Ames events?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Ames events?

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:41 pm

ultracarry wrote:I didn't say you said they were wild birds but the quote is for those who are saying they are like wild birds, they aren't. They are prereleased.

I'm not bitter but its interesting how trials have over a thousand birds released prior to their start and this has a fat 0, yet people point out how many birds per hour the pointers had (right).... So the AKC wants to run a stake on famed and sacred ground for pointer folks? Why?

In my opinion the AKC has their head stuck in the sand when they put the trial on. They will not get the same product as the pointers which the grounds are originally ment for that's all. Can't have the same product when you are using old ingredients, shortened time to finish the product, etc. There is no reason for the AKC to move in on someone else's grounds. The only plus for the AKC is they can say they held a trial there... Wow they gained absolutely nothing besides the fact that they can draw a lot of people in for the event.
Boy, it sounds like a lot of complaining and all from someone not even involved.
I didn't say you said they were wild birds but the quote is for those who are saying they are like wild birds, they aren't.

I don't have a clue what you hunt in California but it must be different that what I have seen and experienced here in our part of the country. The Dakota's pre-released birds for years and people up there still do but the thing that was funny no one knew it. And the stories that came out of there were and still are great about the quantity and quality of the birds and the hunting experience. I do not like planted birds for sporting activity but I also know when birds are raised right and have been in the fields for a week or more you are not going to tell any difference or be able to tell how "wild" they really are. They all work well in the field for the dogs to find. And how many birds were on the grounds for another trial should not be a concern for the people participating in the trial. Happily it seems it isn't for those that are there having fun.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:52 pm

Wild birds in California are not pen raised. They are hatched in the wild and its up to natural selection. I hunt chukar and valley quail. The DFG gave some of our birds away to certain states in trade for other species. There are DFG released birds if you want to hunt them. They say what fields they are in... I don't. If you hunt wild birds out here more than once or twice a week they will move out of the area and usually won't come back for weeks or months.

dan v

Post by dan v » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:39 pm

fuzznut wrote:Ultra, you do sound a tad bitter or confused or something. What do we gain? The opportunity to run on some legendary grounds, isn't that enough? Seems to me, there is no making some folks happy no matter what AKC does.

And Wyndancer, the judges have been handing trackers to handlers whose dogs have been gone too long all week long. Just in case I missed something, I asked some of the powers to be.... bull is what I was told. Just because there already 12 dogs of the day, doesn't mean they will make the second series. I wish it were that way since I have a dog that made dog of the day, but I'm not countin' any chickens yet.

It ain't over till it's over.... lots of dogs to run yet.
Fuzz
Hey my intel could be wrong....but I can tell you this. Last year at Mile Post 9, about 1/2 way through, they judges gave you 30 minutes for you to make them a believer, if not back to camp. It was an out/back course and I had to purposely ride to the back...I heard that the valleys were made of chocolate and unicorns ran. We never made it with a dog! I didn't believe it, so I had to go see.

It just so happened that the going out course had a nice path back to camp at 30 minutes and you had better making some money or else. I doubt that this is any different. Why would it be? If they don't feel you're moving another dog out, why should we use up the horse flesh watching something that they're not gonna use? Another thing...the Best of Breed dog. Let me tell you about last year. If you had a clean breed dog early on you stood a pretty good chance at the breed ribbon.....it didn't matter once the 30 minute rule was in play that you might be beating the breed dog they were carrying...if you weren't beating the 4 they had, you were going back to camp.
Dan

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:28 am

Wyndancer wrote: Hey my intel could be wrong....but I can tell you this.
And my initial source is wrong. I spoke with another person there this am. Things are moving right along, and no worries about moving things along to finish. My apologies to all.
Dan

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:43 am

Wyndancer

I know one of the judges who judged that last year. One of the nicest guys you will EVER meet! I talked to him about that last fall at a trial. If I remember correctly, they ran into weather trouble last year and they were running out of time. I dont think they really had a choice but to run 30 minute braces if they wanted to get the trial done. He also said the dog that won it was awesome, and they knew almost immediately if a dog was going to give it a run for its money or not. Plus, it wasn't a qualifying trial like this years Nationals. This year dogs are fighting for one of the top 12 spots to hopefully get called back for the last days running. And there hasn't been a ton of bird work. You cant compare last years nationals to this years because they are very different.

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:31 am

Jet,

You don't have to tell me about the weather...I was there, sitting around for the snow to melt. Also I suspect the riding is much more difficult at Mile Post 9 than Ames.

And yeah, Jerry is a nice fella. I had breakfast with him the morning after he fell off. My pro thinks the world of Tim Schillerif (sp?) as well. All I'm saying is that unless you're moving somebody out, really what's the sense of keeping on going? The horses don't need the work. But I suspect that there are defined breakaways for each of the courses and, "Hey we're going that way anyway, so let's go." and if the judges want to watch, I say let'em keep on keepin' on.

I rode the winner's brace last year, Brian Hill's dog. Did a fine job.
Dan

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:05 pm

Normally I would say your correct. But there hasn't been a ton of bird work, only 5 of the dogs posted so far have birds. And they are calling back up to 12 dogs possibly. So where is the line between dog 12 and 13? The way this trial is being run, I don't think its nearly as black and white as most NC trials, especially the AF Nationals where they only place 1 dog. I don't think anyone knows how many dogs are going to be called back. All we know is "up to" 12. Also, just because a dog is the "day dog" doesn't mean its going to get called back either. It seems like they are posting 2 dogs per day. Is that a coincidence, or has there really been two top dogs every day? Has there been any days where 3 dogs really put down a great brace, one of them isn't on the board, yet its in the running for the call back? I don't know. I wish that part was a little more black and white so people knew. I with they would just post dogs that are in the running. Im not a fan of the "day dog" thing. There might be a "day dog" that sucks, but was the best of the crappy dogs that day! I don't know.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:17 pm

just goes to show ya, ya can't believe some of the scuttlebutt that floats around the trial grounds. In most years the can't beat em, put em on a rope scenario is most likely, this year probably not so much. Your right that there are designated places for picking up and dropping off braces, so yes, you have to continue on that way anyhow. Some handlers have indeed picked up dogs that just weren't cutting the mustard and judges have kept track of "gone too long times" as well.

I'm on the plane heading home... hope everyone stays safe there and their dogs make them happy! And I'm hoping for a good phone call later in the week.........
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:38 pm

jetjockey wrote:Normally I would say your correct. But there hasn't been a ton of bird work, only 5 of the dogs posted so far have birds. And they are calling back up to 12 dogs possibly. So where is the line between dog 12 and 13? The way this trial is being run, I don't think its nearly as black and white as most NC trials, especially the AF Nationals where they only place 1 dog. I don't think anyone knows how many dogs are going to be called back. All we know is "up to" 12. Also, just because a dog is the "day dog" doesn't mean its going to get called back either. It seems like they are posting 2 dogs per day. Is that a coincidence, or has there really been two top dogs every day? Has there been any days where 3 dogs really put down a great brace, one of them isn't on the board, yet its in the running for the call back? I don't know. I wish that part was a little more black and white so people knew. I with they would just post dogs that are in the running. Im not a fan of the "day dog" thing. There might be a "day dog" that sucks, but was the best of the crappy dogs that day! I don't know.
Jet....I'm not a fan of the Dog of The Day posting.
Dan