Dog Vest

gspgunner

Dog Vest

Post by gspgunner » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:00 am

I`m wondering if anyone had suggestions as to what type or brand of vest you use in the field. I`m looking for one with a hydration pack in it for the dog.

FFDGSP

vest

Post by FFDGSP » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:35 am

I'm looking at the Camelbak upland vest. Seems that anything with a hydration pack is more difficult to put birds in. But this one looks the best so far.

tfbirddog2

vest

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:09 pm

I would look into "Buck's Bags" for their Chuckar vest, with the hydration pack in still easy to put birds in.[/b]
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

wolv1955

Post by wolv1955 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:48 am

Can I ask a question?? Why would you consider a vest? Don't mean to hijack this thread. Warmth for the dog? to see your dogs presense in the field?? Hydration, help me on this one.

Thanks Bill

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:24 am

There are many reasons to use a vest on the dog in the field. With having GSP's I use them for

1. Warmth on the REALLY cold days or for duck hunting in late fall
2. As a body protector from the sharp switch grass, cockle burs, sticks etc. that they encounter. Even had a stick that would have probably puntured my dogs skin hit a neoprene vest last year and not so much as a rip in the vest.
3. I have an orange one for the field. I use this during deer hunting season a lot so the hunters can see my dog as well as me
4. My duck vests have floatation devises built into them so if for some reason my dog gets tired etc. out in the water they can stay up until I can get to them.

The list could go on but their are some for why I use vests. I have never heard of a vest for the field that has a hydration pack on it. I have herd of them for hicking purpouses.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:48 am

I have never seen a dog vest with a hydration bladder in it. I'd think they'd rip the bladder to shreds.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

tfbirddog2

dog vest

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:59 am

Um let me repost.Now for my gsps I use the Cabelas neoprene blaze orange vest especially when cold or lots of snow on the ground.It helps my customers see them you can hear them in tall brush and probably helped one of them a few weeks ago when she fell through the ice.I have seen the packer vest that do hold water.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

gspgunner

vest

Post by gspgunner » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:09 am

I apoligize for not being clear on the type of vest. I was inquiring about a bird vest that had pocket for transmitters, etc.... But thanks for the suggestions on dog vests

tfbirddog2

vest

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:32 pm

Then I have to go woth my first post, or Pella's full vest I dont know about the Bird lite strap vest, but the pocket has clips for your controlers to clip to.It also has places to hold water bottles.

gspgunner

Post by gspgunner » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:17 pm

the Bird lite strap vest is Cabela`s right?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-
Thomas Jefferson

wolv1955

Post by wolv1955 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:24 am

Does any of our members //sponsors sell vests? I will try one as I keep my GSP indoors and the weather is turning cold in kentucky.

Thanks For the above info fellers,
Bill

tfbirddog2

vests

Post by tfbirddog2 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:51 am

I dont think so.Pella makes a "bird n Lite" vest and a "Bird n Lite" strap vest too.I have a Mothers starp vest too, it has hydration.Forcarring my controller on all my vest I use a D-ring clip so it goes vest to vest.A whistle around my neck is all I need hanging there.