Llewellin Setter Vs French Brittany: Which is best for me?

eebstein

Llewellin Setter Vs French Brittany: Which is best for me?

Post by eebstein » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:19 pm

Llewellin Setter Vs French Brittany: Which is the right dog for me?

I recently lost my beloved Spaniel and am looking for a new Hunting/fishing/hang out companion.

I have narrowed my list down to Llewellin Setters and French Brittany's. Both breeds appeal to me and look like great dogs.

I will be hunting mostly upland birds with the occasional Duck and Turkey hunts.

I am looking for a calm, obedient, easy to train, dog. I do not want a hyper dog. An angel in the house and demon in the field type dog.

BTW I like attached dogs that follow me everywhere and aren't always trying to run away when I'm at home or in public (not hunting).

A few questions I have:

Are Llewellin's versatile enough to Duck and Turkey hunt or do they only like upland birds?

How bad does each of them shed?

Do French Brittany's bark when strangers come to your home?

Is there any other information that might be useful for me?

I am also looking at a started Llewellin that is 18 months old. The trainer only hunts upland birds with him and is worried that taking him duck hunting might not be good.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Both are great dogs but for what you are wanting I think I would try the Brit. Probably a more clingy dog that is a little more versitle. If you are strictly hunting upland then the setter would be great also.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:24 pm

if you don't want a hyper dog then stay away from bird dogs period, thats what they are bred for, thats what they do. let me know if you find that jekyll/hyde breed we can make $$$.

how do you turkey hunt with a dog? as far as ducks, if you hunt big ducks think of the size of a FB, they would be a bit small for that.

setters are loving but more likely to range and leave you. brits will typically be more likely to hang out with you and not leave you.

my conclusion, you need more than 1 dog to get all the qualities you are looking for.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:43 pm

I am looking for a calm, obedient, easy to train, dog. I do not want a hyper dog. An angel in the house and demon in the field type dog.
That's why I own a GSP!

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Llewellin Setter Vs French Brittany: Which is best for m

Post by slistoe » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:55 pm

eebstein wrote: I am looking for a calm, obedient, easy to train, dog. I do not want a hyper dog. An angel in the house and demon in the field type dog.
Sounds like my dogs, problem is they are American bred Brittanys. Funny thing eh?
eebstein wrote:BTW I like attached dogs that follow me everywhere and aren't always trying to run away when I'm at home or in public (not hunting).
How does the dog know the difference of when you are hunting, and just out in public?
eebstein wrote:A few questions I have:

Are Llewellin's versatile enough to Duck and Turkey hunt or do they only like upland birds?
Don't know.
eebstein wrote:How bad does each of them shed?
I would suggest about the same. Llewellyn is slightly bigger therefore has more surface area to shed from.
eebstein wrote:Do French Brittany's bark when strangers come to your home?
Would depend on the temperament of the dog. My Brittanys all bark at strangers coming to the yard, but some are more vocal than others.
eebstein wrote:Is there any other information that might be useful for me?

I am also looking at a started Llewellin that is 18 months old. The trainer only hunts upland birds with him and is worried that taking him duck hunting might not be good.
Unless you wanted to use him for duck hunting. Then I think it would be a good thing.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:02 pm

I know nothing about French Brits but can tell you Llewellins are not geared up for duck hunting. Turkey hunting? :?

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:46 pm

Well I will definately say French Brittany, but then I am biased. Angel in the house , Demon in the Field , you must be looking at Mooneys dogs, as that is their motto.

Yes Vern will bark when someone comes in the yard if he is in the house or out back in his kennel, but he settles right back down when they come in the house. If he is outside in the front then he doesn't bark at anyone at all.

They tend to work closer than Setters, but like anything else, that is a generalization. Some range out, and some Setters stay in close. French Brittanys are definately attached to their owners. Both of mine want to be where I am, until it comes to hunting, than they are all about the business of hunting, but they hunt for me.

Sorry Chris, but Vern is a much cuter dog than Boomer :) See you in the Spring, maybe Chloe will get a chance to run beside your pup!

I can't answer much about Setters, but if you want to know about French Brittanys, ask anytime. I am always happy to talk about the dogs.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

Danro

Post by Danro » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:58 am

When you hunt turkey's with dogs, you use them to find a flock and scatter them up. Then the dog comes back to you and sometimes you can train it to lay in a camo bag. You call the turkey's back together and, WHAM!, thanksgiving's covered for the year.
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:21 pm

The first working Irish Setter I encountered was a show bred dog that the fellow used for duck hunting. That dog just absolutely loved to retrieve from the brackish marsh. I wouldn't write the Llewellyn off too easily.

Pleasant Ridge

Post by Pleasant Ridge » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:37 pm

I own and hunt Llewellins, they are fantastic dogs given the right opportunity. They are great upland dogs and wonderful companions.
I owned and know others who own FB's. wonderful upland dogs, however I don't know if duck hunting and turkey hunting is exactly suited for either breed.

If you would be interested in a spaniel, you may want to check out Boykin spaniels, they are bred for duck hunting, many people use these dogs as upland dogs and use them to turkey hunt as well..

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:03 pm

Sorry Chris, but Vern is a much cuter dog than Boomer See you in the Spring, maybe Chloe will get a chance to run beside your pup!
Mark never claimed he was "cute". especially today with a head full of porcupine quills!! 1/2 of hunting then in to the vet.

April 11-13, the walking trial. Have added an amateur puppy and an amateur derby.

eebstein

Post by eebstein » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:44 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:52 am

I think as a generalization the FB is better in the water. How ever if a dog has a strong drive for prey and retrieving you would be okay with either.

I have FB three. I duck hunt until the water is froze over and i can't get where I need. Retrieving ducks in temps down to 25 degrees to 30 has never been a problem. When the wind is strong and puts the wind chill down then the dogs don't go in the water. That is work for bigger dogs ie labs GWP Chessie etc.

Buster in my AVATAR and in photo album has retrieved ducks, pheasants, goose, grouse, wood cock, wild quail etc. The same dog competes in NSTRA, AKC field trial, AKC hunt test is MH.

My other two are young, Stella loves ducks and water, Cierra loves the water and has pretty good prey drive.

There range varies with the territory. In the grouse woods Stella is bigger running, 30 to 150 yards, Buster is 30 to 90 yards, In the fields they both cover 50 to 200 yards, these ranges are a quess obviously. The third is only 5months and shows alot of the same.

I have seen some of the L Setters very nice to look at when on point, one I saw was a good water dog. They are very nice grouse dogs nice size.

Either of these check with breeders go see the parents and have the breeder run them throught the paces. Or find someone who has a lot of expeirence with that kennel and talk with them.

Hard to beat a GSP as well. Novice proof.

Good luck
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick