Dog Fight

harge57

Dog Fight

Post by harge57 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:32 pm

I have a 1.5 yr GSP. He got in a fight with my roomates 2yr old boxer, the boxer had a few cuts on his face but both dogs are ok.

They have lived together for a year and half now since mine was a pup, this is the first fight.

The problem: They still cant get near each other or they both grow back the mohawks. It has been about 4 days now.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:14 am

You have two males (intact probably) that are in the full blown rages of passing from puberty to adulthood. It's normal for this to happen and for them to continue being "growly" at one another until one of them has established himself as the Alpha.

Before it gets any worse you might consider putting a bark collar on each of them. More often than not a dog is going to growl and bark before jumping in for the fight.

That MIGHT deter it from going to "the next step".

Usually these things work themselves out, but if it doesn't then they could very well both soon reach a point at which they will have to be permanently separated to avoid srious injury or death to one or both. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:13 am

IMO it wont go away and the bark collar idea is just as likley to spark a fight as stop one because the dog will interpret it as pain from his rival. I would not do it.

I do a lot of work with rescue dogs and have had a couple like this, I've got pretty much experience training dogs (30 plus years) and never have successfully corrected this behavior.

My advice would be to crate them both , muzzle them if they are not crated and never leave them alone muzzles can be pulled off unsupervised dogs and if one has one on and the other doesn't it could really be bad.

You need to get rid of one of these dogs or get a new roommate, I'd get a new room mate assuming you are a college kid.

What ever you do don't let them "fight it out" permanent injury or death is possible, and likely.

this is a great web site with alot of free info on dominant and agressive dogs ect. read the articles on it especailly the ones on dog fights

http://www.leerburg.com/qadogfight.htm

you will see that training this behavior out of them is nearly impossible
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

MSC SMOKE

Post by MSC SMOKE » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:26 am

I agree with Bobman. Sooner or later, they will have to decide who is the boss and if happens when y'all are away it could be bad. Need to go ahead and solve the problem now and save all that stress on you and the dogs.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:42 am

If I use a shock collar for this behavior, it is used at the moment the dog looks the direction of other dog, I do not wait for a growl, may be too late at that point. I use it with a negative command, like Ahhh. If used consistantly with the command for awhile, then you should just be able to use the command to deter it before it escalates. Use a level of the collar that gets thru to them, no little nick. Tat dog needs to know looking at the other dog is highly unpleasant, and coming off means lots of praise. Keep them crated when gone and NEVER allow them to antangonize thru the crate or fence.
brenda

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:09 am

When any male dogs try to fight I tackle em and hold em down laying on em. Let em know I am boss of them and Iwill not tolerate that type of behaviour. Had this happen with a hunting Pit Bull I owned and a GSP I had at that time. 3 or 4 times of this and they plum gave up the fight. Reward them with treats when they got along. It worked for me anyways.

I used to take both hunting, the pit could get me very close to deer, like 30 ft or so. Also used him on wild pig and rattlers. Wish I had filmed that dog in action on a 10 ft eastern diamond back I had :) I used to do snakes too gave it up when family started having kids.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:27 pm

When any male dogs try to fight I tackle em and hold em down laying on em. Let em know I am boss of them and Iwill not tolerate that type of behaviour.
I've tackled a dog before & held em down but not in a fight situation. In H57's case with two dogs, two different owners but say just one guy in the room, which dog would you tackle first? What do you think this would teach the second dog? How fast would you let the first one go and take down the second dog? How many times do you think he'd have to do this to get results?

No argument from here ... just wondering.

rosiesdad

Post by rosiesdad » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:59 pm

Two male dogs trying to kill each other and you think you can stop it? Its gone too far already and those two WILL go at it again.
Unless one or the other gives up (not likely from the sounds of it) you are going to be sorry if they can get to each other. Then you or your room mate will be hurt trying to break it up.
Crate em, or move one on.
Only two seasons, bird season and getting ready for bird season

briguyz71

Post by briguyz71 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:28 pm

My two males had the same problem. Had them for 8 years and never got any better. They would fence fight with bark collars on. I moved on and only have one male now. Some days they would be fine near each other and then out of the blue they would be at each other. Try reading up on the dog whisperer Ceasar (yes I know its Hollywood) on the discovery channel, he's the only one I've seen have any success.
Bri

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:35 pm

Sooner or later it will work itself out but the bad part is (like someone said) it will get much worse before one of them gives in to the other. It can end with serious injury or death. Seperate them or get ready for things to really get rough.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:20 pm

which dog would you tackle first?
I grab em both. I am very strong and isnt too many as big as me. Broke up pits so shorthairs arnt much for me. See my noodle thread. 6 ft 2 and 240 solid. HAve run dogs for years and broke up a few fight. Seems eome dolt will bring in a dog that isnt social, he learns fast around me.

Two male dogs trying to kill each other and you think you can stop it?
Uh why yes I do. You should have seen me in my glory days as a bouncer, took guns from guys, was shot up, was stabbed, took 5 guys out once and taught em to be nice to others. Dont mean to sound all over myself but Ido know my ablities wit hdogs. Used to break up pitbull fight, had a steel rod tho dont think I need one with a shorthair. Teach that dog you are the boss or he will boss you. Never let a dog intimidate you, if he growls you get at him now. Least that has been my expirience. Dont fix it now how you gonna hunt him with other dogs ever?

Which dog started it? That one I would focus on first. Takes a iron hand for this. Or keep em apart and hope it doesnt continue in the field. Boxer dont hunt (Altho I saw one in the field this last year). I doubt the shorthair would provoke a fight unless the other took a snack away or toy. 1.5 is young enuff to stop this right now. Let it go and it could develop into a kid biter.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:13 pm

I had the same problem with 2 spayed females. My dog was very nice temperament, had been socialized around dog her whole life. My girl friend had a dog that would kill mine in a minute if they were together. Her dog was never properly trained or socialized and it was never going to work out. One was always crated or outside etc. Never loose in the house. Very stressful to live that way.

We finally broke up after 3 years as neither one of us were going to get rid of our dogs. We are still friends today but both dogs have now died of old age.

harge57

Post by harge57 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:29 pm

Ok so what do yall recomend I do. We are just keeping them seperated for now. We have tried to reintroduce them to each other with no success so far.

Should we continue to reintroduce and hope they get used to it.
Should we just seperate them and hope time is the answer.

Oh by the way I tackled my dog in the last fight (third roomate let a dog out on accident) I pinned him on his back. His eyes never left the other dog. Didn't seem to get the picture.

What do you reccomend.

jcbuch

Post by jcbuch » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:49 am

I had a lab years ago who was coming into age 1 1/2 years old, never fought anything was socialized right and a great dog. was in grad school at the time and moved in with a roomate with a 5 year old boxer. The got into it a few times. I moved out but unfortunately my lab was an aggressive dog toward any big dogs for the 14 years I had him. He was great with people but if he saw another dog, he didn't know it was not good.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:06 am

We have tried to reintroduce them to each other with no success so far.
Which dog starts it? or is it a mutual thing? Get a muzzle from a good dog supply house and muzzle em both, then slowly re introduce them to each other. If they get growly grab the nose and say no bite in a commanding voice. They may come around. At least they wont be able to hurt each other much.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:20 am

Put both dogs on a leash, make them lie down near each other. Neither can look at the other!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a glance, not a growl. They must learn to ignore each other at this point.

The moment one dog looks at the other dog, that dog gets a correction. Doesn't have to be overly harsh, a yank on the collar, a finger into the soft spot behind the shoulder blade. Enough to let the dog know it's not acceptable.

They both need to learn to interact again, to forget the fight and it will take some work on your part. But it can be done if you are willing to put the time into the training.

Take them both for a walk, muzzled if that will make you more comfortable. Short leads, walk with you, not taking you for a walk. Control, it's all about control.

Good luck
Fuzz