Brittany Update - 5 months - pics

gar-dog

Brittany Update - 5 months - pics

Post by gar-dog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:39 pm

Well Ginger is 5 months old today so I took a couple of pics. She is very active, athletic, and a lot of fun. She is a great companion and will follow you everywhere. She sticks around in the yard and runs well with a check cord.

She is crate trained very well. The word "kennel" sends her immediately in and she is very comfortable there. She is great in the car, unless it is right after eating - then "uh oh..."

She is reasonably well-behaved and responds to "no" "down" and "fetch." She will go fetch anything thrown from a water bottle, frisbee, ball, or toy. She retrieves most of the time until she has "had enough" and I leave it alone. I have not had her on game birds yet - I am waiting for her trainer to do that in a couple of months. Every month I have brought out a pheasant wing for 1-2 minutes only, and just this last time after a few sniffs she started "locking up" and just staring at it. She definitely has her nose in everything when taken afield, but this isn't really in areas with birds.... more suburban acreages and reservations.

Notice how short her hair is in the pics.

Pedigree: http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=904

Cheers:
Gary

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:45 pm

Hmm enjoy the compliant puppy stage while you can.... :wink:

soon she will start to test her parameters a bit and it will be like some one swapped you pups

My friend called this point the angelic age but this will pass
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:50 pm

Sounds like she's doing great, Gary! She sure is a pretty little girl! I didn't realize she was so close in age to Catherine. Catherine will be 3 months on Thursday.
LORI
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=966

"It is not a mark of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti

fuess

puppy progress

Post by fuess » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:56 pm

Gardog,

I guess we got our pups about the same time. Congrats. Shooting at all. Have you had the pup on live birds yet?? Since we could not get to LvSC or MM maybe we can get hte pups together for a late seaon training session/hunt??

Fuess

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Thanks for the comments. It's a lot of fun.

Fuess:
I shot M&M this past weekend. One of my sons has a hockey tournament in Scranton for three days this coming weekend and I will shoot up there and maybe Pocono Manor. (FYI, my 11 year-old runt outshot me at M&M - he ran the first three stations and then had the occassional miss - I was both extremely poud and annoyed) So still shooting every chance I get, which unfortunately is not all that often.
Gary

fuess

Post by fuess » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:18 pm

Great targets at MM. Was there the week before and shot the event a few weeks back. Not shooting as much there, staying local as I have ebben busy traing the pup. Hope your progresss is going well. Taking some friends next week for a hunt over the new fella. 3rd time out. Should be great next year.

Fuess

GL

Post by GL » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:20 am

Hi Gary, She is gorgeous and glad to hear she is comming along well.

Goldy is now 9 Months, 30 pounds and doing great.

One thing I am noticing and I'm not sure this is the standard but she is growing lots of the feathers in the past month or so and I suspect the same will happen with Ginger. I guess it takes a while for their coats to fully develope.

I did buy a used Tri Tronics training collar and after proper intro to the workings of it I have to applaude the merrits of the device. The hand held transmitter has three buttons, Buzz with no shock, Momentary shock and Continuous shock. It also has selectable shock strengths.

Goldy learned very quickly to respond perfectly to the buzz with no shock and I think in all the time she has had it on I shocked her only 4 or 5 times total and only when she went off the property and on to the road or went deaf on me when she saw deer and took off after them.

It is a great tool and worth every penny as far as I am concerned and now when I am working in the open garage or out in the yard she will go only about 10 feet from the raod and no further. When she sees the deer she comes and gets me but will not give chase at all and she does not bark at them. I have her trained to come when I hit the buzz button and when we go ice fishing I allow her to raom free and quite far and all I have to do is hit the buzz and she makes a b-line back to me. My wife is amazed and watches her from the back door out in the yard while I am in the front yard and out of sight. I hit the buzz and Goldy immediately stops playing and does a complete search until she finds me.

My UPS driver even went out and bought one for his dog after seeing the difference in Goldy after a few short weeks. As soon as he pulls in the drive way she comes directly to me and waits and I don't have to buzz her at all.

I can't wait for the frost to be gone so I can install the invisible fence and allow here free run in the yard.

Gary