Gun Dog Forums

3 Joes

Gun Dog Forums

Post by 3 Joes » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:24 pm

I was wondering how many of the guys on here visit other forums and what forums they are. I love all the info i get on here I was just curios what else is out there. I know of a couple of forums but i thought you guys might have a couple of favorites.

Idaho Outlaw

Post by Idaho Outlaw » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:50 pm

I'm also a member on UplandBirdDog, but don't visit it very often, it has become a pretty slow forum. Earlier this week I came across VersatileDogs Forum while doing some Google searches. I haven't signed up yet, but plan on joining. And today a Breeder let me know about UtahBirdDogs, but I haven't taken the opportunity to check it out yet.

birddogdoc

Post by birddogdoc » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:53 pm

Utahbirddogs.com has some dang cool people on there!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:01 pm

The guys that started the Utah forum were and still are members here I believe.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:47 pm

I belong to Upland Journal and our KNINE BIRD DOG has a forum.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:16 pm

pdj
utahbirddog
versatile
shootingsportsman-nothing but fights
knine is great to.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:38 pm

I'm on several. GDF and PDJ are my favorites.
big steve

edondero

Post by edondero » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:39 pm

www.shorthairs.net

but mostly we're just a bunch of dog moms sharing goofy pics of our dogs.

bh99

Post by bh99 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:11 pm

GDF is the main forum right now. I also frequent michigan-sportsman.com and I just found shorthairs.net

edondero

Post by edondero » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:30 pm

bh, let's see more pics of the dog in your avatar. good looking from here.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:32 pm

GDF is one of two of my main forums. michigan-sportsman.com is the other.

I also frequent:

gundogchat.com
uplandjournal.com
Cover Dog trial message board
bird dogs and doubles
Rick Smith forums
Pointing Dog Journal forums

use to go to Shooting Sprotsman but there's too much BS on there. It got old quick.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

Bowhunter20

Post by Bowhunter20 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:57 pm

Utahbirddog.com

wingshooter.netforums.us My favorite of the three

duckhuntingchat.com

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:15 pm

Ryan Baumann wrote: shootingsportsman-nothing but fights
only when you show up.

SS has some of the most articulate and knowledgeable folks around - and some hard headed disturbers that have been banned from all other boards.

yakky'sgriff

Post by yakky'sgriff » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:04 am

refuge forums (duck hunting) has a gun dog forum..

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:48 am

UplandJournal.com
Pheasantcountry.com - picks up during the hunting season
NoDak Outdoors - Used to be very good site, lately it has been falling IMO.
Versatiledogs.com
The "refuge"
Shotgunworld.com - they have a sporting dog forum as well as all the shotgun stuff.
Used to be on Pointing dog journal, but now it seems you have to subscribe to the magazine to have access to the forum.

But GDF is the best I've been on. :D

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:05 am

I'm on two British forums - gundog and bird dog forums and also workinghprs.myfastforum.org

The first of these contains mainly retriever and spaniel work. The second is for the hunt - point- retrieve breeds. I like both of them but like to broaden my horizons and learn more about new (to me) training methods so I joined this forum.

Bill T.

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:22 am

GSF (fairly newly found)
PDJ
huntohio
versatiledogs.com (my computer has trouble with their site don't get there much)
K9's chat and BB

Thats pretty much it for bird doggin. Found PDJ first so it is my home, but this one is a close second!
Jeremy

"Going to the woods is going home." -John Muir

prairiefire

Post by prairiefire » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:41 am

edondero wrote:www.shorthairs.net

It wasn't always that way. The site used to be frequented by a number of GDF members--really knowledgeable breeders, trainers, trialers (some are still there, so please take no offense if you are one of them! :D). But since the new board was launched, many seemed to disappear and the content changed dramatically.

What happened?

There are a lot of very nice people on shorthairs.net and I enjoy it, but if I have a serious training or health-related question, I come here.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:20 am

prairiefire wrote:
edondero wrote:www.shorthairs.net

It wasn't always that way. The site used to be frequented by a number of GDF members--really knowledgeable breeders, trainers, trialers (some are still there, so please take no offense if you are one of them! :D). But since the new board was launched, many seemed to disappear and the content changed dramatically.

What happened?

There are a lot of very nice people on shorthairs.net and I enjoy it, but if I have a serious training or health-related question, I come here.

How true, how true.
Phyllis McNall and I were just lamenting on this last week. John and Charlie pop in from time to time, Jean Holzer has been tied up between parenthood and work and unable to participate much, Jim Smith passed away as did Pat Rostig (God rest their Shorthair loving souls), no idea whether Chandler participates in any boards at all anymore and many others have made GDF their "Home Board" and just don't go there too much anymore. Many, many more just don't seem to participate anywhere anymore, though I know they are still active in the breed, and I would guess a lot of that has to do with having someone with a year or two of experience tell you how wrong you are and how much they know; when you have 10, 20, 30 years or more of experience....
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:39 am

For all the Canadians out there

www.canadianhuntingdogs.com

I haven't been to PDJ since they said you must buy their magazine to belong. I have the first 10 years of PDJ and I got tired of reading the same article for the fifth time. It seems there is nothing new to say about pointing dogs after 2 years of articles.

edondero

Post by edondero » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:15 pm

i noticed it recently as well, prairiefire. i used to ask questions about raising my pup in general over there or share stories to see if something was common within the breed. but for serious questions i come here, more important now that we are getting into what the dogs are breed for. interesting though, folks on that board work their dogs, just other ways. sledding, skijoring, pulling, dock jumping, showing. its where you can pics of Lacey riding with her head out the sunroof or from the time she ran into a freshly painted wall. but i would never admit to such over here, yall are serious! i do actually enjoy the politics on this board, learning about the history and arguments within.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:02 pm

I have 2 or 3 thousand posts on shotgunworld.com They have a sporting dogs section which is decent. I recognize a few that post in there and here as well. I consider them my shotgun chums, but post here for real advice on dogs.

When I see the need, I occassionally refer posters there here, and here there. But I always do that by a PM, because I think it is bad form to publicly redirect people on one forum to other forums.