In response to Wildrose and Don....:)

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:12 pm

WiskeyJaR wrote:I got to admit...sure like the looks of a DD :)

I afraid it might come down to size of me wallet as to which one I actually get :/
I wouldn't worry too much about initial cost of a pup. It may seem like a big deal to pay $900 for a pup instead of $300. But, you have to think long term. By the the time you buy dog food for 10-14 years, pay vet bills for 10-14 years, buy training equipment, etc. It really doesn't make a whole lot of difference what you paid at the beginning. Thats my perspective on the situation.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Hmmm - I really like my moonsters

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:46 pm

I trained four of them this winter - I just bought a puppy, and I have two older moonsters that were given to me.

I use them to compliment my llewellins when I get to hunt in TX and WA. I have recently started to duck hunt more - when I lived in WA - I used labs but finding the moonsters just suit my purposes here in TX.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:13 am

I run shorthairs and love them, but I have considered trying a springer or english cocker as well for all the stubble that I hunt. I think the flusher would have an advantage to the pointing dogs in stubble, thoughts?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:50 am

We have been training quite a few Springers, and Boykins. I think I would go with a longer legged Sp for that, some can be very short. They are neat dogs and a blast to hunt and train. I will never leave the pointing dogs, but appreciate all dogs for their place and doing what they are bred to do.
brenda

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:19 am

The Braque du Bourbonnais sounds like a good fit for you.

http://www.elkrunkennels.com/Litters.htm

These folks have some good information about them.

Debf

Post by Debf » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:02 am

Why don't you just go to some NAVHDA or AKC tests to see what breed of dog actually appeals to you? Or, better yet, try to attend a training day for the breed. For the pointing breeds you're considering, it may be best to go to a NAVHDA training day at a local chapter. Yes, it may be a bit of a drive but, you'd get to see a variety of breeds, people would be more relaxed & talkative then on a test day, maybe you could walk along with some people & see their dogs work? It could be more of a hands on experience with different breeds. I belong to NAVHDA, the VDD, and the local GWP club -- all these groups have training days where we welcome people to come out and see our dogs. Just search the web, find a contact person, and ask if they have any thing set up that you could attend.

For the record - I checked the NAVHDA site and at the spring 2007 Pacific Northwest Oregon chapter test they ran Pudelpointers, GWPs, GSPs, Small Munsterlanders, Griffons, Weims, and Spins. Just about every pointing breed you expressed some interest in.

Deb

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:26 am

Welp I have gotten me a Large Munsterlander. Great pup, easy to train, should say she trains me..har.
I am very happy with her, everything I wanted.

Debf

Post by Debf » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:30 am

A friend of mine breeds LM's and - although I'm a wirehair lover - I'd take her male Odin in a heart beat. He's just beautiful and an overall great dog.

Congrats on the pup!

Deb