SKUNK!!!

Vizsla Vince

SKUNK!!!

Post by Vizsla Vince » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:32 pm

Well, Zoomie did it! He met his first skunk last night! We were out on a walk through the neighborhood last nujght, it was very mild, about 36 degrees. I was letting zoomie run loose, as is my custom, & he was about 100 feet out. We both spotted a black cat in the distance,. & I let zoomie run out to investigate... As Zoomie got closer, I remember thinking "that cat is pretty bold, its not even running... I wonder if... (sniff sniff)OH NO!"
Sure enough, Zoomie got a blast in the face. Fortunately, he had the good sense (or luck) to close his eyes. I think the skunk just gave him a warning because the dog was not completely covered by the stuff.
So, home we go, & I leave him outside in the yard while I run to the store for tomato juice. I lead him upstairs, & we both get in the shower & get him "juiced". His face still reeks, but its dying down.
Hopefully, Zoomie has LEARNED something from this experience!!

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:38 pm

Here's something that will work much better than your tomato juice.

1 *quart* of hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup of baking soda
2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid (I use Dawn)

Mix all the ingredients well in a pale and work into the dogs coat very well. Be careful not to get any into the eyes. Work as much as you can into the coat and face and let sit 10 minutes then rinse very well. One note though, DO NOT pre-mix and store. This needs to be mixed just prior to application. Depending on how bad it is you may have to repeat. That will remove about 95% of the smell once he dries. You will still smell it somewhat if the dog gets wet, but that will eventually dissipate.

Good luck... :lol:
Last edited by Chaingang on Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Addict

Post by Addict » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Chaingang wrote:Here's something that will work much better than your tomato juice.

1 *quart* of hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup of baking soda
2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid (I use Dawn)

Mix all the ingredients well in a pale and work into the dogs coat very well. Be careful not to get any into the eyes. Work as much as you can into the coat and face and let sit 10 minutes then rinse very well. One note though, DO NOT pre-mix and store. This needs to be mixed just prior to application. Depending on how bad it is you may have to repeat. That will remove about 95% of the smell. You will still smell it somewhat if the dog gets wet, but that will eventually dissipate.

Good luck... :lol:
I have used this several times. It has best the best working formula that I've tried.

Addict

Idaho Outlaw

Post by Idaho Outlaw » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:47 pm

I second the recipe given.

Sorry, your dog got sprayed, I feel for ya.

Addict

Re: SKUNK!!!

Post by Addict » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:53 pm

Vizsla Vince wrote: Hopefully, Zoomie has LEARNED something from this experience!!
My dogs learned that they like skunks. :?

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:55 pm

My older shorthair turned into a skunk killer last year. 3 notches on his belt... :x And of course thought he was doing me a favor by retrieving them all back to me. :o

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:20 pm

The problem with that formula is that is doesn't keep and has to be mixed on the spot. There's a commercial product on the market called "Skunk Off" that is unbelievable. It's about $9.00 a bottle. We descented a large Golden Retriever with half a bottle this year. It doesn't need to be rinsed or toweled off, there is no odor left even in a warm house, and there is no odor on the dog OR YOUR HANDS when you are dont. For those who haven't tried it, it's the most miraculous product I've ever seen.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

cjs180

Post by cjs180 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:44 pm

GH, where can you purchase that? I have used the peroxide method above, but if there was something better, I would like to try it.

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:18 pm

GH please let us know I would like to get some too. We have a Suburban and the dogs ride inside in a kennel. That is something to have in glove compartment for just in case.........scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

Blade

Post by Blade » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:35 pm

Here is one site that you can get it from.

www.healthypets.com/skunbythorco.html

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:21 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:The problem with that formula is that is doesn't keep and has to be mixed on the spot. There's a commercial product on the market called "Skunk Off" that is unbelievable. It's about $9.00 a bottle. We descented a large Golden Retriever with half a bottle this year. It doesn't need to be rinsed or toweled off, there is no odor left even in a warm house, and there is no odor on the dog OR YOUR HANDS when you are dont. For those who haven't tried it, it's the most miraculous product I've ever seen.
I will also second (third??) the skunk-off, one of the best things I've used in 29 yrs of grooming, & believe me, once spring rolls around I get my share of skunked dogs at my shop :? ! I also use the baking soda mix to bathe with first though. You can get skunk-off through Pet Edge. I always carry a bottle of skunk-off in my van for my own dogs 'cause you just never know!!!

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:18 am

I had to use the skunk off three times in the last two years, it is the only way to go for me. I always have a few bottle in the house now.

Mav......
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:18 am

gonehuntin' wrote:The problem with that formula is that is doesn't keep and has to be mixed on the spot. There's a commercial product on the market called "Skunk Off" that is unbelievable. It's about $9.00 a bottle. We descented a large Golden Retriever with half a bottle this year. It doesn't need to be rinsed or toweled off, there is no odor left even in a warm house, and there is no odor on the dog OR YOUR HANDS when you are dont. For those who haven't tried it, it's the most miraculous product I've ever seen.
Ive used this before but the only problem is then they smell like a pretty skunk.The other recipe works very good.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:46 am

griffgirl wrote: Ive used this before but the only problem is then they smell like a pretty skunk.The other recipe works very good.
There is absolutely not the slightest odor left on the dog when skunk off is used. None on your hands either and you don't have to wear gloves when using it. You must not have used enough or not rubbed it in.

I buy mine here in NE WI. at Sportsman's Wearhouse. It is $8.99 for a quart of it.

cjs180; It was Gary's golden Trevor that got it. You should have heard the swearing. The skunk was in a shallow hole in the marsh and the bonehead actually tried to dig it out!!! Gary was hot. When we got back to the warm house that night, there wasn't a trace of odor on Gary or the dog. Amazing. Course, with Gary's nautral aroma, it would have been hard to tell anyhow! :lol:

cjs180

Post by cjs180 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:10 am

GH that is classic!

What stuff do you guys buy from that healthy pets website. I see 3 different kinds there. Is it the "Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover (32oz)"?

Thanks.

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:46 am

cjs180 wrote:GH that is classic!

What stuff do you guys buy from that healthy pets website. I see 3 different kinds there. Is it the "Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover (32oz)"?

Thanks.
No, the NM skunk odor remover is OK at best....It's the Skunk-Off by Thornell. 32oz bottle is like $35, 3.75oz bottle $6.99. It goes long way.

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:59 pm

I picked up that Natures Miracle stuff @ Petco, it is OK at best. :cry:
I've applied it several times to Zoomie's head & he still stinks. Plus, it rubs off on everything until it dries, so I have to kennel him immediately or he rubs his face on all the furniture!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:22 pm

I went out to the truck and got the rest of the bottle. It's name is PETASTIC SKUNK ODOR ELIMINATOR. It is made by Venus Pet Products and comes with a Money Back Guarantee. I can personally guarantee that this one works.