability.

Upper Ridge is dedicated to Brittany improvement. Our mission is to raise the whole dog, one who hunts and loves the family. Our male is out of Nebraska and host of pedigree with 18 hall of fame dogs and 64 champions, including DCAFC Shoshoni WarChief and NFCDC Gamblers Ace in the Hole. Our Female's line includes Hall of Fame NFCFC Microdot and other notables. You can't beat these dogs for hunting ability. We socialize our puppies with children of all ages and numerous dogs so that they make great family members.
Of the female: Tania loves running with our kids in the backyard almost as much as she loves running through the fields and forest in search of grouse, pheasant and quail. Tania loves to run big and is currently being trained as a field trial dog.

Of the male: Ron is our hunter through and through. Nothing escapes his keen nose and sharp eyes, including the wiggling toes of our four year old. His favorite love, however, is finding the all elusive grouse, chuckar, quail and chortling pheasant. Ron is started out as my personal hunting companion but has since started hunting bigger and bigger. He respondes to whistle and voice commands, runs large when required and close when needed. He is trained to whoa, heyo, hold and honor. If the birds are out there, Ron will find and hold them. I was courious, so I kept him on hold for 15 minutes. This dog can hunt.

As it happens, they just had a litter and they aren't all spoken for, so we're going to go up on Saturday to have a look. We want a female.

Here's my question for those of you who know immeasurably more about Brittanys, and dogs in general, than I do (which isn't hard :lol:) - Does the above information sound promising? Does it sound like this is going to be a good place to get a puppy? Any other advice or tips you may want to offer would be also appreciated.

Thanks in advance. I'm getting very excited!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:17 am

Looks good on the front part

Ask them about the health on the pups and what will they do if something should not be right like if the pup shows up with HD or allergies

OFA is a good thing but it wil NOT garuantee that pups will not show up with it it does show that the breeder has bred their dogs which are free of it and lessons the chances of the pups showing up with it
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:21 am

Welcome. The breeding sounds excellent on the pups andthe health quaranteee sounds great but findout what they do if you do have a problem.

Take some time and see if you can see the parents in the field. If they satisfy you go for it. The breeding tells me they may want to work big but that is good even if you want to shorten them some. With that kind of breeding I would look for a quieter calmer pup and not the most aggresive for the type of hunter I think you are looking for.

Finding someone close you can work with can be a real advantage so I strongly suggest you look and try to find the one you want right there if you are happy with what you see.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:30 am

Sine it sounds like there are some pups availble

Ask the breeder also how they evalute their pups and fi they do

SOme people are looking for a better trial prospect some want hunting dogs

What may be pick of the litter to you might be the last pick to another

If pups are being bred with even temperments and handled you will have different levels of pups but ..it should be like one scared in a coner type behavior also...if you see that ...I would seek another litter...Just as easy to fall in love with a well balanced breeding with the best potential there can be in a pup as there is in a litter wwhere the people are just trying to fill a market

good Luck
and yes on the family dog pick the middle of the road pup..one that doesn't mind not being the leader of the pack...they will fit in the family better
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:17 am

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the input.

Keep it comin'. :)

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:25 pm

come with a 3 year health guarantee against genetic defects
This was my red flag. I went to the website and had a gander around. Nice looking dogs, nice pedigree. As Al points out, the breeding will give the pups some pretty big range naturally. Al also points out, the range issue is merely a matter of proper training.

My first question to the breeder is why the time limit on the health guarantee? Canine hip dysplasia/OFA certification doesn't happen until the dog is 2 years old. Peri Retinol atrophy ( where the retina detaches leaving the dog suddenly blind) can happen anytime. Heart defects aren't often picked up until later also. :roll: Ask this breeder if they check hearts and eyes as part of their screening process of their breeding stock. Not to sound like a parrot here...what, pray tell does the breeder do if there IS a problem found?

I know that for a long time, the Wasatch Front Brittany Club has been siting idle with only two members on the roster. This breeder advertises links to the American Brittany Club website meaning he is at least familiar with the parent club. I have heard that the Wasatch Front BC is in a revival state and that there are some new members trying to get it back up on it's feet again...is this breeder one of those members? What kind of support can this breeder offer to you and your husband as far as getting the dog started off on the right foot? Does he recommend a trainer or can he offer training services?

In the unlikely event that you become unable to care for your pup during it's lifetime, will this breeder take back the dog and give it safe haven during your crisis? This is an important question and really separates the back yard breeder mentality from the committed and responsible breeder mentality. Anyone out there worth their salt as a breeder will not hesitate to tell you that they will take the dog back.

The breeder of your new dog should be able to be your sounding board and resource for all things regarding your new Brittany pup. By this I don;t mean that they need to be checking in on your progress with your dog on a weekly basis but that you should feel comfortable picking up the phone and calling them at any time. No question is too insignificant and your breeder should be patient and kind and be able to keep you going in a positive direction with your dog. They should be be willing to answer all of your questions not only prior to the sale but also afterwards.

If you get the sense that this breeder is as committed to the dog's success and welfare as you are going to be as it's new owner then I believe you may have found a lovely litter of Brittany pups from which to choose your new family member. :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:25 pm

Helen,

It sure is hard to please some people
Quote:
come with a 3 year health guarantee against genetic defects
This was my red flag.
I will have to remember to never offer a 3 year health quarantee because I want to be sure the buyer is covered on the OFA and other health problems. Since the test can't be done till the dog is at least 2 nd you may have to wait to get into the vet and then wait to get the reading back, many times a 2 year quarantee is worthless in court.

And there is nothing that says a Brittany breeder should belong to a regional club. Those are for people who enjoy the social aspects of having Brittanys and does not indicate the pups are any better because of it.

You have to be on the verge of paranoid to find a red flag with an ad that says exactly what any puppy buyer would want. Good breeding, parents good hunting dogs, health checkups and quarantees, and they are close by where the buyer can get to them if they want or need to. What a deal for a new buyer.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:32 pm

Thank you for that response, Ezzy. In the breeder websites (nationwide) that I was looking at on Sunday, I found lots of them that offered 2-year health guarantees and only 1 or 2 that offered a lifetime guarantee. I figured a 3-year guarantee sounded pretty good. I will ask what they will do in case of a health problem. Thanks for that tip.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:49 pm

Good to see you here Utahmom! The responses so far are why I gave you the heads up on this forum. They've been a great help to me.
G

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:00 pm

I will have to remember to never offer a 3 year health quarantee because I want to be sure the buyer is covered on the OFA and other health problems. Since the test can't be done till the dog is at least 2 nd you may have to wait to get into the vet and then wait to get the reading back, many times a 2 year quarantee is worthless in court.

And there is nothing that says a Brittany breeder should belong to a regional club. Those are for people who enjoy the social aspects of having Brittanys and does not indicate the pups are any better because of it.
I think that both of you may have not have grasped the intent of what I wrote. I did not mean imply that the breeder needed to be a member of a regional club, it was more of a preface into my question as to whether there were additional resources or services available to get the pup properly started in the field training. Yes the regionals are good place for the social venue however,*most* regional clubs offer an excellent place for the NEW owner to have a place to START when seeking to further their knowledge of the breed. I mentioned the local Utah Club specifically because it is in a revival mode, with an eye towards the hunter as well as the hunt test venues and there are several new members.

It is not paranoia at all that gives me second thoughts at a "3 year health guarantee". I happen to be a breeder that stands behind my breeding program for LIFE and I find the whole time limit issue to be pure crap. You siad yourself Ezzy that a 2 year contract is useless and you lined out why.

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:12 pm

It sounds as though getting in touch with a local dog club would be a good resource. I may look into that farther as things get moving along.

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:12 pm

Utahmom I know the breeding of the male dog Ron well. Rons mom is out of DSeeker Britts in Lincoln Nebraska. Rons mom was actually shot a year ago in a hunting accident but I know two of her offspring very well I believe one is a littermate to that Ron dog, which has passes to becoming a master hunter herself. You can't go wrong with the breeding in my eyes. I know nothing of the the bitch of the litter but the male dog should through natural retreive and natural honoring dogs. I would go for it hands down. I think i'm interested myself now after looking. good luck keep us all posted on how things go.
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Brushbustin - Thank you very much for your reply. It's certainly reassuring to hear from someone who is familiar with these particular lines. I anticipate we'll be putting a deposit on one of the females on Saturday. :D

I do appreciate everyone's input. I'm sure I'll have many more questions after I get the pup. :lol:

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:08 pm

Glad I could help out. What are they getting for prices out of those pups? Just curious.
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:47 pm

They were advertisting $350 for the males and $400 for females. They had 10 pups. As of this morning, they had 5 males and 2 females still available (after I put down my deposit :D).

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:59 pm

The puppies were born yesterday (on Monday, I got an email from the breeder that the mom was in labor, so I had assumed they would be born that day... nope!).

Pics from their website: http://upperridge.com/_wsn/page3.html

AT2

Post by AT2 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:20 pm

Don't know about the pups yet, but the parents are some really good looking dogs!

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:29 pm

Congrats UTAHMOM! I just went thru this and the next 8 weeks are the hardest!

That seems like a great price. I am almost embarrassed to say what us east-coasters pay - but it pushes a grand for a good pedigreed dog.

You may want to check out the Rick Smith puppy development DVD at http://www.huntsmith.com One of the puppies they use alot in the video is a little brit.

G

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:55 pm

Thanks gar-dog. I'm pretty excited. I have been preparing the kids for the fact that we won't be bringing the puppy home with us when we go up on Saturday, but I think it will be hard for them to leave without one. Heck, I'm excited enough, I'm going to be disappointed. :lol:

I'll check out the Rick Smith video. Thanks!

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:06 pm

Congrats on your new puppy!! You must be excited.

Mav.......
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:41 am

We went last night to meet the breeder and parents of our new puppy, and were quite impressed. The mom and dad are even better looking in person than in the pictures. I couldn't get over how friendly the dad was (mom was more reserved, but then she did just give birth this past Wednesday ).

I asked the breeder about what he does in the case that a hereditary disease is detected within the 3 years of his guarantee. He offers replacement after the dog has been verified by 2 vets (his and ours). He also will take the dog back if we can't keep it for whatever reason and will try to sell it, and we will get proceeds from the sale. He has taken his dogs for training to Dave Walker Brittanys in New Plymouth, Idaho (http://www.davewalkerdogs.com). We are considering taking ours up there for training as well. He seems to take betterment of the breed quite seriously - he's into GOOD dogs and wants to keep it that way. They have 5 kids (by my count) in their family, and they were all very interactive with the dogs, so it seems there is good people socialization going on, too.

We'll be going back in 4 weeks or so to see how they've grown and see if we can make a pick by then. One of the females has been picked already, but only because the buyer wanted one that was mostly orange, and there was only one of those of the females.

So we're still feeling good about all this and feel like we've found a good dog from a good breeder. I'm very pleased and very excited. I appreciate all the feedback you all have given, and look forward to learning much, much more as our journey continues.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:10 am

Congratulations on your new family addition!!! The waiting now will be the hardest part but they do grow so fast!!

Be sure to take lots of pictures to share along the way! Can't wait to see your new pup on here. So...what about names....what are you thinking?

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:25 am

Thank you, Helen. The name we are leaning towards is Catherine - Cat for short. The kids sure get a kick out of the idea of having a dog named Cat. :lol:

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:29 am

Love it!!

That is a very dignified name. I have a friend whose Siberian was named Catherine. She was an absolute diva. :lol:

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:34 am

Catherine is a name I have always been partial to. When we were expecting our youngest daughter, we considered both Catherine and Olivia, but ultimately chose to name her Olivia. So now I guess we get to use that name still after all. :)

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:40 am

Our pick has been made by default as we were the last to choose, but it sounds like it has worked out perfectly. The breeder says that she is the smartest of the females, adventuristic, loves to lead the other puppies around, is the first to come when called to dinner, and says he had been telling his wife that she is the one he would pick if he were looking for another dog.

She is puppy F4: http://upperridge.com/_wsn/page5.html

We're going up again on Friday to see her. We are naming her Catherine ("Cat" for short). I can't wait!

Razor

Post by Razor » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:24 am

Nice to see you bought a Britt. I am the VP of the Wasacth Front Brittany Club. If you would like to come to some Brittany events let me know.

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:39 pm

Thanks, Razor. I'll keep that in mind.

We went to visit our new pup, Catherine, today. She's 5-1/2 weeks now and cute as a button. We're planning to bring her home the first week of January. Here are a couple of pics with my girls.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:28 pm

Very cute !!!

Mav.....
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:05 pm

Male dog has 64 champions and 18 hall of fame dogs on pedigree?Doesn't sound right. Must be going back to a lot of generations

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:11 pm

Every dog in his 5 generation pedigree would have o be a CH if I figured right.

Ezzy

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:25 am

There are some breeders who will do that....Some people up north advertise their puppies consistantly as "Double Bandee" bred...only problem is bandee is about 5+ generations back on both sides.

but no matter back to post and What a great picture cute kids with cute puppies

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:42 am

Your children are beautiful and look sooooo happy! And the pup is adorable! Bet you can't wait to get her home!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:58 am

They are great pics. Those are the type the girls will be showing their kids someday and will bring back many happy memories.

Ezzy

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:10 pm

Sweet pictures! My 4 year old girl is hugging on Ginger right now singing rudolph the red nose reindeer. Kids and puppies - a great combination!!!

I bet you cant wait!

Cheers,
Gary

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:54 pm

Thanks everyone. We're pretty excited. My 3-y/o was pretending to be a puppy the rest of the afternoon -- and not just any puppy, she was pretending to be our Catherine. :lol:

Razor

Post by Razor » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:08 pm

I would not consider a guy with two dogs as a breeder. He buys two dogs and throws them together. Atleast he OFA's the hips on the two he puts together. I would like to see the 18 hall of fame dogs in there also.

Razor

Post by Razor » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:11 pm

I love that he put OUT PERFORMING ALL OTHERS on his site. I would like to here his explaination of this. I have never seen him at any trial, HT, or show??

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:18 pm

He used to have the pedigree for both of the parents on the website, but it looks like it has been removed. I thought I had saved it to my computer, but I can't find it now. I do recall that there were a lot of titles associated with both sides, though, and I have had feedback from others who are more familiar with such things than I that their pedigrees looked impressive, so I'm not too concerned about that.

Additionally, since I'm personally not interested in showing or field trialing, I'm not terribly concerned with a strong pedigree of trialers anyway. Our puppy will primarily be a family pet and my upland game hunting companion. Her parents are also family pets, hunt regularly, and come from hunting lines as well. For my expectations, that is more important than how many trophies are sitting on the mantle. I make no explanation for the statement made on their website, other than I assume that most breeders have some sort of "motto" to get the attention of prospective buyers. I can only say that, for our purposes, we feel that we have found a great match for our family. :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:36 pm

I would like to here his explaination of this. I have never seen him at any trial, HT, or show??
But he has the best qualification when he takes them hunting. Thats the ultimate title, hunting dog. The rest are just fun and games.

Ezzy

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:07 am

We brought Catherine home today. She's so much fun! The Knucklehead (our Airedale) doesn't quite know what to think about the new arrival, but he's overall handling it pretty well. Here are some cute pictures of her with the Knucklehead.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:45 am

She sure is a cutie

hope you ahve many great years with her

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:37 am

What great pictures! She's just adorable!!

Your Airedale looks like he's handling sharing his house (and bed) wonderfully! They'll be fast friends in no time.
ImageImage

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:38 pm

She is just simply DARLING!! How beautiful !! and Your Knucklehead is being so good with her already. So lucky!!! My Kiki is SO Ugly compared to your Catherine :oops: ( but she is beautiful to me)

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:32 pm

very sweet looking puppy!!

Mav.....
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:38 pm

Thanks everyone. She surely is a lot of fun. I wish I had been able to get some video of Catherine and the Knucklehead playing this morning. He is so nervous around her. I'm sure it doesn't help that she is constantly nipping at his toes and beard. :lol: But this morning, they were scampering around the house, mostly with her lunging at him and him on the defensive. Then she would roll over onto her back and swipe at him with her paws. It was hilarious! This is the same Airedale who used to exert his dominance by shouldering my kids to the ground (we managed to break him of that, thank heavens), and now his world has been completely rocked by a tiny little puppy. :lol: :lol: :lol: He's pretty good natured about it, though, and we're making sure to give him lots of attention so he doesn't have any reason to be jealous in addition to intimidated. :lol:

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:45 pm

Just wait! I had all boys in the house (3 of them) and then brought home a tiny 11 week old female. Her breeder told me she was a monster, and by God, he wasn't lying.

She is the princess and the boys just LOVE her. It's a riot to watch. Her field weight is 29 pounds. My 7 yr old is oversized and around 48 pounds and she bosses him around something terrible! If it wasn't so funny I might feel bad for him.
ImageImage

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:24 pm

Congrats on such a cute pup. Those pictures are priceless!!

P.S. My wife was admiring your doggie pillow..... very nice....

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:35 pm

Congrats on your new addition, she's adorable!! Great pics too btw, love the one with your daughter holding her.

3Britts

Cathrine

Post by 3Britts » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:49 am

Just thought that I would check on Cat. Her litter mates are doing well.
Send me some pictures when you have time, I would love to see how much she is growing.

RM