best airline to ship a pup

griffgirl

best airline to ship a pup

Post by griffgirl » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:49 pm

Im getting a new little guy shipped to me in March and I just cant remember what airline I used for my first one.The breeder wants to use Continential.Looking for some thoughts as to which one......Thanks Shawn

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:30 pm

continental is the best. pressureized/climate controlled cargo. the cont. cargo staff is great with pets. i used cont. to ship my dogs and would have to say i won't use anyone else

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:32 pm

All airlines are pressurized if they take live animals. Otherwise they would be down to 40 or 50 below zero and no oxegen.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:32 pm

I flew one in on Delta. Overall I gave them a D- on the job they did. The dog came from Kansas City through Cincinatti to Toledo. They missed putting him on the connecting flight and left the pup in sitting in Cincinatti an extra 2 hours until the they could get him on the next flight to Toledo. The plane lands in Toledo (very small airport), I'm watching out the window and no dog. I ask the counter person where the dog was and they were like "What dog?"

It took them 45 minutes to an hour just to figure out where the dog was. They finally found him on the tarmac in Cincinatti!!

Needless to say I was just a little pissed.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:40 pm

midwestfisherman wrote:I flew one in on Delta. Overall I gave them a D- on the job they did. The dog came from Kansas City through Cincinatti to Toledo. They missed putting him on the connecting flight and left the pup in sitting in Cincinatti an extra 2 hours until the they could get him on the next flight to Toledo. The plane lands in Toledo (very small airport), I'm watching out the window and no dog. I ask the counter person where the dog was and they were like "What dog?"

It took them 45 minutes to an hour just to figure out where the dog was. They finally found him on the tarmac in Cincinatti!!

Oh I hate hearing stories like that.With my frist pup, thats all I was worried about where things like that.I did pay the extra for a non stop flight and would be willing to do so again.

katababa

Post by katababa » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:40 pm

def continental . .they dont ship the dogs as cargo, have their very own pressurized cabin, not sitting in with the luggage and they never leave the dog on the tarmac, there is someone assigned to the dog at all times when the plane is on the ground

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:47 pm

I used Continental to get my dogs to and from Alaska and was very pleased.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:56 pm

griffgirl wrote:
midwestfisherman wrote:I flew one in on Delta. Overall I gave them a D- on the job they did. The dog came from Kansas City through Cincinatti to Toledo. They missed putting him on the connecting flight and left the pup in sitting in Cincinatti an extra 2 hours until the they could get him on the next flight to Toledo. The plane lands in Toledo (very small airport), I'm watching out the window and no dog. I ask the counter person where the dog was and they were like "What dog?"

Oh I hate hearing stories like that.With my frist pup, thats all I was worried about where things like that.I did pay the extra for a non stop flight and would be willing to do so again.
I would have done the same. Neither the shipper of myself knew it had a connecting flight. Definitely need to check the details of the flight, etc.
Image * Image

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:08 pm

Just talked to continental and they dont have flights for animals that come to Wisconsin.The flights that come to WI are all non pressurized.Doesnt make any sense.
What about Northwest?They seemed pretty nice on the phone and he can travel VIP right to GreenBay but there would be a change over of about an hour.
Any comments on NWA?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:00 pm

unfortunately no matter what airlines you use the faulty part is the HUMANS invovled

For the most part Contin and Delta are the two that do the best over all
i know some bad storys on cont also miss connections lost tags
I know many good stories on delta my last pup was shipped delta and will let you know about tonight as I have 2 coming from Rick Smith via Delta this evening
just called the pet first they said that flight is on schedule and they should be there on time
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:37 pm

Last time we had a discussion like this I think NW was the airline of choice.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

john

Post by john » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:52 pm

I used Delta and had no problems

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:56 pm

I had a good experience with NW and bad experience with Delta.

Probably the fact that it was a direct flight on NW was the main difference.
Like K9 said it is an employee problem. My Delta deal someone left the in pup sitting in Cinci until the next flight out and then it was too late to catch the last connecting flight out of SLC.
Instead of a 10 hr trip it was 30 hr trip. Quite an ordeal for an 8 week old pup.

The real thing that bothered me was they could not even tell me where the dog was. They assured me it was being well taken care. Feeding, getting let out, fresh water etc.

The next day when I finally received the dog they acted as if it was no big deal.

When we talked to different people at the the Cinci and SLC airports after we got her home I just got the run around and never really could confirm that they did anything for the pup.

I guess the moral to the story is you pay your nickle and take your chance. Hope for the best

Regards
Gary

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:01 pm

Finding the most direct flight is the best thing
not always possible but it does take out the transfer mess ups
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:33 pm

I have had good luck with Delta.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:07 pm

well My two pups from rick Just arrived from Delta....They are ready to get out and play..they had a transfer in georgia

So that is 2 shipments from delta and pups and thankfully no problems

will get pics of the new babies when I get home

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:15 pm

NWA... I will never ship a dog or fly on them ever again after what they put my last setter thru. WDO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:44 pm

I used NWA for my trip up to North Dakota. There was a person (van actually) that was responsible for him the whole time. Didn't have any issues. I'm sure my dog was scared due to what was going on but he ended up being fine.

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:02 pm

We only have NWA in Grand Forks :roll: but they treated my cat just fine.
Fay P.
Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
Penny's Pedigree
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=270

steve schultz

Post by steve schultz » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:02 pm

Continental has killed more dogs then any other airline in the industry by more than double and in some cases triple. Please use caution

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:23 pm

Delta from Southern Indiana

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:27 pm

These horror stories are why I won't ship a dog. I'll take a weekend and go pick one up before I ship anymore.
Image * Image

Wa Chukar Hunter

Hmmm

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:55 am

I have had dogs shipped on Alaska, NWA, Continental, Delta, American, and United. I never had any problems.

Right, now I prefer to use American Airlines.

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:27 pm

steve schultz wrote:Continental has killed more dogs then any other airline in the industry by more than double and in some cases triple. Please use caution
Where did you get those stats? I'm not doubting you, just curious.

steve schultz

Post by steve schultz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:32 pm

All airlines must report death of all pets shipped to the dept of trans. They list all the airlines and the pets lost. Continental has been at the top of the list. The number of pets ( dogs,cats and other) is listed by each airline. It should be noted that they only have to report animals that are owned. A breeder shiping a pup that is lost is not reported to the dept of trans.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:04 pm

Numbers don'tmean much till we know how many they carry. Give us percentage of each airline.

Ezzy

steve schultz

Post by steve schultz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:44 pm

I don't have the stats for number of pets flown you would have to check the dot. The only list i had was the number of pets lost. NWA, Delta, United and american were on the low side. I will try and get the info on monday.

steve schultz

Post by steve schultz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:53 pm

I do know that NWA made about 28 million flying pets last year at about 250 to 300 per pet.

cjs180

Post by cjs180 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:10 pm

I have used Delta for 4 full grown dogs and all went well. Out of Appleton WI, I do not think there are any other airlines that ship all over.

Trapline

I have used NWA

Post by Trapline » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:58 am

I have used NWA for shipping as well as taking dogs with me. They have always been a top notch organization to work with wether I was shipping or traveling with the dog.