Pup's First Snow

gar-dog

Pup's First Snow

Post by gar-dog » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:37 am

Well it was 23 degrees this morning and we got about 2 inches of snow. I took the pup out for a walk and the snow didn't even phase her - barely any curiosity even. We went to some woods down at the end of the street and she hopped around and went right into a creek that runs through there and she walked around in the water (just about 4 inches deep). One tough pup! I froze may tail off!

GL

Post by GL » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:06 pm

Same here but with 6 inches and Goldy is a bit older.

She is having a blast and being a complete PITA about wanting to be out playing.

One thing I do notice that I never saw with my GSPs.

When she came in the house her feet and particularly in between her webbed toes had frozen ice balls firmly attached and she laid there licking and chewing until it was gone.

I wonder if this become a problem for Britts while hunting or just being active outdoors in the winter?

She does love snow and I am sure she will really love a few feet of it.

Gary

GL

Post by GL » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:52 pm

Does she look like she's having fun?

Gary

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:10 pm

Great pics! I missed Chloe's first snow :cry: When I broke my arm 2 months ago, she went to the trainer at 6 months old and hasn't been home since.

Here was Tessa's first snow:

And Blaze's first snow:

ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:36 pm

GL and Karen - great pics!!

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:56 pm

I love going out in the first snow with a new pup or even my older dogs. It seems to bring the puppy out of them as well.
I can't believe how fast your pup is growing GL !!

Mav....
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

GL

Post by GL » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:22 pm

Thanks Mavrick. I'm kind of sorry she is growing so fast too.

She is really growing no faster then any other, its just that time is flying past us all. I can't believe she is almost 7 months old and it seems like just yesterday when I got her.

Dogs seem to really enjoy the first snow every year!

If you had seen my cat this morning when he looked out, its quite a different story! :cry: He went back to bed and has been miserable all day long.

Its almost 7:30 and Goldy is finally down for the count. This is the first break we have had all day long but even fast asleep and her feet are going a mile a minute in her dreams.

Gary

dirtdiver

Post by dirtdiver » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:51 am

GL wrote: I wonder if this become a problem for Britts while hunting or just being active outdoors in the winter?
Never had a problem with this hunting any of my britts. Just as you say, when they are playing around the house.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:28 am

I have had the balls of ice and snow build up when the snow is fairly wet and sticks to everything. The dogs will normally stop and break them up with their teeth. When I groom or trim my dogs I always take scissors and trim the hair out between their toes. It helps with the snow and it makes the foot look better also. Lay the scissors flat with the bottom of the foot and trim any hair protruding and then go to the top of the foot and trim between the toes and the back of the pasterns to the first joint. It kust cleans them up,looks neater, and they catch less mud and snow before coming back in the house. Makes everyone happier. :lol:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GL

Post by GL » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:46 am

Thanks Ezzy, I am growing rather fond of all the feathers and she gets prettier by the day.
I think some manicuring might be a good idea.

Gary