Breeding

garytglenn

Breeding

Post by garytglenn » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:52 pm

I have a Brittany whose daddy was a champion field trial dog named "Hammer" The guy who sold me the dog several years back recently saw him and wants to breed him. I have no idea what to ask for a stud fee. I cannot take a pup because I know I am not going to get enough for it to pay the divorce lawyer. Can anybody give me a rough range. This guy really has an advantage on me because he is into breeding and trials bigtime and I just hunt my dog.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:26 pm

how bout what he would charge for a pup, instead of a pup?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Stud fee

Post by BigShooter » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:31 pm

I don't know about Brits but well known, well proven GSP studs can run from $600 to $1,500. The top fee being for a National Champion field trial stud. Obviously you'll find younger, less well proven dogs with excellent pedigrees for lower fees in the range of say $400-$600.

Lots of Brit breeders on this site. They'll probably chime in.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:59 pm

It's customary in our area to get a puppy or the price of a puppy.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:31 pm

Ditto what hicotton said
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

tfbirddog2

breeding

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:02 am

I would take $500 for a stud fee for sure thats a good price for a britt or GSP since you cant take a pup.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

CherrystoneWeims

Re: breeding

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:12 pm

tfbirddog2 wrote:I would take $500 for a stud fee for sure thats a good price for a britt or GSP since you cant take a pup.
Yes and you don't yet know what your dog is capable of producing. That's what I started out getting at first for my stud dog. Once he was a proven stud (multiple winning offspring) then I raised it.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH