Does your dog do this?

GSP 4 me

Does your dog do this?

Post by GSP 4 me » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:58 pm

My GSP has a new interest in shiny reflections that move about the house. I think this stemmed from the laser pointer my bro-in-law was using to play with the dog about a month ago.

I want to try and put a stop to this because he now spends time searching and looking up at the ceilings at my in-laws for any reflections that may pop up. You'd be surprised just how often this happens (washing pots and pans, using aluminum foil, tv remotes..you name it). :roll:

I know he has some real strong prey drive, but I want him to relax at home.

Any suggestions or possible solutions? Maybe use a flashlight to shine light on the floor and let him "catch" it? Perhaps he'll realize it's not worth his attention anymore.

Another possibility might be to use the e-collar anytime he goes for the object until he associates the reflection with the correction. I wouldn't say anything so that he would think the reflection did it to him.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:08 pm

I don't understand why you would want to restrain play. Most of the time they just get bored with things like that after awhile, and quite. but if you want to stop him from running around to much, how about just "No."

I would not use an ecollar simply to discourage a dog from playing.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:09 pm

All I can say is to try to redirect the behavior when you notice it with something like a sit command or shake or something like that. Also, sometimes working with the dog on a command like "Watch me" will work. Do not use the flashlight as it will only reinforce the behavior. We get a lot of dogs in rescue because of this (type of OCD). After that, call a professional.

Carla

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:11 pm

My dogs chase a flashlght beam. Great fun! Look at it this way, it's not something you care weather they catch or not.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:40 am

Leave that dog alone. Three of mine do it. One is 7 she is the best dog in the house. That dog will hunt and run any game I put her in. If you want to slow down the behavior just go run it train on birds etc. Don't knock down her want.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:45 am

We had a dog that would chase shadows when she was bored. Don't think it ever hurt a thing and she never did kill one :lol:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:56 am

Ya wanna know what a real pain is, Bodie gets on my lap, as much as shows, and chases the cursor on the computer when I move it!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:13 am

Puppies like kids canfind something to do with their energy. I can't remember ever having one of either relaxbecause I wanted them to. From all that we know today that is probably a good thing as we seldom hear of any health problems from too much interest or activity.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:23 am

the other day my dog started spazzing and i didn't know why, i thought she was cramping up or something. after a little observation i noticed the sun was reflecting off my watch and she was trying to catch the reflection. had a little more fun with it after i noticed what was going on.

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. The last thing I want to do is slow down his prey drive. Just makes it tough around the house when he goes after those reflections with the same enthusiasm as if he's out in the field.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:44 pm

If he is verging on taking someone down, running into them and knocking them over, then discourage it, but I would just use No.

All too soon the pup will be older, then old, and you will wish for those puppy days again.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:12 pm

My daughters G.S.P. bitch is 10 years old now and still loves to try to catch moving light of any kind on the floor or the walls. Her litter sister owned by me has never taken an interest in this. Personally , I don't think it does any harm although I would not allow a dog to become obsessive about it.

Bill T.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:42 pm

Now there's a topic for a whole new thread - How to train a younger dog to "relax" ! :)