Hunt test handling mistakes

arrowbanshee

Hunt test handling mistakes

Post by arrowbanshee » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:56 pm

I have really enjoyed the trial handling mistakes thread but since I dont believe I will be going that route, I would like to read some stories or peoples opinions of dos and donts on hunt tests. Thanks

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:21 pm

SH's need to be steady to wing but not shot, right? Time and again, I see handlers kick the bird up and stand there watching it fly off instead of shooting their gun. Shoot the gun! If the dog breaks after that, all is well and you keep going. But stand there like an idiot until the dog decides to release himself and go after the bird, and you get your brace cut short and a judge telling you how you screwed up. :)

On the flipside, I don't know if I'd call it a real 'mistake' as the folks guilty of it generally intentionally do it - but kicking the bird and immediately shooting the gun in SH - figuring all is well once the gun is shot. Um - noooo - you DO need to demonstrate that the dog is steady to wing, so firing before the bird is 6 inches off the ground doesn't quite cut it.
Most judges aren't dumb and can figure out that you're trying to hide the fact that your dog isn't at all steady. :)

Mostly in JH - easily the worst mistake to make, firing your gun in your honoring bracemate's face, or the judge's horse's face, etc. Take your time! You don't have to be in a hurry. No judge in his right mind is going to fail you for taking a few extra seconds to make sure you're firing your gun in a safe direction.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

edondero

Post by edondero » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:53 pm

i need JH tips please. (even though i think its mostly the dogs work at this level) very thankful for everyone's help.

birddog1220

Post by birddog1220 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:36 pm

after this weekend i saw plenty. dogs not retreving,or backing. but the single biggest mistake i saw was it seamed like the first person to hit the bird field tried to find all the birds before his bracemate got there.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:55 pm

edondero wrote:i need JH tips please. (even though i think its mostly the dogs work at this level) very thankful for everyone's help.
Just be quiet and let your dog work. I see too many handlers who try to "help" the dog by talking too much. Hacking your dog will also ding you on your trainability score.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

corytch

Post by corytch » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:15 pm

check out the hunt test tips in the training forum. It was very helpfull for me. also if you blank pistol dose not fire just yell BANG!!!

td

talk to experienced hunters / gunners

Post by td » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:57 pm

I have now gunned for 3 AKC events. A newbie by any yard stick. However, I have learned more about my dogs training needs from those 6 days than in the previous 3 years.

1. People who hunt upland game or can access the entirity of a pointing scenario like a hunter, have a much greater change of getting their bird cleanly shot for a retrieve.

If you do not hunt or train a lot, talk (make that listen) to people who do. Learn how to read the wind, cover, scenting conditions and your dogs body language to help you get the best outcome from the stiuation.

2. Have a dog that will stand for as long as it takes.

This weekend, I gunned for the best handler I've ever shot for (I let him down on Saturday but made up for it on Sunday). When any of his dogs went on point, he was cool as a cucumber. He looked around, moved judges, waited until the other handler and dog were safe and found the bird before bringing us in for the flush. Every time the bird flew, we had nearly 180 degrees of freedom. All of that took time... 2 minutes plus. Both his Senior and Master dogs just stood there. Like stones through it all.... impressive.

3. Backing is almost always a weak link. If your big burly GSP has never backed a furry little Brittany, guess who your gonna see next weekend :-)

Every time I gun, I see my dogs weaknesses in other dogs. Hopefully, those three tips will help some folks do a little less breath holding at the next HT.

Have a great evening everyone...

Things to do....
1. become a better shot
2. shoot better
3. better my shooting
4. ....