When is it to cold.

FFDGSP

When is it to cold.

Post by FFDGSP » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:37 pm

When is it to cold for a dog, I have a GSP, to be outside for a walk or training? Does it help to have a cover of some sort or does the problem lie in the breathing?

Thanks

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:51 pm

I train and hunt down 10 to 20 degrees, GSP and Britts. The water fowl hunting is where more concern lies and the wind chill factor. On truly cold days below 10 degrees if you can't breath well your dog can't. You do need to water the dogs frequently when hunting in cold. Most water sources are frozen, the air is usually dry, a dog or man can get dehydrated fairly easily.
I have not had any problems other than my own wimpyness.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

bfd_dan

Post by bfd_dan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:14 pm

Watch your dog he will tell you when he is cold. My GSP was just a pup last winter and there were days where it was 5 degrees (F) outside and we would go for a walk. I try to limit how much hard work he does when it is bitter cold. Today was the first "cold" day of the year. 18 degrees with 30-40 mph winds, I took him out and he ran like crazy for a good 45 minutes. Than he started to slow down and look a little chilled so we headed in.

If you are ever in doubt, head in!!! It isn't worth it. Or do some shorter sessions with plenty of time to warm up and rest in between.

The advice about the water is very good. Older dogs will learn to eat snow, young dogs need you to keep them hydrated. I learned that last winter. I ran my pup with another dog and the older dog ate snow and never became dehydrated, my dog who ran much less became very dehydrated in a short period of time.

Maybe others can offer more advice. This is comming from my experience. Your vet might have some "better" suggestions.

Dan

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:37 am

I don't think it's ever really too cold. Bob Wehle used to race his EP's in sled dog races and win. When I lived in Wyoming, my GSP'S lived outside and it would hit 60 below there.

We may not be comfortable in the cold, but it really doesn't bother a dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

GL

Post by GL » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:34 am

gonehuntin' wrote:I don't think it's ever really too cold. Bob Wehle used to race his EP's in sled dog races and win. When I lived in Wyoming, my GSP'S lived outside and it would hit 60 below there.

We may not be comfortable in the cold, but it really doesn't bother a dog.
I have to respectfully disagree here! Any warm blooded animal will be affected by extreme cold. There certainly are some breeds much better suited to handle such environments but the GSP is not one of them.

I used to take all of my GSPs ice fishing with me and they all enjoyed being out in the cold for short periods. They each also came inside the shanty shivering and to warm up for long periods before wanting to venture out again.

If a dog is a house dog then I would expect him to be quite cold when he is out keeping in mind you wear heavy over coats and they don't.
While running all should be fine for a while but when they slow down, get them in and give them water. Parkas and vest surely help a dog when it is bitter but I don't think these are necessary for a typical walk or run to take care of business or just run off some excess energy.

My Britt will have a nice parka for ice fishing this winter but I will guarantee she will spend just as much time inside the shanty as I do.

Gary

owen

Post by owen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:35 am

I routinely hunt my GSP's at 10 below zero with wind chills well below that. However, in the truck they have a well bedded kennel inside a closed topper. They are most susceptible to chilling after they are run. I've never had any problems. They do outperform my buddies pointers that seem to suffer from frozen pads/toes. I never worry about them while running, only before and after, and if it's a weekend hunt, over nite. In other words, while in the truck.

mit

Post by mit » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:19 pm

pucksmith,
I can't give you a temperature but when gsps get cold they will shiver. I wasn't sure I would be able to tell the difference between shivering & the shaking they do when they're excited but when Webster got cold once I could definetely tell the difference!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:59 pm

One Thing, I make sure my dogs are outside for the seasons. They are inside during the night but days are in the kennel out side. They get acclimated to the weather and tempratures. Acclimation makes a difference.

Rick

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:39 pm

All of ours used to be out in a kennel and had bedded boxes to sleep in. Had a boarded dog have puppies on night when it was 16 below zero. Had no isea she was bred as the owner had dropped her of and said she was a little fat. She sure didn't show much but imagine my surprise when I found 5 nice little pups in her barrel the next morning. She raised them all.

Now with just two dogs they are out during the day and come in the house for a while and then go to the basement where their crates are at night.

I see them lay in puddles that they have to break the ice on when we are out hunting. I agree that the too cold part hits me before the dogs normally.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GL

Post by GL » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:23 pm

Without getting into some big, long and drawn out debate about whats right and wrong lets just say we all live with our dogs the way we choose.

There are pros and cons to every way and I am not here discuss the way we each live or allow our dogs to live with us.

My dog lives with us! When I'm in she is in and when I'm out she is out.

When I go out in the cold it is perfectly understandable that my dog who lives at 70 degrees 24/7 might get a chill--- Just like me.
Dogs that are conditioned differently might be better able to handle a little cold. There is some merit in the claims that a dog that lives in fresh air is probably a better hunter or would have a better nose. Fortunately, I don't depend on my dog for dinner and couldn't care less if she misses a scent.

Most of us don't care how others do it and I throw no stones. Once a dog learns how to live by our rules then the crate is stored away. They usually sleep as close to the wood stove as they can stand or any where else they feel like.

What is too cold for my dog might be just perfect for yours. All depends on the way each individual dog lives.

I'm pretty sure our ancestors where better equipped to handle the cold then we are today. If your dog lives inside with you then expect that your dog will get cold shortly after you do unless he is running like you're not.
Common sense is a valuable tool when dealing with our dogs.

Gary

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:58 pm

GL,
I don't think any one is putting down the way one keeps their dogs or where they live. This is about tempratures a dog can handle. Hope I did not sound like I was being critical. I just was stating what I do with my dogs. Also that I think it makes it easier for the dogs to adapt to the weather better. For one I have 5. For two they are all in the house when I am. How ever I work For three I take a dog or two to work a couple times a week. I can do that because i can.

I don't care where a dog lives as long as it is taken good care of and gets the attention and work it deserves.

Ezzy, funny you mention the puddle, I have two that do that as well. It has been near 20 for the past few days, brought the dogs up on the mountain two of the britts layed in the stream, drinking. Sent a chill up my back.

Rick

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:13 pm

Ruffshooter,

Dogs and other animals as well just take temperature different than we do. Any dog with a decent haircoat willhave an "insulated jacket" on as the air trapped in the coat will keep them warm for a long time if they are dry. Same in the summer, which in my experience is when the dogs really suffer, the coat will protect them for a period of time before the heat gets through to them.

GL, I too was concerned about dogs coming from inside and going out to hunt on cold days but I have not seen a problem yet. As long as they are hunting and running they seem comfortable when it gets below 20 or so. But most of my dogs will lay in the water when they find it till it gets somewhere near that 20 degree mark and then they will pick up ice and chew it or just play in the snow. When you stop is when you want to get them in where they can lay or snuggle up in the straw or chips.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GL

Post by GL » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:13 pm

I think I always felt it was a matter of conditioning. Thats not saying I'm correct, just what I felt.

A dog that lives outside, either in the wild or an unheated kennel I think grows a heavier coat depending on the conditions.
One that lives in and out, as is the case with many here, inside after work and all night and out in the kennel durring the day might grow a less dense coat then the wild dogs.

I am not at all sure if this is how it works. I just know when I moved from NY to Florida after I retired, I could not adjust to the heat and moved right back. I never liked it here too much when the temp went above 90 so Florida was a rather poor decision on my behalf. Likewise, someone who is comfortable in Florida is usually pretty miserable here in NY when it gets cold.

I have to assume if my dog enjoys baking her brains snuggled up in front of the wood stove that she probably isn't all that happy freezing her toes off out on a frozen lake unless I take some precautions.

How true it is that when they are working, no matter what the temp, they have more trouble keeping cool. When they stop is when I would worry and particularly if the dog is doing cold water retreives in very cold conditions.

Great discussion though, thanks

Gary

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:09 am

"Inside" dogs get cold fast. See it when I hunt with some guys that keep their dogs inside. Mine grow a lot more fur, we go out when it is very cold, seen -40 a couple times, we hunted, birds sat tite. Dogs ride in back of the truck in a kennel that is covered. Stay outside in a large kennel, dog boxes full of straw. Hunt all day in very cold weather, duck hunt in icey water, all are GSP at my house. :) Had a in door dog once, wont do it again, we go out when it is cold, we live on a farm tho so we dont have the luxury of staying in when weather is bad :) steers need food too :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:15 pm

I hunted Friday afternoon and Saturday with my lab in temps that didn't break 15 degrees F. Saturday we were in a snow storm. My lab was having a ball. She never slowed down and certainly didn't want to quit.

However later that day when I was shoveling my driveway she sat there looking at me with the her annoyed expression. She either wanted to hunt or go inside.

I've also hunted with a GWP and brittany in 0 degrees F and all three dogs had no problem with the cold. Snow in the paws was an issue for the pointing dogs, but a little maintenance and they were fine.