New pup play biting with my older dog

BANG-BANG

New pup play biting with my older dog

Post by BANG-BANG » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:15 am

I got this 6 m old gsp about a month ago. She has settle in very well; however, she continues to play bite with my older gsp and just don't know when to stop. The older gsp would play for a little then decided to quit but the pup continues to play bite on the older gsp's sholder, colar, hind legs and so on. This has made the older (3 yrs) dog don't want to stay out on the yard as long as she used to or like to. Can this be stop? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.[/b]

edondero

Post by edondero » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:42 am

I had the same problem, new GSP pup was relentless on my 8 year old weim. I called trainers about it but finally decided it was harmless and they would figure it out on their own. A month is still early, if your older dog was really bothered he would surely let the little pup know it and put the pup in his place. A few more weeks and it will pass.

But then again, I'm no expert. Situation just sounds familiar.

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:57 am

I agree it will pass the older dog will let her know if its really buggin her, they speak the same language. :wink:
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:16 am

The older dog will let the pup know when she has had enough.

One thing I will mention though is that you need to take the collars off of the dogs. The pup could get its jaw caught in the older dog's collar and cause serious injury to both. A friend of mine had this happen to her dogs.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

BANG-BANG

Post by BANG-BANG » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:13 pm

Thanks for the re-assurance. I hope it will go away. When they are out hunting, no playing around so that is good. It is only when they are out in the back yard. I'm just a little concern about bitting on the hind legs. The older dog is a submisive type and is a little afraid of the puppy already because they are almost the same size. Thank you all.

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:32 pm

I currently have 10 dogs ranging from 12 years to 5 months and the pups pester the daylights out of the old ones.

They tolerate it, in fact I think the old dogs even like it most of the time but if the pups go to far they get spanked just like human kids.

I would not worry about your older dog
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:42 pm

Our 12-week-old Brittany puppy pesters the crud out of our 6-y/o Airedale, too, and for the most part, he plays back. She's relentless though; she goes straight for his lips. :shock: :lol: It's funny the way their play has evolved. At first, he was so gentle with and tolerant of her. Then he started getting a little bolder, using his nose to tip her over onto her back. Then he got to where he would nip her back. Now, they play full out, growling like crazy and wrestling around. It will be interesting to see how it continues to evolve as she gets bigger.
LORI
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=966

"It is not a mark of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti

edondero

Post by edondero » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:00 pm

Here they are when I first brought the pup home, to this day they fight for LAP SPACE. I, myself, have caught a few paws to the face as they try to one up each other.

corytch

Post by corytch » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:01 pm

I have had the same prob out of my 14 week old male britt with my 15 month old female. i have noticed that my female has began to get more aggresive toward the pup. i just tell them no bite. my concern is when i go to a hunt test or field trial that my britts will want to play like that with other dogs. i dont want it to be a problem. especially when i here problems about other aggresive dogs at trials being a problem

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:05 pm

I have a 2 year old GSP, and one that is 9 months old now. When the male was youner he would flea bite and pester the older female all the time until it got too ruff, then I'd hear a yelp :D Older one puts him in his place. He is 9 months old now, and the constant pestering has stopped. Funny thing is now the older female will flea bite on him when he's not expecting it, and get him to chase her :lol:

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:45 am

I've been having the same issue with my 7 m/o pointer and 3 year old GSP...except she really doesn't put him in his place, if anybody yelps it's the older dog. She also avoids him like the plague if they're inside together, she'll go to a different room! I don't understand why she won't put him in his place, but she just takes it and tries to avoid him for the most part :roll: She was the same way when she was his age with other dogs though, guess what goes around comes around.

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:54 pm

My 2yr old Brit won't leave the puppy alone! Finally yesterday the puppy got the guts to get back at her, and now it sounds like WW2 at my house every time the pup is out of her kennel :lol:
Fay P.
Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
Penny's Pedigree
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=270

CBRenthusiast

Post by CBRenthusiast » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:25 pm

Its all just a pack leader type deal or pack order from my experience. The older dog will usually let the pup know who should be respecting who in his own time or when the elder thinks its gone too far. Not always is it the elder though, sometimes the pup will push the elder to submission. Either way, let them learn their own pack order unless it bothers you or something gets out of control