lost female in season

mm

lost female in season

Post by mm » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:51 pm

I lost my female dog for about an hour tonight. She somhow got out of my fenced yard and I am not sure she even got out. She has never gotten out ever. Tonight I could not find her anyplace and it is a small yard 100 by 100 feet. I went out looking all over for her and when I get home she is in the yard.

Well the thing is she is suppose to come into season any day there is no sign of any blood yet. Could it be she got out and got breed or is that not possible. This is the first time this happened I am sick I live on the water and when I could not find her thought maybe she drown. I was so relieved to find her then I start wondering why she did not come when I called she always comes and now I am worried she was with a male.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:20 pm

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:27 pm

If she is not in season, you have never seen signs, then you are probably alright. You are expecting her to come in any day then this is a good warning. Fenced yard is nice so you do not have to have her on a leash, but I would never trust a fenced yard without me standing there watching her.I would bet that your fence is not 6 ft. high. I have seen dogs go over a 6 ft. fence.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:09 pm

If she's not yet shown any signs of swelling or bleeding I would not be concerned that she's bred.

I would suggest though that she needs supervision in the future if she got out and you can't figure out how. Most likely she went right over your fence.

Like the above poster said I've seen lots of dogs go over a six foot fence. I've even seen a lot of dogs go over and eight or ten foot fence.

When she comes into heat her biological drive will by far exceed her normal desires to stay at home. More importantly any intact male that smells her (and trust me the scent of heat carries far, far farther than you would think on a nice breeze) is going to be heck bent to get to her. They will climb, they will dig under, they will pull planks off of your fence to get to her.

When she does come into heat if you don't have a FULLY enclosed kennel (including roof) you need to probably board her for a couple of weeks. Otherwise it's going to be a real pain. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

mm

Post by mm » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:46 am

Thanks
I have a six foot fence all around the yard and a invisible fence also except along the water. After I got over my panic of not knowing what happened I sent her out in the yard and I followed. We have been having some real low tides and it seems there is a spot she found that she can sneak around at low tide I watched her do it. I will fix it and I do have a covered kennel. She is a year and a half and been through two cycles so far and I cant time them right. The first was January of 07 the next was August of 07 so I am expecting it to happen any time but I am not sure when it will be. I am watching for the signs but I always worry when this time gets close. Thanks for the help to all.

BarkRidge

Post by BarkRidge » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:21 am

I had a female climb a fence and took off for a week while in season. I sent a report to the local shelter. They finally picked her up.

But when i got her back she was no longer in-season or pregnant. That goodness for leash laws. :D

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:02 am

one of my male GSPs would climb out of and 8' high chain link kennel......i have had to build a "custom" kennel that looks like a prison because he was going to get hurt trying all his escape methods. i wouldn't trust just a fenced back yard either.