Question on Pedigrees...

WiskeyJaR

Question on Pedigrees...

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:25 pm

(didnt want to 'hijack" gar-dog's post :) )

When typing in the names of grandparents and great-grandparents, etc. Why are some names highlighted and other not? Am I just not reading the peds right and missing something?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:27 pm

Dogs that are in Red have titles in a trialing or hunt test venue

edited to add or Show ring
Last edited by kninebirddog on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:27 pm

Highlighted dogs are champions...show champions (CH), field champions (FC), amateur field champions (AFC), National champions (NGDC, NAGDC, NFC or NAFC), and some people highlight hunt test (JH, SH, MH) and versatility titles also (these I'm not familiar with).
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Sylvia

Post by Sylvia » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:28 pm

2 were earlier already :wink:

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:30 pm

Hmmmm ... I'll have to re-do my pups pedigree and mark all the Champs in her line :P) Do I need to list each title?

Hmmm on further reading of my pedigree, I dont see "FC, AFC, or DC. I do see NAT, VJP,HZP scores....are they the same type thing, just different Organisations? <msp> Still trying to make sence of this thing....all I know is I got me a fun loving dog :)

Most of the line is straight from germany, 2 grandparents and 4 great-grandparents and all but 2 great-great-grandparents are from Germany. So maybe they have different titles? :) ......or maybe just not that grand of a bloodline? :?

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:03 pm

one more thing....on the pedigree web site...how do you get the names highlighted?

Never mind...figured it out :P

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:05 pm

There's a checkbox above each name in the pedigree that says "highlight". Just check it off and the name will show in red.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Debf

Post by Debf » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:58 am

Hmmm on further reading of my pedigree, I dont see "FC, AFC, or DC. I do see NAT, VJP,HZP scores....are they the same type thing, just different Organisations? <msp> Still trying to make sence of this thing....all I know is I got me a fun loving dog Smile

Most of the line is straight from germany, 2 grandparents and 4 great-grandparents and all but 2 great-great-grandparents are from Germany. So maybe they have different titles? Smile ......or maybe just not that grand of a bloodline? Confused
Most titles on your pedigree will be from "testing" the dog to a standard vs. "trailing" (a competition with a winner) to find champions. In Germany, in order for the dog to be bred it needs to complete & pass the VJP & HZP tests within a certain time frame, usually the VJP is done in the spring following the year it was born & the HZP is in the fall of that year. If you are interested in more information the testing let me know & I can send you to a few websites. BTW - the information I've given you so far is about 75% percent accurate due to omitting a number of "if's, and's, or but's" in the description however, I'm trying to be brief.

Lack of champions doesn't mean you don't have some great dogs in your pedigree. For example, if the dog listed as "W. V. C. Odin vom" is actually Vw VC Odin vom Bergwald he's terrific. Odin is the dog I mentioned in a different post - his owner took him to Germany for his HZP test and he had the highest score of the dogs that tested that day. The following year Etta ran him in the NAVHDA Invitational where he received his NAVHDA VC (the fist LM to get a VC I think) -- all of this was done by a very young age. He's the complete package - a lot of hunt and he is just stunningly handsome. I'm sure there are other's in the pedigree that are just as good. We are wirehair owners and only know the LM's we've trained with.

Although we have run our DD through the German testing I'm too new to the system to give very good info on what the scores mean or even accurate descriptions of the tests. If you're interested in learning more let me know & I can send you some website's to look at.

If you want to learn more about the dogs in your pedigree join the LM club if you haven't already. Although we never participated in many AKC events, belonging to the AKC affiliated GWP club was always a great source of information through the years. Their magazine had a wealth of information on kennels, dogs, health issues in the breed, etc. I'd suggest keeping any breed publications for the first couple of years if possible, those old issues are more interesting the second time around when you know the names and can see how some lines progressed.

Enjoy your pup!

Deb

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:45 am

I've always highlighted a dog's name if they have ANY title, prefix or suffix. This includes a simple CGC. The highlight pulls the reader's eyes to the dog so that they realize some of the letters in that name were added after registration. (There are plenty of kennels that name dogs with just two letters identifying the kennel, and this can look like a title).

Anyone looking at the pedigree closely enough and who has done any amount of research can tell what the titles mean - and they should. I don't think anyone should simply rely on a dog's name being highlighted as any indicator other than some title was earned.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Debf

Post by Debf » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:39 pm

Ayres makes a good point about putting all the title info on the pedigree.

Anyone looking at your dog's pedigree will want to see the VJP, HZP, and VGP scores of the dogs listed on the pedigree. Maybe any NAVHDA testing should be listed as well.