Tracker Classic vs. Tracker Maxima ???? Anyone w/ experience

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Tracker Classic vs. Tracker Maxima ???? Anyone w/ experience

Post by AHGSP » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:50 pm

Anyone familiar with both the Classic and Maxima receivers? Does the Maxima have advantages/features that make it worth the extra $$$? I don't really have the need to track more than 2 dogs max; 1 in Trials, 2 Bird Hunting; so I don't need the feature of tracking a lot of dogs as is available with the Maxima. Curious if it has other features that make it more user friendly or otherwise.

Thanx Kindly in Advance,
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:55 pm

Bruce

I think that maxima seems like a darn nice reciever with its ability to track numerous frequencies. But the Classic will do the same but only on two fixed frequencies.

I purchased a remaned supra, very much like the classic and am very happy with it. I just couldn't justify the extra $$ for the maxima.

Maybe someone else can give a good arguement for the maxima.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:20 pm

original mngsp wrote:Bruce

I think that maxima seems like a darn nice reciever with its ability to track numerous frequencies. But the Classic will do the same but only on two fixed frequencies.

I purchased a remaned supra, very much like the classic and am very happy with it. I just couldn't justify the extra $$ for the maxima.

Maybe someone else can give a good arguement for the maxima.
Thanx Chris,

I'm hoping Doug will chip in, as I think he said his Father has the Classic and he has the Maxima. Like you, I really need to be able to justify the extra $$$ to myself.
Bruce Shaffer

Mark Twain

Almost Heaven GSP's

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:37 pm

Bruce

In the KISS theory. This last spring I was at a trial and a guy lost a derby or a puppy and had a maxima. I asked if he was getting any kind of signal, his response...... "I can't figure out how to program this thing"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:59 pm

I'm hoping Doug will chip in, as I think he said his Father has the Classic and he has the Maxima. Like you, I really need to be able to justify the extra $$$ to myself.
He did comment about that a couple of weeks ago. Not sure Doug is with us anymore since he was attacked last week. He sent me a PM saying he might just give up but I tried to talk him in to staying. Hope he decided to as it was interesting seeing Idaho as hepictured it. I also loved the fact that he was one of a few that posted hunting experiences which in my mind is what our dogs are really about instead of just the games we play.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:40 pm

Ok, what the he!! did I miss?

I certainly hope he will continue to participate.
Bruce Shaffer

Mark Twain

Almost Heaven GSP's

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:20 pm

The advantage the Maxima has over the classic receivers is that the collars over time will drift frequencies. If you have the Maxima you will not have to send the collars back in to be retuned you can reajust the Maxima to the collar. Also, if at a trial you can tune your tracker receiver into other lost dogs collar frequencies and help look for lost dogs. I saw this happen this fall and it helped to find a wayward brittany!!!
From reading there web site the Maxima has much more to offer as well, please read the below two links. If I had the money I would definitely purchase the Maxima. If not the Classic will get Trackers on your dogs and enable you to find them should they become lost.

Mav.......

http://www.trackerradio.com/hunting-tra ... ceiver.asp

http://www.trackerradio.com/hunting-tra ... ceiver.asp
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:43 am

For anyone in the market, check this out:
http://shop.trackerradio.com/index.asp? ... &ProdID=39

I talked to the gal just a bit ago and these units are actually NIB and about $300. less than as advertised elsewhere. They are discontinued and being replaced by the newer Maxima Complete, but will still be serviceable by Tracker for any problems/repairs.

Still can't make up my mind though....sighhhhhhh.

As for Doug, it would be really nice if the "offending party" could shoot him an email asking him to reconsider leaving. His contributions will be missed and a loss to all.
Bruce Shaffer

Mark Twain

Almost Heaven GSP's

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm

Bruce I bought one of those refurbs a couple months ago. I think the only advantage to the maxima is the capabilty to expand the amount of frequencies and stored frequencies. They do not receive any better than the classic. Also the Maxima has the digital read out rather than just lights.

The classic would do you just fine for what you need right now and if you need more expandability than upgrade to the Maxima later.

FWIW